Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

They're here!!!

Discussion in 'Poultry Chat' started by clg86, Apr 26, 2011.

1. clg86

clg86 PetForums Member

Oh my god! I'm in love with them already!

They are such characters. Madeline, Judy and Midge...:rolleyes:

Madeline is boss, Judy is sooooooo intrigued by everything, and Midge is bald and a littl etimid but getting there.

One of them laid an egg before we even got them home on Friday :eek:

2. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Yey! I'd LOVE some but I wouldn't have the room *jealous*

Have lots of fun with them :D

Em
    xx

3. clg86

clg86 PetForums Member

Not great pictures but...
    Madeline.jpg
    Judy.jpg
    Midge.jpg

4. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Love the second one!!

5. clg86

clg86 PetForums Member

That's Judy, she's a little star. She's so nosey, and not scarred of anything.

We have a 3 year old that lives next door who runs up and down our garden screaming like crazy, and she just stands watching him like she wants to join in.

I LOVE THEM!!!:p

6. bigdaddy

bigdaddy PetForums VIP

well done now you have them you will never be without them

you will get hours of fun from them and they will come when you call them that are pretty quick to pick things up aswell

7. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

They are lovely. Who is the third one? She looks a bit (alot!) scraggy now but I'll bet in a few weeks she'll be looking much better :D

Agree with Bigdaddy - they are brilliant fun. Ours make me laugh so much. They have just been following me & the dogs around the garden.

Apart from Judy what are the other two called?

8. clg86

clg86 PetForums Member

Yeah, Judy already comes running when she hears us talking.

How long would you leave it before letting them out of the run (only at weekends when we are there of course) or will they stress when we're not there and we can't let them out?

9. bigdaddy

bigdaddy PetForums VIP

i let mine all the time and have done since day one they only come out when im there to keep a eye on them they normal come in the house and have a look i dont mind but you got to watch when they poo :lol:

letting them out will be fine but be warned if there is anything plant wise you would like to keep them either move it or block it off from them they will love to scratch around and dig holes and dust bath in the dirt they are good at getting rid of the bugs in the garden

they wont get stressed they will learn that when your there they can come out mine will go back in the run on there own i just leave the door open if they are being stubbon just put a few meal worms in the run they will soon be in there

10. clg86

clg86 PetForums Member

Bald one is Midge, she's so adorable but still a little timid. Madeline (the other one) gave her a hard time for the first couple of days but now they sleep snuggled up together on the perch.

Will the try and fly away if I let them out?

11. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Sorry, just re-read & can see their names on the first post :eek:

The hierarchy with our 3 changed several times before they established who was top hen. None of them bully each other too much but Blanche is definitely in charge now!

They can fly a bit. Ours have an enclosed are with 6ft fences so I doubt they will get over that but if you are worried you can always clip their flight feathers to prevent them escaping.

What sort of enclosure are they in?

Don't know if I (or anyone esle said) that they love grapes. When ours know that i have grapes they run so fast up to the gate to meet me. Make sure you cut the grapes up in to halves or thirds so they can't choke on them

12. clg86

clg86 PetForums Member

Yeah I'm on top of the grapes! They love them.

They have a run about 9' long and 3.5' high. I just feel bad when they watch me pottering around the garden. Especially Judy. She gets so excited when I open their house door to give them fresh water.

13. clg86

clg86 PetForums Member

chooks run.jpg

This is the shed we converted and the run we've built for them. As you can see, we don't have any grass but there's loads of nook and crannies they can get into under the bushes...

14. bigdaddy

bigdaddy PetForums VIP

give them a good floor covering of wood chipping so they have some thing to scrath around in while they are in the run and maybe think about covering one end of the run to keep it dry and shaded from the sun as they will get hot

you will see them holding the beaks open tio try and keep cool

the ex batts are not great big brids so the height of the run shouldnt be a problem really ifthey are being let out to run around etc

mine spend alot of time in the run but mine is over 6ft high and6ft wide and nearly 12 ft long and has full roof to keep the run dry ish the side are open so they get the best of both worlds lol

have replyed on the other thread about treats aswell

15. clg86

clg86 PetForums Member

Thanks Bigdaddy!

Yeah, I bought wood chipping for them and the half closest to the house is covered. They also have a sand bath in there too. I thought they might stop laying whilst they get used to everything but we've had eggs every day since we brought them home :)

16. bigdaddy

bigdaddy PetForums VIP

great gald to hear they have settled in well :001_smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice