Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

think i have made mistake...

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by NEW2CATS, Jun 8, 2010.

1. NEW2CATS

NEW2CATS PetForums VIP

hi guys,

Billy my youngest is an indoor cat as we live on a busy road. he isnt the sharpest cat in the litter tray so i dont trust him to not go in the road.

anyway as the weather was so nice at the weekend i decided to take billy out on a harness. he seemed to enjoy this and so i did it the next couple of days for about 10 minutes at a time.

but now he is sat by the back door crying to go out.

have i made a huge mistake by showing him what he is missing?
    my flatmate thinks i should just let him out but he is my baby and i would hate for anything to happen to him so i wont be doing this.

do you think i should carry on with the daily harness trips? hoping he will get used to only being out for 10 minutes
    or should i just keep him a totally indoor cat like before?

2. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Have you considered a run??
    Either attached to the house or free standing?, probably could get one for about 100 squid.:)

3. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

No i don't think you have made any mistakes. Of course you want to keep him safe. I would be just the same.
    Have you a garden? If you have maybe you could cat proof it.
    I think maybe 10 minutes a day on a harness is not enough, especially when it's a nice day.
    Maybe you could make a room into a cat activity centre with lots of toys and a climbing frame and some thing for him to scratch on.

4. NEW2CATS

NEW2CATS PetForums VIP

the problem is this is a rental property so i cant build a run onto the side of the house - also it is only a small garden which is half used for veggies anyway.

i also cannot cat proof the garden as it is waist height fencing and again i cannot change it.

i just think maybe i shouldnt of let him see what he was missing - he has been ok being inside since we got him in november

also do not have a spare room to turn it into a cat room as much as i would love to!! i do have 3 different types of scratch post dotted around the flat and some play tunnels for them and i play with da bird most nights too.
    unfortunatly my other cat gizzy insnt that keen on playing with billy but they are company to each other

5. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

This is a Tough one. We had the same problem with our late Ollie, Took him out for a few weeks on the harness, and then he wanted out out out on his own, so we let him come and go as he pleased, No problems for a month or so. And Then came The knock on The door. He got run over, right outside our old house. :mad:

Indie our new mc goes into our garden only. Its working OK and hope it stays this way.

Its your choice whether to let him out or not.

6. NEW2CATS

NEW2CATS PetForums VIP

i really doubt he would stay in our garden as it is quite small and the neighbours gardens are only a hop over a low fence!!

the road outside the front is an A road and we have a cut through side road a couple of houses down too

I think I would rather keep him in and put up with the crying until he gets used to not going out again - i would hate to get that knock on the door:( (hug amin)

7. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

why not look at something like a kittywalk cat run? think bunny run in the garden but for cats. you could take him out on his harness for a few minutes and then pop him in the run for an hour?

8. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

you may have to get used to daily walks like a dog owner! or a free standing bunny run like another poster said is a good idea. If you spend time in the garden (on the veggies/hanging out in sun etc) you could take him out then on an extendy lead?

My Indy is used to his 4 times a week walks (a few days I simply don't have time to walk him *and* the dog and dog needs it more) and he has adapted to the routine of limited outdoor access no worries so don't panick and just stay firm and consistant. They *can* be happy with restricted access! look how happy Indy is on limited walkies!
    [​IMG]

9. NEW2CATS

NEW2CATS PetForums VIP

thanks guys you certainly have given me plenty of ideas.

i like the idea of the kittywalk but have only found them on american sites with mega delivery charges.

for now i will keep up his daily walks and see how it goes

10. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Ive just ordered a bird aviary for one of my cats from the happy hutch company. Its 3ft x 5ft and 6ft tall for 110 pounds. So it would fit in most gardens!:D

11. NEW2CATS

NEW2CATS PetForums VIP

is that the ealrswood aviary for £119? looks good

12. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

Keep on taking him for walks, it's better that he has some outdoor stimulation than none.

13. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

that sounds good, :thumbup:.:thumbup:

14. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

oh no i have also made this mistake and i can tell you he will never forget and he'll always try to dart out the door.

id say if you cant let him out by himself then take him out at the same time everyday for the same amount of time.

cats get into a routine easily so this will help him learn he's only allowed out at certain time.

good luck

15. lillylove

lillylove PetForums Member

I have started walking my kitten now she is vaccinated. Initially she clung to me terrified, then she graduated to belly crawling along the floor but didn't try and bolt and seems to enjoy it. I realise I will have the problem of her wanting to go out all the time but she is just going to have to settle for little and often!

16. NEW2CATS

NEW2CATS PetForums VIP

Glad it isnt only me that has made a rod for her own back lol
    I took him out again last night for 20 minutes, he really enjoyed it but then spent the rest of the evening sitting and crying at the back door!!!
    just hoping he will get used to it!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice