Thinking about breeding my chihuahuas,advice needed

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by GizmoMogwai01, Feb 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GizmoMogwai01

GizmoMogwai01 PetForums Newbie

Hi all I’m new to this forum and this is my first post ☺️So I have two chihuahuas Gizmo who’s 2 in March and Violet who is 1 tomorrow! We would love to breed them as we want to add to our chihuahuas and why pay out a fortune if we can get our own from them?! I know it’s not that simple though!i have been doing a lot of research and have had a lot of advice some that I’m quite confused by. She is due in season around April time ( her second season) and Gizmo is a proven stud so would like to use him as he’s so lovely and I think they could produce some beautiful pups together. Okay so this is my problem....basically gizmo is bigger than violet and from doing my research the bitch should be bigger than the dog. Can anyone offer me any advice on this?have u had experience in mating chihuahuas, and have you mated them with the bitch being smaller? I’m considering taking her to another stud but would like to use my own tbh as I know his background etc. Any advice will be much appreciated :)

2. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

You say you don't want to pay out a lot of money to buy another puppy and you think it will be cheaper to breed your own puppy. Have you thought about how much it will cost you if your bitch requires a C section? Probably about £1000! Can you afford this?
    How will you feel if it goes badly wrong and the puppies don't survive and even worse, your bitch dies?

I'm painting the worst possible scenarios because these things do happen and are absolutely heartbreaking as well as expensive. There are enough dogs and puppies in rescue without someone else adding to them. If you really want to have another Chi there will be plenty of puppies in rescue especially a few months after Christmas as apparently for some people a dog really is just for Christmas:rolleyes:

FeelTheBern, PickleRoo and LinznMilly like this.
  3. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Do think this through carefully.

We had someone post here only a couple of days ago whose bitch had died following a C Section and they are now handrearing three newborn pups.

I would not mate a bitch to a dog much bigger than her. I used to breed PRTs and most bitches then were an inch or so smaller than the dogs, but in a breed such as Chihuahuas, it could be risky.

If you use a good stud dog, it will cost several hundred pounds and most conscientious Breeders wouldn't allow their stud dog to be used on a bitch who has not had all relevant health tests carried out.

If I were you, I would simply buy another pup.

4. GizmoMogwai01

5. GizmoMogwai01

Thanks for reply’s. sorry it kind of came out wrong. I don’t mean to save money as I know how expensive this might turn out especially if she needed a c-section etc. I have money set aside that would cover vets bills/c-section. I adore both my dogs to bits I really do and only want the best for them and they are part of our family. I have thought about every possible outcome and I know that things can go wrong! There both stunning in every way and I’m sure would produce some equally beautiful pups that’s why I’d like to breed them rather than go out any buy another one. I know both my dogs backgrounds well and they both have really good pedigrees. I find it all fascinating and have the time to be able to spend with them every step of the way. I understand there’s a lot of dogs that need a new home and would consider adopting from a shelter in the future, but really wanted to consider breeding them. Gizmo is slightly bigger than violet that’s whats concerning me. I mean I could take her to another stud and it still might go wrong

6. ouesi

ouesi Guest

What are the recommended health tests for chihuahuas?

FeelTheBern, LinznMilly and Sproglet like this.
  7. SingingWhippet

SingingWhippet PetForums VIP

It would work out much cheaper (not to mention easier, less stressful and obviously less risky for your bitch) to buy a puppy from a breeder rather than to breed one yourself. It's not an inexpensive endeavour even when you own both dogs and everything goes well. You've got health tests for both dogs, all the associated vet care, extra food, higher than usual bill from the extra power and water you end up using. Do you work? If so you'll need to take time off work to be with the litter and remember that chihuahua puppies shouldn't really go to their new homes before they're twelve weeks old rather than the usual eight weeks for most other breeds. If there are complications then obviously the monetary (not to mention emotional) cost goes up very quickly indeed and chihuahuas are somewhat prone to having complications during and after whelping. Approximately 30% of chihuahua litters are born via c section and being such a small breed they're quite vulnerable to issues such as eclampsia.

Breeding isn't something you just want to jump into without help and guidance. You can read and research until the cows come home but really nothing beats having someone experienced and knowledgeable who can guide you through the whole process, including being on hand to offer support and advice whenever you need it. Do you have someone like that? The breeder of either of your dogs maybe?

Obviously size may be an issue, particularly in such a small breed which is also rather prone to whelping difficulties, but there's so much more to choosing a suitable stud than that. Is your boy really the best possible stud dog for your bitch? By using him are you really stacking the odds as far in your favour as possible of producing sound and healthy puppies? Have you done all the appropriate health testing? Researched their lines for signs of all the health issues within the breed that can't be tested for? Do you know about inbreeding coefficients and why they're so important? Have you worked out the COI for a mating between your dogs and would it be acceptable?

Raising a litter is (or should be) hard work, it's not just playing with the cute puppies occasionally but letting mum do most of the work. What happens during the first few weeks of a pup's life can have a very lasting impact and it'd be your job to make sure they'd be getting the absolute best possible start. The Puppy Plan gives quite a good breakdown of the sort of things a conscientious breeder should be doing with their litters but if you want the absolute gold standard I'd highly recommend checking out Puppy Culture. If you want some examples of PC in action have a look at these two breeders: Hannibal Newfoundlands and Austerlitz German Shepherds.

If you just want a new puppy then really the easiest, cheapest, safest and least stressful option is to find a decent breeder who has done all the hard work/expensive stuff and get a puppy from them.

If you're genuinely interested in breeding then I'd recommend getting involved in the breed community, join the breed club, find really responsible breeders who you can learn from. Do your research with regards to health issues in the breed (both those with available health tests and those without), learn about genetics (particularly genetic diversity within pedigree breeds), get to know exactly what it takes to be a really responsible breeder.

You might find some of the following links helpful/interesting:

AKC Guide to Responsible Breeding

The Institute of Canine Biology - particularly this article about inbreeding coefficients and this one about why health testing alone doesn't cut it in terms of breeding healthy dogs

Dog Breed Health: Chihuahua - a list of heritable issues within the breed both those which can be tested for and those which can't

UFAW: Hydrocephalus in Chihuahuas - an in depth page about hydrocephalus which the breed is prone to as a result of the often exaggerated rounded shape of the skull

Kennel Club Novice Breeder Checklist

Breeding and Selling Puppies

"Should I breed from my pet bitch?"

8. blakesmum

blakesmum PetForums Junior

Hi, obviously including all the above in your research, have you worked out the COI% ( co-efficiency of in-breeding percentage) between both male and female yet? Mykc.org has a fab tool to enable you to do so. If not a member, it's so easy to join, and if not in the UK, you can look at both's lineage to determine if too closely bred

GizmoMogwai01 likes this.
  9. GizmoMogwai01

Yes I do work I own my own business, but I work occasionally from home. So I know I’ll have the time to be with them. I’m not going to sit here and pretend to know everything cos I don’t I know I have a lot to learn!this is something I’ve been genuinely interested in for a long time. My parents bred labradors for years (I know it’s a different breed lol) but have seen a lot of things growing up around that. Ideally I’m thinking of waitin for her 3rd cycle if I was going to breed her so we’re still a way off, I’m just trying to gather as much info/guidance as I can before hand. I’m still in touch with the breeder I bought her from and she has been a lot of help. But it’s nice to hear different people opinions hense why I’m on here. I do appreciate every one comments/help but please try not to judge me I’m not one of these “let’s make loads of money by breeding our dogs” I’m not in It for the money. I’d happily keep them all!im genuinely interested in it

10. GizmoMogwai01

Please bare with me I’m knew to this forum stuff lol

11. danielled

danielled PetForums VIP

Are you aware of the reccommended health tests for chihuahuas? Health checks are different from health tests.

12. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

Why is your own boy such a good match for your girl? Why are you not considering outside studs? Is it more just a case of convenience? There is so much more to breeding than sticking two dogs together just because you own one of each sex and want cute puppies. If you have money set aside and own your own business then I'm not sure what you mean by not wanting to pay a 'fortune' for a new puppy as surely it wouldn't really be that expensive when you take into account the expense of breeding and rearing a litter.

FeelTheBern, Sarah H and lorilu like this.
  13. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

None of this offers any good reason to breed these dogs. Spay and neuter them and let them live out their lives in peace.

14. GizmoMogwai01

I am considering outside studs I would just prefer to use my own that’s all. And when I say “spend a fortune when I can get my own at home” it’s a figure of speech. Why would I if I could potentially breed my own?!they have exeptional pedigrees. And if I’m honest I’m struggling to find anything of good enough quality compared to my own. I’ve came on here for some advice not for snide comments and to be judged and picked at

HollieCx likes this.
  15. GizmoMogwai01

And yes I’m aware of the recommended health checks

16. BlueJay

BlueJay wag more ★ bark less

Are the dogs themselves exceptional though?
    Any non biased outside opinion to tell you so?

Everyone thinks that their own dogs are the best, owners can often see them through rose tinted glasses ;)
    I'm not sure anyone is purposely being snide or judgy.... it's just that there are too many dogs being breed for all the wrong reasons as is.

17. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Is your bitch Kennel Club Registered?

18. GizmoMogwai01

I understand what your saying of course everyone thinks there own dogs are amazing etc but yes they really are. I was considering buying more from a breeder, whether it’s me just being over picky I just can’t find what I’m looking for. I’d love to show one one my dogs one day I was considering it but that’s a whole different ball game!lol I agree there’s a lot of people who breed there dogs and have no idea what there doing. That’s why I’m here to try and make sure I make the right desicion. I’m in touch with the breeder I bought violet off and she’s met my gizmo and I’m in her opinion they are excellent examples of their breed. I’m just so torn....it’s a big desicion to make

19. GizmoMogwai01

Yes she is kennel club registered

20. Sky Full Of Stars

Sky Full Of Stars PetForums Newbie

Hi there.
    If I were you I would wait another year (or more) so your girl Violet is at least 2 years old. That extra year will allow her to mature mentally and finish growing. I know chihuahuas don't grow like beanstalks but at the minute the size difference between her and Gizmo could cause problems during whelping and maybe the extra year could even out the difference. Take them both to some championship dog shows around the country to see just how close they are to the breed standard, maybe even work towards championship titles. Prove just how good they are! Which if they are indeed from good lineage shouldn't be hard. Complete any health tests for their breed and only then you should be good to go.

LinznMilly and GizmoMogwai01 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.