Thinking about breeding from your Bitch?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by petforum, Jul 5, 2008.

1. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

I have labradors but would never consider breeding a cross breed. I train, compete and work my dogs and I tend to breed when a) I need a puppy and b) I have a bitch that is of such quality (health, temperament and working ability) that it would be a shame not to keep the genes in the gene pool and c) I have a number of other people wanting a pup.

It truth, some people do breed for money and they do make money too, although often short cuts in care and health testing. Some do it purely because they want to experience having a litter of puppies and some because they think they have the most fantastic bitch and the world needs her puppies and some because they think their bitch will miss out on motherhood!

None of the above are valid reasons IMO.

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I bred to make my next agility dog. Kite had done really well and was a joy to live with - very calm and attentive. Most collie pups I saw in training were not as good, so it made sense to breed from her. I did all the health tests with good results, great hips and DNA clear. I found another agility dog whose owner agreed to use him as sire (also health tested), and he was a perfect complement for Kite in terms of his build, he has a lovely temperament, and was from a well known agility line. Now, the pups they had could be called crossbreeds. Kite's a Welsh Sheepdog, the sire is a working sheepdog (Border collie without KC papers). As far as agility registration goes, Welsh Sheepdogs (as an unrecognised breed) have to be registered as working sheepdogs anyway.

All the litter went to agility homes, and I only asked for what it had cost to rear them in terms of food, vets, health tests, wormer etc and some time off work. I forgot to add in some items, so ended up with a modest financial loss but kept 2 gorgeous pups of a quality I could not have afforded to buy. I priced them as a non-profit on the basis that Kite is my best friend, not a cash cow and I wouldn't want to do anything that could be construed as exploiting her. I keep in touch with the other 4 pups.

3. Nurture Animal Housing

Nurture Animal Housing PetForums Newbie

I have to declare an interest here, my company manufactures high end whelping units.

Back to the question, why do people breed? In my years of showing, breeding and latterly running welfare I personally found three types of breeder. 1. Incidental breeders- two dogs happen upon each other because their owner forgot to have them neutered and the inevitable happened. 2- Cash orientated- speaks for itself. 3- Professional breeder. All three groups contain variations but generally speaking this has held true in my experience. Whatever the scenario hold onto the thought that the puppies you produce are your responsibility for life. They never asked to be born, if you decide that they should exist, you owe them. If you can't do it right, don't bother. If you cant find a loving home, be prepared to keep them. If you cant- don't.

Our ethos is if your going to do it, do it right. We are always willing to help the less experienced and to learn from the experts.

www.nurtureanimalhousing.co.uk

4. Nurture Animal Housing

Nurture Animal Housing PetForums Newbie

We are producing a series of expert articles on breeding and rearing, If they are of help I will post them here over the coming weeks.

5. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Written by someone with minimal experience and one who promotes puppy farming :Vomit

6. Lazhar

Lazhar PetForums Newbie

Well, if Breeding Business promotes puppy farm, it does a very bad job at it.

7. ouesi

ouesi Wag More Bark Less

OMG anyone who talks about breeding dogs for a living loses my vote right there! :Meh:Troll:Vomit

8. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Your book is all about making money from breeding...the only way to make money out of breeding is by cutting corners and having lots of litters on the ground throughout the year.

If you had even the smallest amount of experience of breeding ethically you would know that your book should have been a non starter ;)
    The only way your book doesn't promote puppy farming/unethical breeding is if it doesn't sell, so if that is the case then I am thankful ;)

9. Lazhar

Lazhar PetForums Newbie

Well, I disagree StormyThai. I believe 90% of responsible dog breeders are good at breeding dogs, this is it. To make a living from anything, you also need to be a good salesman, a good entrepreneur, a good marketer. And most dog breeders aren't. It is not one at the expenses of the others, it is all of them working together.

10. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

don' t think people want the most up to date guide on how to be a puppy farmer, that guide should be burnt and you are getting right up my nose advertising your stuff every chance you get..

simplysardonic and StormyThai like this.
  11. ouesi

ouesi Wag More Bark Less

Are you a breeder @Lazhar ?

12. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

We have had this conversation before...you can disagree all you like, your book promotes unethical breeding...simple!

13. Meezey

and neither they should be, dogs aren't for people like YOU to make a living from..

14. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

He gets a bit upset if you return the favour and spam his posts with goats tho :eek:

Meezey likes this.
  15. ouesi

ouesi Wag More Bark Less

A goat thread that I missed?! The humanity!!!

16. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

It was on fb.
    I got irritated by the constant spamming even after I and others had explained why this book was wrong, so myself and a friend spammed his thread with goat related memes hehe

We were booted from the group because he cried bully. The spammer does not like to be spammed :eek:

ouesi likes this.
  17. Meezey

Seemingly they consider themselves "amongst the top breeders of BC'S in the UK"......................They can't even provide a full 3 gen pedigree as they don't seem to know the GGrandparents of the litter they had Dec 2015 ( yes it says 2015) we ain't even there yet but they had 3 males and 2 females. The name ain't KC registered..

#57 Meezey, Jun 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  18. SingingWhippet

SingingWhippet PetForums VIP

I think that's just an demonstration website to advertise their services to breeders, not a genuine one.

Given the very basic questions about dog ownership they've been asking on a BC specific forum I highly doubt (or at least really, really hope) they've ever bred in their life.

19. Meezey

That would explain why it's full of keek then lol :oops:

20. Meezey

Yeah looking else where they haven't a clue how to bring up a puppy they have purchased let alone a litter...