Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Things too look out for and questions to ask at breeders

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ThomBassmonkey, Jul 26, 2009.

1. ThomBassmonkey

ThomBassmonkey PetForums Member

We're going to see a breeder tomorrow to have a chat and a look over the pups. What kind of questions should we be asking and what else should we be looking out for?

They're labradoodle pups, so are there any breed specific things that we should look out for?

Also, I believe the mother has been joint and eye tested but the father hasn't, though apparently he's won a few shows, should it be a cause for concern that he hasn't been tested, or is the fact that he's won shows enough to show that he's healthy?

Thanks for any help. :)

2. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

The most important thing that i check is that you can see the Mum with the pups

3. Nicci

Nicci Guest

To be honest winning a few shows isn't a sign of great health although he may appear to be on the outside, I'd be really concerned that they have used a dog that wasn't health tested, my advice to you would be to walk away and wait for the right puppy to come along :)

4. muse08

muse08 PetForums Member

5. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Make sure the area is clean, the mum is with the puppies, they're being raised in the house makes for much better puppies.
    Is it the dad is the labrador? If so he should have been hip tested HD is pretty bad in that breed. Show results don't mean they're healthy at all.
    Get the mums health tests in black and white and go see the dad if possible. If you're uneasy a good breeder should let you take a vet or an experienced friend with you to see if the puppies look healthy. Make sure the eyes are clear and bright and the nose and ears are clean and they look alert.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice