Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Think im in lurvvveee...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by XxZoexX, Mar 25, 2011.

1. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

With Firefox 4!!
    Anyone downloaded it yet?
    Ive always liked it ive tried them all and this worked best with my computer but at times it could drag a little.
    Not with the new one.. its speedy speedy :thumbup:

2. Jasper's Bloke

Jasper's Bloke PetForums VIP

I haven't used Internet Explorer for about 8 years, really don't trust it. Was a confirmed Firefox fan right from the start, right up until Google brought out Chrome and I find it much more stable and out of IE, Firefox and Safari, it is definitely the fastest.

3. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

I dont know what it is on my computer but it seems to slow chrome down.. i know some who say its fantastic. :thumbup:
    When i get my new laptop ill no doubt try them all again :lol:
    and i dislike explorer with a passion that i really shouldnt have for a browser :lol:

4. Jasper's Bloke

Are you running anti-virus? Big performance killer over all.

I run Linux on my laptop, no viruses, no malware, no microsoft!!!

5. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

I agree, it's absolutely FANTASTIC. :D:D:D
    I was using the old version of firefox when my son told me about the new one so I downloaded it. I play a few games on facebook and everything goes so QUICK now can't believe the difference it has made. :eek: Before when I scrolled down the page it took ages because it kept stopping but now - no problem it whizzes down.. :tongue_smilie:

6. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

Oh dont talk to me about anti virus ive tried loads of them too haha

Your right they just kill the performance but especially on the kids laptops i needed one, currently Panda is the one we use as its run via a cloud system (think thats right lol) and not on the comp so doesnt affect the perfomance noticibly.

Oh and i check with malwarebytes regularly.

Im so tempted to look into linux on my stand alone tho it runs a *shhh* cracked copy of xp atm since a virus attached itself to all my exe files and killed it. Then when i reinstalled it would not accept the key and theres no free support for xp now :rolleyes:

I just have never seen Linux running, Heard great things tho. might give it a go as i store everything on external hard drive now.

#6 XxZoexX, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  7. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

Im actually shocked at what a differance there is its fab :thumbup:

8. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

Can i ask a question might be a stupid one.

I would love to get rid of IE can i "uninstall it" to use something wlese or does it HAVE to be left in the background?

9. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

You dont need to uninstall it, not sure if you can tho. Just download the one you want set it as default when asked and delete the icon fo IE.

I currently have a few Incase theres a problem with one
    *Firefox
    *Opera
    *Chrome

Never ever use IE so no shortcut for that haha

Heres the link for Firefox 4 for anyone who wants it

https://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/new/?WT.mc_id=hp_1&WT.mc_ev=click

#9 XxZoexX, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  10. Jasper's Bloke

Linux has moved on considerably in the last few years and is now equal to, if not better than MAC osx. You can download an ISO and burn it to a cd and then run it directly from the cd without installing anything if you want to try it out. It is a little slower because it is reading from a cd rather than a hard drive but is still fully functional.

Just Google ubuntu

It took me a few days to get used to but now I would never go back. The only problem I had was that the newest versions don't support the chips on my old banger of a laptop, so I had to use a previous version. Saying that Windows 7 is the same, so I couldn't switch to that either.

Linux is much cleaner than Windows, far more robust and much, much quicker. Strangely though, straight out of the box you have no support for most multimedia codecs, such as mp3. This is because all the software is open source but things like mp3 are copyrighted, so they can't legally be included. An easy update quickly sorts it though and you are good to go.

By far and away the best feature of Linux though is that it is absolutely and totally free.

11. jon bda

jon bda Guest

Got my laptop dual booted with Ubuntu and Windows 7, both run well considering its an older laptop, although Aero isn't supported in Windows. Will defo be trying FF4 on it next time i'm on it i think...
    :)
    PS Can the themes still be used? wouldn't know what to do without my Noia theme!!!

12. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

I've been using Firefox for years, I've never trusted IE simply because of its 'buginess' and it's susceptibility to freezing up and crashing when other programs are running perfectly.

It's safer, far more seamless and it has a much nicer layout.

13. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

Yes the personas are still there and theyve streamlined the top bit (tabs ect) so you get more use of your screen :thumbup:

Im definatly looking into Linux weekend :D

14. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

Have to totally agree, Ive used it for years and IE is redundant in our house i forbid anyone to use it :lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice