UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took me totally by surprise, complete accident, I didn't even know it could happen, there was no way to seperate them, no health testing no vet checks no nothing......thankfully there are only 3 babies and they will all be staying here!!

My fish had babies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not strictly doggy lol sorry.
On a serious note anyone have any advise, I have seperated the three babies and have them in a seperate container, they are so TINY. We are going to get a nursery thing for them tomorro which floats in the tank......but what do i feed them, any other advice??

·
Registered
743 Posts
What are they, mollies,guppies?

They are fine to take normal flake food crushed up into a powder.

Honestly honestly please don't shoot me. I'd let them fair as well as they may in the main tank. If there are areas to hide they stand a fair chance. Their parents are in the tank, livebearers give birth very frequently the likelyhood of inbreeding is high.

Shops will sometimes take them off you hands once they are saleable size but TBH after the first generation of home bred colours start to go dull and its

·
Registered
743 Posts

Honestly honestly please don't shoot me. I'd let them fair as well as they may in the main tank. If there are areas to hide they stand a fair chance. Their parents are in the tank, livebearers give birth very frequently the likelyhood of inbreeding is high.

Shops will sometimes take them off you hands once they are saleable size but TBH after the first generation of home bred colours start to go dull and its hard to get rid of brown guppies and inbred mollies.

·
Registered
183 Posts
are they guppies? i would defo put them in the wee seperate tank that floats in your tank, the other fish might see them as a tasty meal. when my guppies had babies i fed them really tiny bits of normal dry fish flakes and they gobbled them up. when they got a bit bigger i gave them frozen blood worm and they sooked on them like spaghetti lol

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
when our guppys had their countless babies I used to pop them in one of those net breeding things that floats in the tank, and I crushed up normal flaked fish food, they all thrived, I used to exchange them at the aquarists for filter media and food, I couldnt bare to leave them in to get eaten by the bigger fish.

·
Registered
183 Posts

Shops will sometimes take them off you hands once they are saleable size but TBH after the first generation of home bred colours start to go dull and its
when the babies were bigger i let them into the tank but unfortunately they were still too small and got gobbled :(. the man at the fish shop said to let them out and if they lived they lived if not then they didnt

·
Registered
183 Posts
with female guppies they have a black spot around their stomach area. males dont . it may not be possible just now but once they get bigger you should seperate the females and males

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Don't shoot me I have NO idea what they are....long story short I wanted 2 goldfish, went to [email protected] (first mistake) told me I couldn't have goldfish for loads of reasons ended up with 9 temperate fish (3 x 3 different type)

Just googles it they are platies. Think I have also worked out who mum is.

You say they give birth frequently.......is this going to happen again???? I've had them 15 months and this is the first time its happened.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Yes can happen frequently and the girls can store sperm too. Have you worked out how to tell the males from the females? Sorry if you know this, look at the fins around their vent ( bum) females have nice rounded fins. Males have a long pointly fin called the gonopodium.

I honestly would just let the littles go loose with the adults, I know it sounds harsh and I don't mean to sound harsh but from a local fish shop its highly likely they are not good brood stock. I would not personally encourage the breeding nor the rasing of the brood. However, if they were to survive and be moved to another tank (in the shop?) maybe it could be ok. Bear in mind your fish could already be related as a result of someone handing their homebred fish in to their LFS.

The fish often arrive either pregnant or storing sperm but won't breed until they are happy in their environment. There is also the high chance these are not the first born, you just haven't seen the others before they became a snack.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Also whilst PAH did well to steer you clear of goldfish there is only one hard to find variety of Platty that will do well in cold water, do you have a heater at all and what is it set at? Most platties would be happier at about 22c. What are the other fish in there?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, I only have three of these and one is really really small, it never grew so I think I have worked out who is mum and who is dad mum is the bigger apparantly.
I think this is the first lot as I have noticed one of them (mum) getting fatter and hiding more. I have already seperated these (had to 8 yo was helping clean fish out couldn't explain if I put them back the other fish would eat them) anyway I'll keep these three and dad fish is going to be seperated.

I feel really bad but no one ever explained this could happen god talk about bad fish owner, I don't want her to become a breeding machine. Going to pet shop tomorrow will get a little tank for the babies and a little tank for dad.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It would appear I have 6 dannios of 2 different types plus 3 (well 6 now) platies (they are just plain orange).

No I have no heater I was told they would be fine in water of room temperature, and they are 15 months old and all 9 still going strong, so I assume I am doing something right?

·
Registered
743 Posts
If your house is heathed and they are not in a draft its likely they are being maintained around 20/21 anyway so no toooo low.

Really low or swinging temps can mean they are lethergic and prone to illnesses amongst other issues. I'm sure you are doing fine. The danios are not a bad choice at all, but are highly likely to predate on the youngsters. Awesome but often underated fish, they have been used in nuclear experiments and are nearly as hardy as cockroaches! :cool: Prettier though :eek:

I'd just leave dad personally, as he wont be a happy boy on his own ( but I would still overlook any babies born hoping yoru 8yo doesn't spot them...)

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Can males live together? Like if one of these babies is a male can I have a tank of males and a tank of females?
Does it do the female any harm to keep breeding?
I'll keep these three babies and ignore any future babies.
OOh the wonderful world of fish keeping, can I not chemically castrate him or something? :p

·
Registered
743 Posts
Males can get a bit snarky with each other but are usually fine. TBH thouh I would leave them together, females livebearers do give birth frequently I'm sure it does put a strain on them but they live together in the wild so it must be the same there.

·
Registered
490 Posts
depends on what they are but I would avoid the floating nets, whenever I hsave used them, the other fish try and suck them through the net and kill them, best thing to do is set up a seperate tank using water from the main tank, and maybe put the filter in the nursery net it ifll fit so they dont get sucked up into it

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Ooh babies!!

I had a Platy and Molly explosion a few years ago....... babies EVERYWHERE!! I just left them too it, there were plenty of hiding places in the tank where the big fish couldn't get to them. Quite amazingly they nearly all survived and then I had to take them to the fish shop as I had too many fish for my tank! I also got rid of my (obviously very horny males) as they just kept on breeding!!

You can tell the males from the females by looking at the fins under their bellies - females have rounded fins and males have long pointy fins.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.