Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

things for mice to chew and other toys

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by mousemighty, Jul 28, 2009.

1. mousemighty

mousemighty PetForums Member

hi would like to know what treats you give youre mice ,also what things do you give to them to help with chewing, and hosuing thing s .Infact anything about mice please share many thanks

2. spankingtigger

spankingtigger PetForums Member

hi im suprised you dont have any replys yet, when i have my many mice they used to get loads of stuff to chew and play on, things like bird toys with wood and rope, tubes kitchen roll and toilet roll being my lots faves, fruit tree branched they loved and tended to strip of the bark and play with it, you can also get some chew/house things in p@h they are wooden barky type house that is 100% edible my lot loved them.

as for treat my lot alway had locust beans, bird seed, milk and choc drops, rodent sticks (makes them work for food) , some cerals rice crispies, shredded wheat elt nothing to sugary, and i also used to give then some hand rearing food for bids call egg food mixed with some lactol into a paste they loved it always had them running to it lol you can also give them bread soaked in lactol again they loved it. (lactol is a powered puppy and kitten milk)

if you want any more info just ask :)

im not about for the next 2 weeks as going away but will reply when i return if cuba let me out the country haha

3. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

Defrosted frozen peas are a favorite treat of my mice. Also crumbled wheat husk. Never anything with sugar or meat though. My food mix is filled with hard thinks for them to chew and crunch and I give them dry hay when I clean their tanks, so they never chew on anything unless they are making a new entrance in a house. :D

4. spankingtigger

why not meat? meat is in the natural wild diet! they love meal worms and crickets and small pieces of cooked meat!

5. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

1. I buy cheap rope dog toys from pound shops, take them apart and make little rope pathways for them to get from one side of the cage to the other, and they are good to slightly untwist and hide treats in.

2. They also have apple tree branches from my mums garden (you need to be completely sure the tree has not been sprayed with any chemicals) They climb up them and chew them and I can hide dog biscuits in them to chew.

3. They also have a parachute/hammock thingy that I made out of a cheap cut up kite, it makes an extra level, I use this to put treats in but even when its empty they love to be in it.

4. They have the sort of food bowls that clip on the side of the cage and I usually put them quite high up so they have to climb to get the food, this seems to make them more active. I also scatter feed and bury special treats.

5. My mice also love to go out in hamster playballs, as they are fairly big mice they go in the full size balls but you can also get the dwarf balls for the smaller mice.

6. They get very small amounts of fresh fruit and veg and if they need building up they have also had baby porridge.

7. I also have a treasure/digging basket, one of the plastic peg baskets that you get from wilkinsons (minus the pegs) I hang it from the roof of the cage with access via the ropes, I fill the basket with ripped up newspaper and treats, this is probably their favourite activity besides the wheels, they love to dig and kick the paper out and they carry bits of paper away like prized trophys.

8. Absolute favourite toy is the wheels (like most rodents)

I will try to upload some pics,but they aren't very good so probably won't show most of the toys.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. spankingtigger

can i have your cage please lol

7. thedogsmother

No you can't, I paid hundreds of pounds for it from a posh pet boutique..... Oh I mean I got it off Ebay for £15:D. Its a lot bigger than it looks in that picture, I was gob smacked when I went to pick it up. Its an imac but I don't know what model (sorry). Just to show the size,my daughter is 9 years old in this picture,

[​IMG]

8. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

Niiiiiice cage.

9. mousemighty

mousemighty PetForums Member

thanks for the advice , dogs mother i love tyyour set up .but i dont think youre daughter will part with it. ive been tieing bird seed thing s for them to hang on it was so much fun.i cant remember were i bought the cheap bird seed bell with seeds on. /??????can i give my mice meat ???? and why not sweet things pls ? is it so they dont rot teeth. agagin many thanks

10. thedogsmother

You need to try to stick to their natural diet as much as possible, so they should mostly eat seeds, but I do treat mine with dried mealworms, I hadn't actually heard that they shouldn't eat meat:eek: I think natural sugars are fine like in fruit etc, but yes, unless they will let you clean their teeth lol I would avoid sugary treats also salty treats are to be avoided for the same reasons humans should avoid them.

11. zany_toon

zany_toon PetForums VIP

They can't process the sugar in their digestive system and it can make them ill.
    As for meat all my reading suggests that they should eat some meat protein and from the information I've checked on most store bought rat/mice food there is meat of some sort in it. I give my mice a mix of the following for their food:
    barley, rye, wheat, wild bird seed, dried peas, marrowbone dog biscuits, dried veg and natural puffed rice or cornflakes (again natural). apparently small amounts of cooked chicken are good for them but, I haven't tried my meecicles with it yet.
    as a treat they get the occasional bit of fruit (they love cucumber and strawberries or runner beans, broccoli and carrots) or some P@H rat muffins or donuts. They also steal a little bit of cat biscuit and as I discovered last night they liked my supper of scrambled egg!!

12. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

Yeah, I meant actual raw meat, or cooked. As a rule I don't give it to my mice, same as I don't give them anything with sugar. But yes, I give marrowbone dog treats and cat food to older mice and nursing moms if I think they need the high protien.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice