Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Things to see/do in Belfast

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by happysaz133, Jan 15, 2012.

1. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

Who has been? My sister and I are planning a trip to Belfast for a few days in April. Think we are going on the Monday 9th, and arrive in Belfast at 12 noon. Leaving on a 12noon flight on Thursday 12th. We are going for the Titanic Belfast opening, as I have always been fascinated by it.

I think Tuesday will be our Titanic day, do the exhibition, and a Titanic tour around Belfast. So as we will probably be in the city by about 1pm ish on the Monday (once we collact our bags and get to the city from the airport), I thought maybe we could go to the zoo (is it worth seeing?) and then we'd quite like to go out for dinner (no where fancy, just Brewers Fayre type places if there are any) and maybe see a film. That leaves Wednesday. Any recommendations? We don't mind travelling by train anywhere.

2. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Not too sure as not been here long myself.

A tour? Belfast City Sightseeing

If you go to the cinema at 'The Odeon' in Victoria Square, there are quite a few restaurants there too - La Tasca, Wagamammas, Nandos etc I think (sure Google will have which ones).

ETA: Oooops just noticed you are doing the Titanic tour, sorry.

3. MissHighlander

MissHighlander PetForums Member

When I was there couple years ago, the City Hall did a free 1 hour tour inside the building during the day. Can't remember what the times were when its was done. But I think the staff did it 2-3 times a day.

4. Cranmer

Cranmer PetForums VIP

Take a bus tour up The Causeway Coast, and stop off at Carrick A Rede Rope Bridge;

[​IMG]

Visit the Causeway. Then stop off at the Bushmills Distillery.

5. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Belfast castle does very nice food apparently. I know the scones are lovely but I've never had a meal there. And the grounds are lovely with walking trails of various difficulties. Although chances are it'll be horrendous weather since it's Ireland ;)

Giants Causeway is where I always wanted to go but we never made it there due to my epilepsy being so bad while we were living in Ireland.

6. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

As others have said, if you want to leave Belfast the North Antrim Coast is gorgeous! That I do know, I take Kilo quite a lot :D.

7. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Haven't been to the zoo, but the city trip is well worth it - decades of history - I've been to Belfast a couple of times, predominantly work, but also one leisure trip - people are so friendly - enjoy :D

8. tiggerthumper

tiggerthumper PetForums VIP

Hey, I live near Belfast, unfortunately I don't really know much about the tourism side lol but as the others have said the North coast is fantastic!
    If you don't fancy going so far there is Crawfordsburn Country Park, it is beautiful, right on the coast as well. There is a train that goes from Belfast regularly, which will take you to Helen's Bay station and the country park is a short walk.
    Here are directions from the station...Helen's Bay, North Down, UK to Crawfordsburn Country Park - Google Maps

Info on Crawfordsburn...http://www.doeni.gov.uk/niea/crawfordsburn.shtml

Train timetables...Northern Ireland Railways Service 1 Inbound - Translink

There is a fantastic bar/restaurant called the Crawfordsburn Inn if you wanted to spend the day up there.

The zoo in my experience is alright, I always seem to go when half the animals aren't in their exhibits, so it may just be my bad luck! I would say go somewhere like Crawfordsburn before I'd advise the zoo, but I guess you'd have to enjoy walking!

The link that Dogless provided has day tours to the North Coast, it looks like the most economic way to get there and back, but obviously you'd be restricted to the tour timetable, here's a link to the North Coast Tour Full Day Tours of the Antrim Coast and Giants Causeway | Belfast City Sightseeing

9. tiggerthumper

tiggerthumper PetForums VIP

Oh yes, and if you want to eat in the City centre go here! Links - Gallery The food is great, it's not too expensive and the staff are just lovely! It's very traditional, very, very cosy and it's hidden away so not as busy as it should be!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice