Thinking about breeding from your Bitch?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by petforum, Jul 5, 2008.

1. mbmbridge

mbmbridge PetForums Newbie

I agree with this 100%. You will need to go to your vet and get blood work done to see if it the correct time.

2. EllieTT

EllieTT PetForums Newbie

Can I ask what did you DNA test her? Have a BC and not sure if I should test everything available or not =)

3. SingingWhippet

SingingWhippet PetForums VIP

This page lists all the currently available tests for BCs. Unless your bitch is hereditarily clear for any individual conditions then I wouldn't skip any of the DNA tests.

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

DNA tests for CEA, TNS and CL. I used the Optigen test and went to a 20:20 clinic (20 dogs of the same breed on the same day, get a 20% discount) that was arranged to take place at one of the agility shows I was going to. Since then, there's also a new test for congenital B12 deficiency. I know someone who's got an affected dog and he'll need regular injections for life and is noticeably smaller than you'd expect for a BC of his breeding, and may also be more likely to be affected by other endocrine disorders. You can look up the disorders that Optigen tests for on their website.
    I would test everything available. I was in 2 minds about bothering to test for TNS as there were no recorded cases of it in Welsh Sheepdogs at the time, but one of a litter born a few weeks before my lot were due was affected, and had to be PTS at about 10 months. TNS and CL are rare but horrific when they happen, it's not worth the risk of producing pups that might suffer such horrible illnesses and early death when you can avoid it. Tests aren't cheap, but it's investing in the future of your breed and your 'keeper'.

5. EllieTT

EllieTT PetForums Newbie

Thank you for useful replies. I agree that it's worth investing, I definitely couldn't bare to be responsible for pups death, only because I didn't test. I researched a bit and ordered the tests from AnimaLabs. Prices are lower than in Optigen. First I was a bit sceptical but than I found out from a friend that she tested her German Shepherd there for coat color and was satisfied. For now I ordered a panel that includes CL, MDR1 and TNS, and CEA and got a 10% discount for FB like.

They have IGS for BC, I think it is the same test, if anyone has more experience pls take a look. Wasn't sure so I haven't ordered it yet. And what about Grey Collie syndrome??

Burrowzig likes this.
  6. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Yes, it's a test for the same disease. I hadn't heard of Grey Collie syndrome before, and it wouldn't affect mine because they are not grey or merle, but Labkolin offer a test for it.

7. EllieTT

EllieTT PetForums Newbie

My BC turned out clear for everything tested, only for CEA a carrier. I'll have to be careful about that but am very happy about the results :)

Burrowzig likes this.
  8. Lazhar

Lazhar PetForums Newbie

There are a billion things to ask oneself before getting involved with dog breeding. You don't breed your bitch because she looks good or you want to enjoy one litter.

What has to be done is your homework: are you bringing something to the table with progenies? Has your dog something special that's worth being passed on? Is your dog cleared from medical conditions?

Most breeds of dog should not be bred until they are at least 2 years old. However there are some breeds where it is recommended to wait until the dog is 3 before breeding, letting your bitch have a couple of blank heat cycles.

9. Alpha vs beta

Alpha vs beta Banned

That link is no longer available. Could you recommend another site to look at please :)

10. LindaK.

LindaK. PetForums Newbie

Hi im new here dont know if right place to ask you guys for advice please but here goes :) my dog just had pups and i was thinking of keeping a girl but I was told by a friend to keep the boy for their could be problems with having 2 girls such as attacking each other and even killing each other. Please can someone explain why this can be and is there any truth in it. Thanks

11. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

What Breed are they?

It is true that if two bitches decide they dislike each other, it can be worse than the same situation with a couple of males.

Isotonic and Jamesgoeswalkies like this.
  12. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Rafa is right in that bitches can be a bit hormonal together ....and this can cause issues ....although it has to be said some get on just fine. I have five bitches (one spayed, 4 not spayed yet) and I have never had to much as a grumble even when they are in season. I have two sets of mother and daughter.

J

13. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I had two bitches together and never a cross word was spoken, but I think breed type can be why some bitches don't get along so well.

Isotonic likes this.
  14. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I have mum and 2 twin daughters; never a grumble between any of them. Mum and one of the twins are both now spayed, but I'm looking into having a litter from the other girl in a year or so. They all play together, and there have been a few mid-air crashes causing minor injuries which they have all accepted without resentment. The twin sisters have even kept each other clean when in season (yuck).
    I did think of keeping one of the boy pups instead of the second girl, but the logistics of keeping him away from the other girl, and the mum before she was spayed, seemed more bother than it was worth.

15. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I have 2 bitches , grandmother and grand-daughter. They have the odd spat mainly due to the younger one being very posessive but have both settled down since spaying. They were certainly worse when hormonal !
    If I saw tension building up between them I would keep them apart for a few hours.

Incidentally why do you want to breed , what breed is your dog ?

#75 SusieRainbow, Jan 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  16. LindaK.

LindaK. PetForums Newbie

Hi they are cocker spaniels

17. Isotonic

Isotonic PetForums Newbie

I have personally bred cocker spaniels, the mother was 2 at the time, produced 4 pups (1 male, 3 female) all of which are alive to today in perfect health. The mother frequently shows dominance over the daughter. When they are together without anyone in the room, they are very loving to each other but if your playing with the beta (daughter) and the alpha (mother) comes up to me, mum will let out a couple of warning growls to let her know that "her turn" is over. If you scold this behaviour then it really won't matter, just a few semi silent growls every now and then. Once you tell her off she will usually wag her tail and run towards you to to cuddle/apologise. There has only been one fight when the daughter didn't know her place and they both jumped into the washing basket and out of no were started to almost bite eachother. At the time they weren't sprayed, now they are and as I said above only a few little snarls when the other one wants to cuddle.

18. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Agree.

I think it can be trickly with Terrier bitches.

I had two PRT bitches who would have fought to the death. No trigger was needed, just the sight of each other. They could never be in the same room.

19. Willie Mays

Willie Mays PetForums Newbie

The article was helpful for me. Thanks for creating and sharing a useful article about responsible dog breeding

20. Willie Mays

Willie Mays PetForums Newbie

The article was helpful for me. Thanks for creating and sharing a useful article about responsible dog breeding