Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Things you wish you knew when you got your puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Spaniel mad, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

I am putting together puppy packs for Storms pups and was looking for ideas on what to include.
    A fab member gave me a great idea (you know who you are)

A FAQ sheet.

So it would be greatly apreciated if you could take the time to write a few things that you wish you knew about when you got your new addition. E.G. Letting into the garden, Introducing to new pets, vaccinations etc

If possible post the question and reply lol

2. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

My puppy has started breathing very quickly when he fell asleep. Should I worry?

No, not at all. This is perfectly normal for a young puppy. His breathing when sleeping will gradually slow down once he gets older.

My puppy is hiccuping. Is he OK?
    Puppies hiccup an awful lot! Even when sleeping. An old wives' tale is that when your puppy is hiccuping, it means that he is growing. Enjoy watching your puppy hiccuping as it won't last forever.

My puppy won't eat his puppy food. I have to hand feed him or give him human food. Is he feeling poorly?
    No. Do not worry. As long as your puppy is eating something (either from your hand or bits of your human food) it means that he is healthy. Give your puppy a few days to settle in and get used to his environment. He needs to learn that the food in the bowl is now all his - he might have had a pushy brother or sister who always ate before him, hence he is seeking your permission to eat so will take the food you give him with your hand.
    Try not to give puppy too much human food - he won't intentionally starve himself to death and you may be making a rod for your own back in the future if he gets used to eating your food.

There are 3 to get you started! :)

Spaniel mad likes this.
  3. Spaniel mad

Thank you for your reply and your great idea :D

4. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

Maybe something about chewing. I know so many people that have gotten rid of their pups because they chew. Just something to say that this is normal and to keep everything you don't want chewing out of the way until they are past the chewing stage.

5. Spaniel mad

Thats a good one and its also very true

6. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

LOL. Good one!

Why is my puppy biting me? Does he not like me?

Far from it! Your puppy is doing something called 'mouthing'. This is perfectly normal, and your puppy will be used to doing this with his littermates. It's how your puppy learns about bite inhibition (or how hard he can and cannot bite), just the same way that human babies might bite or mouth your finger!
    To discourage puppy from mouthing you, simply say "Ow" in a high pitched voice, then remove your hand and replace it with a suitable toy for him to chew on.
    Over the coming months, your puppy will need a wide variety of items that he is allowed to chew on. Soft toys, hard toys, paddywhack, bones, kongs. Make sure he has lots of variety in texture and size to satisfy his chewing needs, and remove anything from his reach that you would not want him to practice chewing or mouthing on.

7. Spaniel mad

Excellent

Keep them coming lol

8. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

I wish I knew Blu would be as crazy as his mum! She was so crazy and it's taken over a week for Blu to come out his shell and be the same as her :p I can't really think of any to put in a puppy pack because I'd read up on everything and already had Cheeko as a pup.

9. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

Not sure how to put it as a question and answer, my head not fully working today :eek: but what about how to start them getting used to and walking on a collar and lead?

10. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

The question and answersheet is a great idea.
    I felt i was quite well informed on the do's and dont's when we got our first pup, but didnt feel as well informed on the why's.

some new owners may not be aware of the seriousness of the do's and dont's.

For example. . some may not mind playfull puppy biting and allow it not knowing the consequences

may not mind leaving food down all day, not knowing this could encourage pup to be a fussy eater.

11. Spaniel mad

I have put about carrying the pup around so they get used to all different noises.
    Could say to slowly start puting lead on for a bit each day so they are used to it liek i did with mine

I was never told anything when i got mine. I done all research myself but alot of people dont

12. LittleMissSee

LittleMissSee PetForums Junior

I have just got a puppy, so I have a few questions that I would've found useful in a FAQ sheet, however, I don't fully know all the answers!!

How long do you let your puppy "settle in" before starting basic training (ie getting him used to his collar and lead, asking him to sit?)

When I take my puppy outside to toilet, he will do anything to distract himself - chase leaves, run around, pull at leaves, sit and stare at me - is this normal?

My puppy seems to get bored of his toys easily and finds my slippers far more appealing, why is this? - I have an answer for this one! He had all his toys out all the time, however, we've now put them into a box and allow him a couple each day and change them every day. Each day he has a "new toy" - well he thinks they're new!

When do you reduce his food amounts (ie from 3 to 2 meals per day)?

My puppy loves to be around me all the time, to the point where he wants to be on me! Will he always be like this, or will he become more independant?

I hope they help. As a new owner, they're the ones that spring to mind, and to some I may seem the worst owner for not knowing, but I am only giving ideas, I don't want a load of flack please. :eek:

13. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Hypoglycemia in toy breeds. I wish I had been told about this when I got my chihuahua puppy over a year ago, he went down hill very fast. He wouldnt eat properly and didnt drink much either, This little puppy went downhill in a matter of one hour, yes that quick. I was then told about Hypoglycemia from my vet. Nurti Cal to put under puppies tongue or iside the cheeks if they dont eat or drink. It give enough boost to the puppy to give you the time to travel to the vet. My little one ended up haveing fits and was put to sleep 3 days later having being given all types of treatment from my vet, I was devastaed. I read up on all to do with 'chihuahua's but never saw this one. So I always tell the new owners about it, and print out information for them to read. My new owners were so gratefull for this.

14. Spaniel mad

I have included a sheet on feeding. People say to cut down to 3 meals at 3 months old and then to 2 when around 6 months

My puppies also whine when i leave them. They will get used to it and its important i fins to not fuss them when they are whining

I also have a huge tub full of toys and we alternate the toys but we also leave it so that they can go and help them selves

A game i started playing with the big dogs is i put all the toys away at nite and then in the morning let them help themselves and the freaky thing is they always get the same toy lol

When you take him out for a wee ignore him until he goes and then reward him

15. xpalaboyx

xpalaboyx PetForums VIP

wow nice info... im saving this thread so i can check it always...

16. Spaniel mad

Glad we all helped x

17. LittleMissSee

LittleMissSee PetForums Junior

Thanks Spaniel Mad - I will try letting him choose his toys!

Spaniel mad likes this.
  18. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Spaniel mad i'm going to rep you for this later and will rep the person that suggested it too :)

Mods can this be a sticky?

19. Spaniel mad

Thanx Honey

Just glad we can all help someone

20. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I know what you need to put in the puppy pack.... the url for pet forums so they canjoin and keep us all updated with lovely puppy pics! :D

I gave all my puppies new owners some pics right from teh day they were born too :)

When I got Dixie I decided to crate train her and there was no books local to me (didnt have internet) so I wish I had managed to have info on crate training it would have made it alot easier.

x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice