Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Thing's have not worked out

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by SpringerHusky, Jun 2, 2010.

1. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

:frown: I'm really upset right now. Sadly We will have to rehome Monty for his own Safety, Maya charged at him but we always told her off for it even removing her from the room. Sadly last night Maya had her whole mouth around him and had picked him up :scared: he's not hurt but now I'm worried all the time (Maya is now kept out of the front room but she's not happy about this and it's unfair on her she was here first). I'm sure give it time things may work out but I don't want to risk it and with Monty being about 7 weeks old now he'll find a good home super quick.

He's really such a sweet boy, sleeps on my bed and in his litter tray :lol: and plays with Rusty.

As sad as I am I know i'm doing the right thing :frown:

2. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

It's early days though. As you must realise, there is no quick fix to any aspect of training dogs. I would get some advice about it all and give it a little longer before making any big decisions. Manage it well in the meantime though... baby-gates, plenty of time for the dogs without the cat around. Has Maya got a house-line on so you can easily get her away from kitty? Remove kitty from room rather than Maya? Kittens are learning fast at this age - I bet he will eventually learn that Maya is to be avoided, providing you manage it well in the early days and give him plenty of places to escape.

3. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

Yeah I would give it more time. The kitty will learn to escape from her and they should be fine.

4. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

havent mals got a fairly strong prey instinct? and whilst they can be ok with existing cats in a household introducing another is generally very very difficult?

or am i barking up the wrong tree?

5. SpringerHusky

I thought I could work with her I know it's only been a week but she had him in her mouth! I don't know if I can trust her, she charges at him and barks at him. She charges spike but he's out most of the time and Monty is VERY small. He's never been interested in Maya but if he gets near her or Rusty plays with him she goes after him and i've been trying but she took a step too far. I really thought she'd killed him because he went lifeless in her mouth :crying: The thing is she is a malamute, she does have a high prey instinct and with monty being so tiny it does not help, but I really don't know if I have the courage to risk it. :(

6. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

7. SpringerHusky

She's bigger and quicker than him, if she does it again he might be dead :frown:

Yes, You are correct. She tolerates my cat and I thought she would with Monty and we'd work at it but after what happened how can i trust her? I've heard of mals killing cats.

8. SpringerHusky

We already have one, they are great but have not helped. They calm a dog down but don't over ride a prey instinct :(

9. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Sorry I did'nt realise you had a Mal :eek: fantastic dogs but not trustworthy with cats or at least thats what I was led to beleive. Sounds like your in for some heart break but better knowing that Monty is safe I think xxx

Oh you'd think Id have guessed with SpringerHusky :eek: sorry on the blue pills this week :rolleyes:

#9 Dally Banjo, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  10. SpringerHusky

Yeah sadly, this is not per say a normal dog but a dog known for high prey instinct. This is what worries me, she has killed small animals before and what's to stop her killing him the next time? I just can not trust her around him. I am devastated and I don't want to but I just can't bear to risk it. :crying:

11. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

It sounds to me like you know what is best for the kitty. I'm sorry it didn't work out :( Prehaps an older cat might be easier?

12. Fuzzbugs!x

Fuzzbugs!x PetForums VIP

Our mal loves cats lol, but he is most definately one of the few that do. Mals can and have killed cats, and i mean cats that have been in the garden that had plenty of routes to escape :(. Especially with him being so small. It's odd that she didn't hurt him though, i mean if she was 'hunting' him as such, wouldn't she just have well .. ripped him apart? Most mals that i've heard of have literally just killed the cat and thats that. Poor kitty :(. Don't envy your situation at all SpringerHusky x

13. SpringerHusky

I don't want to give him up but I just don't want his life at risk :frown: sadly an older cat would not work, we tried to foster one and she chased him through the whole house plus my older cat dosen't like other cats much. I think we'll just stick with spike, atleast I'll have one cat.

Yeah, My mal mix adores cats and adores monty. Maya is not a cat killer, she is a cat chaser but i worry it could take a step to far. She gets on ok with my older cat, he was first here so but monty only came here last week. I'm amazed she didn't hurt him but I got to her pretty quickly (I had gone to the toilet and mum was on the phone) so I think that's the reason he didn't end up hurt.

14. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

could you crate the kitten when you aren't around (large dog crate, add a shelf to make more space) until he's bigger and she's fully used to him?

my Springer was a confirmed cat hater when we got Indy and at 12 very set in his ways but but containing the kitten in a way he could see/hear and smell without being able to attack him.... they are now incredibly close.

If kitten has supervised playtime and free run of your room at night/dog shut out then it could be worth a try.

15. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

It's careful management then. Baby gates, escape routes for kitten, and you keeping a constant eye on Maya. Lots of dogs will chase if the cat runs... Merlin was the same.... high drive to chase (well what do you expect from a cross between two working herding breeds!!!).

In time the cat learns if it doesn't run it won't get chased.

Cuba never ran from him even at 8 wks old because she had grown up with a dog (a Shih Tzu). But my friend who took on a young cat, after I visited enough with Merlin, cat worked that out for herself and she has NEVER run near him since. It was observing this behaviour with him & the cat, that gave me confidence enough to get a small kitten myself (Cuba). They are great with each other now.

I really don't think it's impossible.... is your house on two storeys? Very easy to make the upstairs "Cat Land" with gates at the bottom and no dogs go up there. My sister had similar issues with her GSDs and any new cat that came in but it always worked out in the end with a lot of attention to training and detail.

Don't give up just yet :)

16. Shamen

Shamen Guest

you cant trust her! im surprised you even took the risk of getting a kitten:eek: you even say Maya has a high prey drive as do many Mals so i cant understand why you would get a kitten in the 1st place:confused:

i think the only responsible thing to do is to rehome the kitten asap.

#16 Shamen, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2010
  17. NEW2CATS

NEW2CATS PetForums VIP

op didnt 'get' the kitten it was dumped on her!

i think you are prob best off rehoming asap before you get more bonded with monty

18. Shamen

Shamen Guest

sorry i didnt realise that:eek:, but really the op should have been more vigilant and i still think the kitten should be rehomed as soon as, Mals are known for having a high prey drive its far too risky to have them both under the same roof.

#18 Shamen, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2010
  19. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

My friends fully grown cat got mouthed by a Mal and ended up with a punctured lung and broken hip, I think rehoming him would be the best as it's not fair on Maya either as it's her home. At least you'll be able to make sure he goes to a good home unlike his mum's owner who just dumped him on you.

20. kelly-joy

kelly-joy PetForums VIP

I am sorry you are faced with this hard decision:( the fact is you don't trust your dog with the kitten and if you can't separate them then there is a very high risk of the kitten getting hurt or worse still killed. If you need help re homing your kitten please feel free to pm me.:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice