Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Think Harry is Going to be Ok

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Lisa Franklin, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Lisa Franklin

Lisa Franklin PetForums Junior

Hi

I worte yesterday about my rabbit Harry "Help Please! Bit Gutted" and said that he had made his willy saw by doing it to much with our new rabbit Honey.

I took him to the vets last night after noticing on Sunday afternoon that his willy was not looking right. Turns out he has got it a bit stuck and it is very swolen and got a bit infected. He has an antibiotic and anti - inflamatry injection. I have been asked to put cotton wool in iced water and gently place it on there to reduce the swelling, I have some antibiotics to give him twice a day and they also asked me to get some KY Jelly to put on there as it was a bit dry and that should hopefully get it moveing as it shoudl again. They also gave be some stuff call Rear Guard and you put a line of it down their back and it is stuupsed to stop Fly Strike ( as he has an infection he is more prome to it).

I have completely cleaned his hutch out and put no sawdust in, just straw and hay.

I have taken Honey out of his hutch and put her in the spare one that we had, I have made sure that they are next to eachother and can still see eachother.

Poor little thing!

Swelling has already gone down this morning so he is looking on the mend.

I feel so bad, but had no idea that would ever happen!

Any advise would be much appresiated as to how and when I should re - intraduse Honey and Harry back together.

Thanks

2. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Try and keep them so they can see and smell eachother maybe he wont get so excited next time, id let things settle for a week like that then try again on neutral territory x

3. Lisa Franklin

Thanks Crofty!!

I think I will keep them totally appart untill he is fully heeled.

I let them exercise in the same area but at different time so they should smell eachother that way too shouldn't they?

I got Honey so that she could be a companion for Harry so I really hope it all works out.

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Ive heard of this happening in dogs, but never in rabbits. Well done for noticing.

You might find that the tables turn as your doe matures, mine humps the living daylights out of my buck. Shes still a little too young to spay.

5. Lisa Franklin

Golly! Well she would be getting her own back if she did that wouldn't she lol.

I will be getting Honey done when she is old enough.

I noticed because I always give them a little MOT everyday, check claws, that they dont have dirty bums that kind of thing.

I noticed like I said Sunday afternoon and called the vets first thing on Monday morning to get him booked in.

He is not very happy with me at the moment but I hope he will forgive me when it is all over and he is better.

6. frags

frags PetForums VIP

wow not heard of this before, poor little chap.

good for you noticing and taking him to vets, i wish him a speedy recovery x

7. Lisa Franklin

Thanks, I will keep you posted.

It looks so much better already this morning.

I got this really fab thing from pets at home a few weeks ago too, it looks like a frisby/frizby (sorry you will have probably noticed I am rubbish at spelling) filled with water and you can put it in the freezer, the stuff it is made of is apparently bunny proof so they cannot chew through and it keeps them cool in the warm weather.

I have put this in with him to in the hope he will sit on it and that will aid in the reduction of the swelling.

8. umber

umber PetForums VIP

poor harry hope his tuti feels better soon x:blushing:

9. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

hehe bless him he's a randy little monster isnt he :w00t:, sure it'll settle you're doing a great job x

10. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

aww poor litle thing, hope he is better soon,xx:)

11. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

They were putting those frisbee things in with the rabbits and guinea pigs in pets at home yesterday. A lady that worked there had a joke that I would need about 4 of them for my New Zealands :p

She wasnt a great Sales person from pets at homes point of view! she said "personally I just use frozen 2 litre bottles instead of the frisbees" which is what I have done before :p and she told me to try and bond the rabbits I had rather than selling me another one :p

*Heidi*

12. Lisa Franklin

She wasn't a sales woman then, lol.

I would have thought if you put a bottle in that they might chew through it because the plastic isnt as think? Thats a good idea and would save a bit of money.

13. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

Mine havent so far :p they havent even bothered to chew the lid, let alone the actual bottle :)

*Heidi*

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice