Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Think my cats pregnant

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Veggiecat, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Veggiecat

Veggiecat PetForums Newbie

Okay so I have two house cats, male and female (not siblings) both around the age of one, I was told the male was neutered but now I’m having doubts.

I came back from a two week holiday two weeks ago and my female cat looked a little fatter, again thought nothing over it. She’s continued to get bigger and upon inspection her nipples are bigger and I am sure I can feel kittens in there! Now starting to believe my male wasn’t neutered after all..

what signs should I look out for? What can I do to prepare for kittens? I have no idea how far along she is but she’s definitely a lot bigger than she was (only around abdomen and sides)

2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Hi veggiecat, welcome :)
    I would say your first stop should be the vets. If it's the same vet who supposedly neutered your boy, you could simply ask. Actually I'm sure a vet could quickly tell if a boy is neutered or not with a quick physical exam.

As for your girl, if it has only been two weeks, I'd pop her down to the vets and have her spayed. Why is she not spayed anyway?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Veggiecat

I was told by the person I had him from thst he was nurtured, as I had him at 6 months of age I didn’t question it. I have only had the female for 3 months, as they’re house cats and I live in a flat at the moment I didn’t expect the possibility of kittens. More fool me. It’s been two weeks since I’ve come home and she was visibly big then so I assumed she wouldn’t be able to be spayed until after having her litter

4. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Again, I would urge you to take both cats to the vet but particularly your female. The vet can give you a better idea if she's pregnant or not, if she can be spayed now, and if she is pregnant and too far along to spay, your vet can at least check how she's doing and let you know what to watch out for.
    If you suspect your male is intact he needs to be neutered which means a vet trip for him too.

Maurey, SusieRainbow and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

If kitten movement is now being felt, it may be difficult to get an abortive spay. Movement is felt around 7-8 weeks I think. In terms of movement, what is it exactly you're feeling, as that will help to get a better idea of age. You can also get an ultrasound done which may be able to give you a more accurate time to expect the birth.

First port of call is to get the male neutered next week and to keep them completely separate. Males remain able to sire litters up to 10-12 weeks post neutering and she will come into heat again when the kittens wean around 4-6 weeks. It is not good for her to have back-to-back pregnancies so it's absolutely vital you keep them separate and get him to the vets immediately for an op.

6. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

OP said they returned from a 2 week holiday 2 weeks ago, so at the very most the pregnancy would be 4 weeks along, though I would think it would be very hard to miss an inside house cat being in call with an intact male? IDK... ?

7. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

It's not possible to feel kitten movement at 4 weeks, so we can assume the pregnancy is further along than that. Mating happens very quickly and doesn't always occur over a number of days. The girl may also be a silent caller, at which point no one would know if she was in call or not

8. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Or that what the OP thought they felt was not kitten movement.

Either way both cats need to go to the vet.

9. Veggiecat

Vet appointment is booked in Monday for my girl and a later one in the week for the male so I guess we will find out,

moomoowawa, lymorelynn and O2.0 like this.
  10. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

She wouldn't need to call with an intact male in the house.
    I do agree that a visit to the vet with both cats would be a good idea.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice