UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kes has up til now been perfect about being left alone but is developing some anxiety. As my OH is looking for work and hopefully starting soon we were hoping to nip this completely in the bud. Do you think not allowing her to follow us round the house or sleep on our bed with us would help this or is she just going through a needy phase? She really needs to get used to being alone. My OH is going away for a few days this week and I assumed I would take Kes to daycare while I'm at work but I'm thinking of leaving her and getting a dog walker in mid-day instead so she isn't freaked out with the OH starts work and this becomes a routine thing. I've ordered a bunch of kongs which will arrive soonish but anything I can do while at home to get her used to her own company again?

Edit: She was always fine when we went out but recently I was told that after I left for work one day she whined and scratched at the front door for 40 minutes after I was gone. If she does damage the interior of the (rented) house she will have to be crated which I'd rather avoid these days.

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
Not sure; maybe put up a pet gate so she can't have access to you at all times and give her a chew / Kong when she is on her own? Leave the house a lot and come back randomly - so 2 minutes, 30 minutes, 5 minutes etc - so it's no big deal?

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure; maybe put up a pet gate so she can't have access to you at all times and give her a chew / Kong when she is on her own? Leave the house a lot and come back randomly - so 2 minutes, 30 minutes, 5 minutes etc - so it's no big deal?
I have said to my OH quite constantly since we got her that he should go out more on his own (has been self employed so at home 24/7) to avoid this happening...low and behold as predicted it's happening now. I'm sure he will be going out more soon while job hunting around town etc but ideas of baby gates etc. are good. We're planning on clearing out our dining room so I can spend time studying in there, if I put a gate there so she has to stay in the living room it might help. :)

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Kes has up til now been perfect about being left alone but is developing some anxiety. As my OH is looking for work and hopefully starting soon we were hoping to nip this completely in the bud. Do you think not allowing her to follow us round the house or sleep on our bed with us would help this or is she just going through a needy phase? She really needs to get used to being alone. My OH is going away for a few days this week and I assumed I would take Kes to daycare while I'm at work but I'm thinking of leaving her and getting a dog walker in mid-day instead so she isn't freaked out with the OH starts work and this becomes a routine thing. I've ordered a bunch of kongs which will arrive soonish but anything I can do while at home to get her used to her own company again?

Edit: She was always fine when we went out but recently I was told that after I left for work one day she whined and scratched at the front door for 40 minutes after I was gone. If she does damage the interior of the (rented) house she will have to be crated which I'd rather avoid these days.
Constant access when you are in can start to make them over dependant, so that when they are left, the contrast is to stark a situation so they cant cope alone. Best way usually is to start to wean them off when you are in starting with short periods and then building it up gradually.

Best thing usually is to ensure they have gotten rid of excess energy and been exercised as late as possible before they are be left. A tired dog who has gotten rid of excess energy usually will settle a lot better and easier.

Things that can often help are, leaving a t-shirt or jumper you have worn in their bed as they have your smell. Leaving a radio on a talking station down low as the sound of voices can often settle them better then silence. Leaving them with things like stuffed Kongs or safe type chews can help too as it gives them something to do and makes a good association. Adaptil plug ins also seem to help a lot of dogs, they emit an artifical version of the pheromone mum emits to calms and soothe pups.

Adaptil helps dogs and puppys learn settle travel and in kennels
Recipes - Kong

Sometime confining them to one room with a baby gate or dog control gate works better too, then shutting a solid door on them which can make them feel more isolated and panic.

Usually its best after a period of activity to start introducing the wind down time alone, just leaving them with no fuss and a kong or chew. Then after before they get stressed or anxious very short times at first, just walk up and let them out, ignore for another minute or two, then call them to you and treat and fuss. You then build the time up gradually as they learn to cope better and make it routine that they have wind down time and rest alone.
What becomes routine becomes normal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.