Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

think we have finally cracked lead walking!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by kenla210, Jul 5, 2009.

1. kenla210

kenla210 PetForums Senior

well it has been a week since we introduced the clicker to daisy and OMG it is fantastic!! Today I was actually confident enough to let my very petite 9 & 7 year old girls walk daisy back from the park(obv with me very close by and ready to grab if necessary!) Still needs work on the way there - getting to the park is just WAY too exciting for her. But I'm really pleased as finally I feel like we are turning a corner on something I have struggled with since getting her 8 months ago and had resigned myself to never being able to trust her with the girls holding her lead - which was a shame for them as I know part of the mental image they had was being able to help walk her, not be dragged around uncontrollably!
    Other wonders of the clicker - she is finally starting to get the hang of down, and is MUCH more obediant to the girls commands too. Can't wait to try other stuff too - rollover next I think :)
    Why oh why did I not try this method 8 months ago!?!
    :D :D

2. karen09

karen09 PetForums Member

thanks for tip i will try it too. starting puppy classes tuesday. mac will be 15 weeks

karen;)

3. kenla210

I got a book called quick clicks and watched some YouTube clips. Once she knew that click = treat, I started with the walking. Everytime she pulls I just stop and wait till she comes back to me, when she is walking nicely I click and treat.
    So good - highly recommend it! Good luck with puppy class :)

4. karen09

karen09 PetForums Member

thanks will try and get book whats the best clicker to get? was looking at them in pets at home and couldnt decide!

5. kenla210

I have 2 different ones - one is a clix multi-clicker which I got from pets @ home, this is good cos it has a volume thing on it, which is handy. The other one I had from canine concepts is an I-click which is much quieter, but more ergonomic.
    The quiet one is more comfortable to use but not very effective when walking down a busy road when daisy is SO focussed on getting to the park. I would say for this reason the clix one is better as is useful all the time.
    I would recommend getting a few and scattering them round the house, that way you always have one to hand if you need it...
    Good luck

6. Deb

Deb PetForums Senior

How exactly does a clicker work. i bought one and it said to practice by firstly clicking and treating-which i did. Then it said to give a command and when it was obeyed click and treat-which i did. Then no more info. What is the point of clicking?????:confused:

7. kenla210

the point of the clicker is that you click the desired behaviour. Previously I was verbally praising, good girl etc, the thing is that you can be more precise with a clicker and it doesn't get confused with general endearments. As soon as they hear the click, they realise that they have done something right and are getting a treat so will try to replicate it. Click always means treat, and actually the book I have recommends not adding a verbal command or hand signal till they keep doing the desired behaviour.
    I really recommend getting a book with more detail as I'm still learning it all myself.
    Btw- we have def mastered down, and down stay is increasingly reliable, and rollover is coming along nicely too! :D

8. Deb

Deb PetForums Senior

Thanks, am off to favourite shop-pets at home-so will look for one:D

9. fun4fido

fun4fido PetForums Senior

10. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

The "About clicker training" is worth looking at for the "Rules of love" video clip alone! :D

For those who have watched it, am I the only one who got a lump in my throat when the dog says to the other dog "My name is 'Bad Dog'"?? That's so sad :(

11. kenla210

it was a couple of clips you put on previously which inspired me to give it a go - so HUGE thanks!!!! :D
    As another positive, daisy is just so much more responsive to me on other stuff she already knew, and I really feel our bond is so much stronger even in just the space of a week - cannot speak highly enough of this method. I'm getting a new pup in a month and will be introducing the clicker immediately!
    Do you think it will be suitable for housetraining too?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice