Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Think I may be allergic to my baby

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by lula, May 4, 2010.

1. lula

lula PetForums Junior

:frown:

Have done nothing but sneeze and have a runny nose and eyes since I brought her home 19days ago.

I have 3 cats and have never been allergic.

Never been allergic to anything in my life (luckily)

What the hell do I do if it turns out I am allergic to my Amber :confused1:

I simply can't bear the thought if giving her up (never mind telling the children)

Anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions for easing the god awful symptoms

Yours very sadly

Louise xXx

2. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

If you haven't already try an antihistamine like piriton and pop to your doctors to discuss options :)

3. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Hi,i have an allergy to pets fur,but usually once iv got used to them it lessons (though if i get scratched or licked i get awful itchy bumps).Maybe try some antihistamines (sp) or see your doc and he should give you something.

4. Mum2Alfie

Mum2Alfie PetForums VIP

Heehee, sorry had to reread that......baby as in......?

5. lula

lula PetForums Junior

Ahhh yes Hammy, this would be my four-legged CS baby :p

Louise xXx

6. Mum2Alfie

Mum2Alfie PetForums VIP

Just checked out your album! She is gorgious! Have you tried what they said about? Might just be you needing to get used to the hair. You might get over it!

7. lula

lula PetForums Junior

Thank you, we think she's scrummy too :D

Going to buy some Benadryl today and give that a go.

Watch this space..............

Louise xXx

8. Franklin

Franklin PetForums Junior

Hi, don't worry there are loads of over the counter meds you can try or you can get them through your doc although the prescription charge may actually be higher than just buying.

I use beconase nose spray or boots own version of it (drug is beclomethasone diproprionate), it takes a few days to work using it twice a day, I find after a while you can taper it off a bit once it has calmed your symptoms down.

Also sometimes use opticrom eye drops if my eyes are playing up, or again boots or other pharmacy's own version (drug name is sodium cromoglycate).

If this is not enough (rarely but sometimes get hayfever too) I also use clarityn or generic version of this (drug is loratadine, an antihistamine), these are very cheap to stock up on in winter when not as many people want them!

I've been using all of these on and off for over 20 years, no harmful effects, although I do try to take the least amount possible.

I was allergic to my dog at first but am fine now although do take the nose spray most days cause I get hayfever and other allergies.

None of these cause drowsiness. There are other brands and drugs out there but not sure about the drowsy factor.

Good luck!

babycham2002 likes this.
  9. lula

lula PetForums Junior

Thank you Franklin :)

Pharmacist recommended the Loratadine too (rather glad about that once I saw the price of the Clarityn:eek6:) Also found you can buy them online for 0.61p foe 30 tabs - result!

I'll try anything almost anything to be honest. The cashier also said her husband had great success with a nasal spray, so that will be next on list of the Loratadine doesn't work.

Thanks again

Louise xXx

10. shutterspeed

shutterspeed PetForums Senior

It could be that you just have developed a cold. Lots of people have colds these days that last long and are related to allergies. (heard that on the radio)
    There is no need to give up on your baby, my daughter has 4 cats and she's highly allergic, but she got used to them.
    Where did you get your pup? If he used to be in bedding, could be you're allergic to that (dust in his hair) and it will get better in time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice