Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Things to ask a breeder?

Discussion in 'Small Animal Chat' started by iFallOffStuff, Apr 8, 2017.

1. iFallOffStuff

iFallOffStuff PetForums Newbie

I've been having conversation with a nearby hamster breeder but as it is my first time buying from a non=pet shop I'm a bit worried I may be sold an Ill or unwell hamster. I know the obvious things to look for when I get there but are there any qualifications / licenses I can ask if they have to minimise the chances of me pulling out when I get there?

2. FeelTheBern

FeelTheBern They don't like it up 'em, sir!

I'd say you would be more likely to be sold an unwell hamster if you were to go to a pet store. However I'm not saying that a "breeder" couldn't sell you an unwell specimen. Some people will call themselves a "breeder" if their hamster unintentionally fell pregnant and want to sell the pups to make a quick buck. You need to be careful that you are not dealing with this kind of person.
    Have you visited this breeder and viewed the conditions in which the hamsters are living? Is this breeder licensed by the appropriate association? The British Hamster Association website lists a number of reputable, fully licensed hamster breeders.

#2 FeelTheBern, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  3. iFallOffStuff

Thanks, I tried looking at the BHA before but whenever I try to view the register I get an error message, the breeder calls themselves a 'hobby breeder' with no license so I'm a little bit cautious

4. FeelTheBern

If I were you I think I'd avoid any breeder identifying themselves as a "hobby breeder". "Hobby" suggests that they may be inexperienced. The absence of a license could also spell trouble as it means that they are unregulated. Considering the fact that this breeder does not have a license, it is unlikely that their hamsters have had all recommended health checks. If this is the case, the hamsters may well be diseased, sick or harboring genetic issues. Of course, all of this could be false but it's probably best to be on the safe side and look elsewhere. I might be able to locate a breeder for you; in which part of the country are you located?

5. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

Hiya, hamster breeders don't have a licence for breeding & there are a lot of bad, clueless people breeding hamsters - so its very good that you are being cautious. If you're unable to access the BHA website I would recommend you try joining this forum - http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/. I know there is at least one good breeder on there, because I can see her username on the forum. So I'm sure if you join and do a post they will be able to put you in touch with a responsible breeder in your area. Failing that you could also visit a hamster show & speak to breeders there :)

6. FeelTheBern

So you don't need a license to be a reputable hamster breeder? I feel stupid now. I just assumed that hamster breeders could be licensed. I've never bought hamsters from a breeder.

#6 FeelTheBern, Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    noushka05 likes this.
  7. noushka05

I mostly rescued hammies when I had them, but the couple I did buy were from reputable hobby breeders. These breeders knew the backgrounds of all their hammies & babies came with a pedigree. There are of course, many hobby breeders who are completely clueless & these should be avoided at all cost as should the big commercial breeders who supply pet shops. I would imagine if licences are required it would be commercial breeders who require them. Don't feel stupid, you were only trying to steer the op away from supporting an irresponsible breeder FTB :)

#7 noushka05, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    FeelTheBern likes this.
  8. noushka05

9. iFallOffStuff

Thanks everyone, i'll try that forum and see what they say!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice