Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

think h is getting a bit fed up..............

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lizzyboo, Mar 27, 2011.

1. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

with me..........

as you will know, i bought a litle clio about 2 weeks ago to learn to drive in. great little car and im so proud to own it and i love driving it...........

hubby says i am good driver................until i get to a big rondabout! i just cannot do it for anyone! i start to shake and panic :cryin: :cryin: that someone is going to cut me up and cause an accident. he has to constantly tell me which lane to be in for the direction i am wanting to go in. i so want to master this quickly as i am hoping to be driving by the summer hols so me and the kids and radds can go to the beach etc............ but at this rate i just cant see it happening.

so if anyone has any good advise..i will really appriciate it

2. Stephny691

Stephny691 PetForums Senior

I had the same thing!!!

Was brill at everything else- but at islands I'd panic and go all "I don't know what to do!!"

When I did.

You have to remember, they're just a fancy junction. That's it. And just like a junction- if you're going right (round the roundabout) you get into the right hand position.

If you're going left (left off the roundabout) you get into the left position.
    And if it were a straight over junction (or straight over roundabout) you stay slightly more to the left but not all the way over.

I'm sorry if that doesn't help at all, it was just the way my dad explained it to me, to try and stop me thinking "ROUNDBAOUT ARRGGHHH!!!"" and thinking "fancy junction, ok" instead.

Second bit of advice, which is obvious and you won't like.

Gear yourself up, make sure there's nothing else for you to distract you. And hit every SINGLE island/roundabout in your area. Big/small, doesn't matter. Go round every single one, then do them all again. First off, only take the first left off them, then progress until you take diff exits and have to worry about what lane to be in. Tackle it a bit at a time.

Also (probably another useless tidbit) at some point, book a few lessons with an instructor (unless hubby is one, then ignore me). Specially when you get closer to your test, they will really help brush you up those extra little bits before the test, and they may inspire a bit more confidence in yourself when it comes to the roundabouts.

sorry for the long winded post, hope some of helped a little.

Good luck!! (driving is awesome)

3. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

thankyou.. thankyou.. thankyou (if there was a bow down smilie i would put it here....!)
    we have got lads of roundabouts where i live..... even roundabouts around roundabouts which are pretty frigtening i can tell you..... i have done most of the big ones i think now but i still panic lol. will take your dads 'fancy junction' on board :)

4. MissShelley

MissShelley PetForums VIP

I struggled with roundabouts too for a long time!

My Instructor told me to go and stand near one, and watch the traffic. I did and it helped immensely, when you can see for your yourself how the dynamics work, it will be easier for you to put it into practice for next time.

:)

5. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

i could be essex's first roundabout stalker...... each time i do it i could stand there in fancy dress :lol:

i watch what carl does when he goes round roundabouts... trouble is it all looks too easy when you are a passenger x

6. MissShelley

MissShelley PetForums VIP

Everything looks easy when your a passenger. I found watching the wheels on the cars at the roundabout helped as by looking at the positioning you have a fair judgement of where they are likely to go ( without relying on their indicators of the car ) Not everybody indicates at roundabouts, so knowing this was useful.

When your learning to drive you are dealing with two different processes, the cognitive process ( knowing what you need to do ) And the physical ( actually driving ) Bringing those together was tricky for me :) A bit like rubbing your tummy and patting your head. Before long you do without thinking.

Being able to watch someone else or how other cars react on the road helps you process the information without having to think about doing the physical stuff.

Also forward planning, process what needs to be done well in advance so your not rushing :) You know that roundabout is coming so think about where you need to be, which mirrors to use and your signals :)

7. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

I just remember it as if the turning is before 12 o clock then I need left hand lane, if the turning I want is after 12 o clock then I need the right hand lane! I used to be crap at roundabouts but i love them now :D

8. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

and if you need to go straight over i would presume that would be 12 oclock?

thatsa good way of remembering i think..... mite try that later.. thanks x

9. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

Yep and you would need left hand lane.

10. Sarah+Hammies

Sarah+Hammies PetForums VIP

This is what my instructor got me to do! (obvioulsy if you do it make sure you are safe!)

I have been driving for a year but still have my wobbly moments when i dont think i can do it etc but i know its all in my head and when i actually get there its not as bad as i had made it out to be! :rolleyes:: The main roundabout near me is huge and to top it off is on a funny hill :blink:

Roundabouts are not too bad when you understand which lane takes you where, and also to know where the oncoming vehicles will be coming from.

PMA! You can do it! :thumbup: xxx

11. harley bear

harley bear PetForums VIP

Hun its all in the mind, when you go out make sure you tell yourself that you CAN do roundabouts, if you fear them it will just make you a whole lot worse.

When i was on my test we came to the last roundabout and for the life of me could not get the car into gear it got stuck! But i managed it and managed to go why it was still safe i was terrified id failed:eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice