Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

They're here !!!

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by shiningmonk, Apr 18, 2011.

1. shiningmonk

shiningmonk PetForums Newbie

I came home from work today, opened garage door and inside door, my lab girl meets me, tail a-wagging. But there is an unusual smell. I go into kitchen/family room and find she's given birth to 4 living pups, 1 dead. Then I find a 5th alive on the sofa. Goodness knows how he got there. I put them all in whelping pen and she starts suckling and 1/2 hour later a 6th is born. I think maybe 1 more is due.

She has cut the cords herself, is licking them and feeding them and being a right proper mum. I put her out a couple of times then she was eager to get back to them. She drank a bowl of water in one go. Vet gave reassuring words on phone. Wife is driving over to Cheshire from Leicester.

If there was a way to share photos I would!

The dead one was under a sheet, she picked him up and popped him on the sheet. Dad (12 month old lab) is with me in study right now, being kept well away though he has shown curiosity and she has stopped any warning growls.

So far 2 yellows, 2 white yellows (including one little naughty rascal who is exact same colour as dad!), 2 chocolates. I go down now and see if there are any more.

PS My apologies to those who are used to whelping, this is my first time and I am euphoric.

2. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Can I ask you if anyone was with the dog all day as she was due to whelp? and if there was where were they when she did go into labour and have her babies, I have never ever left my dog when she was coming to the end of her pregnancy, as anything could of happened to mum as well as puppies. One could of been stuck and you could of come home to a dead dog and babies dead inside her. When she have finished giving birth then please take her to the vet for examination for retained placenta's as you would of not known if she had passed one for every puppy being born. Sorry to sound horrible but I am shocked that your dog was on her own.
    Congratulations on the surviving puppies and so sorry to hear about the dead ones.

3. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

Sorry why did you leave your bitch when she is due?

Is this a wind up

4. Ridgielover

Ridgielover PetForums Senior

For anyone reading this thread - this is the way NOT to breed a litter :( Caring breeders do not just leave their bitches to get on with it - and leave another dog with them. The owner (can't bring myself to use the word "breeder" in this case!) has been lucky that only one puppy has died and that the bitch is fine.

5. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

Bloody gobsmacked at the total irresponsibilty :mad:

6. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

That was one hell of a short pregnancy given that in a previous post you said that conception was around 12th March :rolleyes:

I'm thinking that this is a wind up :p

7. CAstbury

CAstbury PetForums VIP

That is exactly what I was thinking! A 37 day pregnancy? And as for leaving your dog to give birth on her own and contemplating still going to work and leaving a friend to keep an eye on her - I sincerely hope this is a wind up - if not I would suggest you neuter both your dogs as soon as possible and not be so irresponsible again :(

8. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

Aw *breathe*....well spotted you 2 :) Lets hope its another bored eejit with nothing else to do but to try and wind people up (well succeeded with me for a moment)

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.:mad:

9. shiningmonk

shiningmonk PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the kind words.

On the advice, I have to disagree. I have seen a lot of (oft conflicting) advice from armchair experts on the net and ran everything by our two vets and nurse, whom we trust, since it is their job and they come with qualifications.

I agree that while giving birth, there is a risk if the bitch takes more than an hour between pups and our nurse suggested we call her if that happened. However, realistically, this could equally happen at night and we wouldnt be any the wiser. We couldnt be expected not to sleep for a week (our bitch was 3 days premature but could equally have been 3 days late).

We were told to bring the pups in at 2 weeks and will follow that advice also.

We have also been told by one "expert" that "bitches never cut the umbilical cord and I have always had to do it myself so you will need sterilised scissors". Our vets said this was untrue and it proved to be so.

Ultimately, our vets reminded us that dogs know how to give birth and do it on their own in the wild. The less interference from us the better. My wife, a medical consultant with over 20 years experience, was able to understand and explain to me the medical reasoning for all the advice offered.

10. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Vets also killed a bitch belonging to a friend of mine :rolleyes:

Vets know sweet nothing about breeding :mad:

11. *face palm*

How would you know? She was completely alone.

You take it in turns, set alarms for every hour ect...ect...

Hehehe.

My vet believes you can and should breed a bitch at 12months old, with no health tests and eye testing any pups is "not the breeders responsibility".

12. CAstbury

CAstbury PetForums VIP

The few friends I have who have bred - have slept in the same room as their bitch when they are due -so that as soon as anything happens they are there to intervene IF needed.

If the mating took place on 12 March -how do you work out that they were 3 days early? To my reckoning they were nearly 4 weeks early - alternatively the dogs were just allowed to mate without supervison and you didnt actually know the date of the mating?

You state that your were advised to call your vet/nurse if more than an hour between puppies - but you were out at work! The first could have been born not long after you left and then you just left your bitch on her own - you could have lost the mother and the puppies.

Yes 'in the wild' dogs give birth on their own - but could you have lived with your conscience if your dog had died because you left her?

Luckily she didnt - but you have to stay with her for at least a couple of weeks now - in case she rolls onto one of the pups.

FYI - a very good friend of mine who breeds dogs - spends the week before the anticipated birth and at least 2 weeks after, sleeping on a mattress next to the whelping box with heatlamps over it - and the last 3 litters she has had she has lost 1 pup per litter while she a) went to the loo, b) answered the phone and c) was sorting out food for her other dogs - so it does happen.

13. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

I don't know whether to take offence at the phrase "arm chair experts" or laugh at it.... maybe whelping 181 litters and seeing virtually everything there is to see classes me under qualified to pass judgement :confused:

14. CAstbury

CAstbury PetForums VIP

Maybe you have been doing it wrong all the time - and you should have just left them to 'get on with it' :eek:

15. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

took the words right out of my mouth :001_smile:

16. I think the fact the OP clearly doesnt know what day his dog mated his bitch and the fact he let it happen and then left them together on whelping day speaks for its self Tanya.

I know who I would rather have at the birth of my dog......

17. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

Theres will always be someone who knows better..........;)

18. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

Unbelievable :mad: :mad: :mad:

19. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Very few vets have qualifications to advise on breeding correctly.

Realistically responsible breeders take shifts with a partner, or worse case sleep, eat, read etc next to their bitch for a week up to the birth and then for weeks after.

Please tell me you're booked off work now for at least a few weeks so you can be there for your bitch and her pups?

But you will get either your bitch or the pups to the vet immediately should any problems arise right?

Not sure who told you that, and don't really care. But would like to say arn't you lucky that your bitch did it for you! That was one hell of a risk to take in itself had your bitch decided she didn't want to break the cords.

Experience in anything, does not ever guarentee that the person knows what they are talking about. Only that they have experience.

Are you aware of the fatality rate of pups born in the wild? We don't have wild dogs (well not really) in this country ... I wonder why?

Besides we are not talking about wild dogs, we are talking about domesticated animals. Two very different circumstances.

Please do the right thing and get by your bitches side and don't leave her alone for a few weeks at least.

20. CAstbury

CAstbury PetForums VIP

I dont normally get involved in any of the breeding threads - but the OP has been totally irresponsible. I just hope that the bitch/dog werent related - and that they have at least been health checked and not just looked over by a vet?
    :mad:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice