Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Things you can be thankful for - the silver lining!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by classixuk, Apr 12, 2011.

1. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

I attended my second funeral in as many months this morning.

This time around it was for the mother of a close friend. I knew the mother to say hello to, but in reality I was there to support my friends - they also have an 11 year old son who really looks up to me and thinks a lot of me, so I was aware he might need me for some hugs if his parents were otherwise not available. Strange, I know, but I was right. He came up to me in the crematorium while his parents were busy thanking people for coming and just held on tight to me while he cried. I felt so sorry for him. :(

The rest of the day has been an "auto-function" day, but I just realised as I drove down to the shop for milk 5 minutes ago, I've been lucky enough to never of had to sit in a funeral car.

And you know something?

I felt really blessed and well...lucky, that at the age of 33 I have so far escaped that ordeal.

So I thought I'd ask...when you think about something that should be bad, can you see a blessing through it too? What are you thankful for?
    :eek:

katie200 likes this.
  2. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

aw your a gem for been there for him x
    I can say that most the stuff that sucked in my life has had a positive attached, whether it be another door opening or becoming stronger and gaining more empathy for others with each situation lol.

3. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

We ALL moan about something or other about our ailments and faults, but we should be very very gratefull we are not in that situation or even the person in the coffin. we SHOULD all take what we have as a blessing and learn to live with our bad points.
    You did well for that little lad, bless him it must of been the worst day of his life, but thankfully he had someone like you to stand by and grieve with, must of been so hard for you to classixuk, sending hugs to you (((((((((hugs))))))))))

4. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I think choose what happens to us many times we can always see things could be much worse.

5. Dazadal

Dazadal PetForums Member

Good for you being there to support your friend. I am a firm believer that if you do good, good things will happen to you.

My father passed away a couple of years ago not long after my Gran who virtually reared me. I was devastated. I had some health problems and was in a job that I hated that was contributing to my ill health. His passing allowed me to have some time out (life insurance money) from that job and Im now fully recovered so I will be eternally thankful for that. I still wish he was here and would swap the money to have him back. :(
    Keep doing good things. :aureola:

#5 Dazadal, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  6. harley bear

harley bear PetForums VIP

Unfortunately i have had to sit in a funeral car, but what i went through has made me stronger but if i had to go through it again i would be a right mess i would be in a nut house!
    I will be greatfull for my kids everyday, we may not have a lot of money but they are the best thing in the world!

7. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

My dog. I know it sounds daft but really, in 26 years he's the best thing to ever happen to me. Apart from knowing my mum for as long as I did and such :eek:

Glad you're there for him xx

8. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

I am thankful for good pet form friend that make me laugh though all the bad days I've had lately:) I am also thankful that I have my pets and my family even if there a pain sometimes
    sorry for your friend loss by the way

9. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

As they say "there is always someone worse off than you"

10. RockRomantic

RockRomantic Gobsh!te

im thankful for everything i have in my life , my friends and family...don't tell them this but there actually pretty amazing ;)

11. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Well I've sat in that car more times than I care to think about. What was once a large extended family (uncles, aunts etc) has rapidly shrunk. :( But I'm thankful for my family etc that are around me, for being there and helping me be who I am, and hopefully I return that favour. But for the most part, concerning those that have pasted on, I'm grateful I had the chance to know them. ;)

12. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

sounds silly but i`m so thankful for jake, i developed really bad panic disorder and social anxiety after losing banjo last year to the point i rarely ever left the house and when i did i could never go alone and would always be looking for ways to flee. it`s taken some time but when an attack came on jake always seemed to calm me and gave me the confidence just to go out with him on walks. when i took jake to the beach on the bus all by myself last week it was such a huge deal to me as i`d never been able to do something liek that alone in the past year whereas i felt a bit silly for being proud of it since it`s an everyday thing to most people :eek: i think since i`d lost my grams, my dad and then all the stuff last year i just snapped after losing banjo and jake seems to be helping me get back to normal

classixuk likes this.
  13. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

I'm very proud of you Leah. Well done!
    xxx
    Keep at it.

14. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

thankyou but jake deserves all the credit, he`s my little rock :)

15. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

I lost both of my parents when i was 34ish.Dad went 1st then a few months later my mum.Loosing my dad was the worst day of my life.But what have i got to be thankful for? Well had i not had the father i did i wouldn't have got through or coped with half of the crap i've had to deal with.So, thanks dad.:D

16. rona

rona Guest

That both of my parents died quickly and not after a long protracted illness.
    A shock to us but far better for them

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice