Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

'They Grey' Liam Neeson movie

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by noushka05, Jan 27, 2012.

1. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

2. 5rivers79

5rivers79 PetForums VIP

Will boycotting a movie actually help? What about all the other wolf movies? I was looking forward to it tbh.

3. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

...but it looks so good!

4. noushka05

wolves already have an unjust negative image, they dont kill man, they are shy and fearful of humans and with good cause....the big bad wolf image they were labeled with long ago has long since been disproved, yet some people still have an ingrained irrational hatred towards them. What makes this movie worse is that at this present time in America wolves are being mercilessy hunted just as they were 100 years ago.

scare mongering caused by this irresponsible movie will see the wolf demonised by more ignorant people and even more wolf blood will be spilled, i couldnt play any party to that...thats why i'll be boycotting it.

5. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

Wasn't going to see it anyway :blush:

But I hadn't thought about it like that. I don't think the average joe in the UK though will come out of the movie and have a desire to hunt or hate wolves...but it is a shame that for the most part you see wolves in films and on tv as vicious animals that will eat humans if given half a chance.

6. 5rivers79

5rivers79 PetForums VIP

I think a fair few of the irresponsible people actually believe wolves and 'werewolves' are the same thing. Wolves are awe inspiring creatures and would love to actually meet one someday. Why in America is there no protest or march on a large scale against what it going on? A march in front of the whitehouse would imo be very effective.

As there has not been any movie with wolves for a while, i believe something like this would raise an interest in the average joe to look up whats going on with the wolf in current times.

#6 5rivers79, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  7. Kivasmum

Kivasmum PetForums VIP

It is a shame that wolves are seen by some as 'man killers' and that they are being hunted, because they are beautiful, intelligent and fascinating creatures :(
    However, I don't think a film that shows them in an aggressive light will make people 'hate' them or want to harm them etc.......most rational people know that films are dramatized and not real life (except toy story, that really happens ;)) people that want to hunt and kill such a beautiful creature will do so for their own gains or simply for pleasure because they are twisted, but I doubt because they saw a film.
    I do agree with the motivation behind your post though noushka, they are amazing animals and the thought of them being needlessly hunted is awful :(

8. Linden_Tree

Linden_Tree PetForums Member

The fact they purchased four dead wolves; two as "props" and two which the cast actually ate, is reason enough for me to boycott this movie. How the wolf is represented is irrellevant. To show such disregard for the lives of such amazing animals is utterly appalling. Hollywood and the actors involved have gone too far in my opinion.

Plus Liam Neeson is it in it, and i find him a terrible one dimensional actor.

9. Kivasmum

Kivasmum PetForums VIP

:eek: :eek: I didn't read that bit :( I'm on my phone so only 'skim'
    I agree, that is just wrong! They can make all the weird and wonderful animals in harry potter appear real but they couldn't 'fake' a dead wolf :mad: did these 4 wolves get killed to order? If so, and it was merely for props and dinner then that is outrageous!!

10. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Is there proof they ate 2 dead wolfs? I wouldnt have thought they would use actual dead animals They would stink after a short while and under lights e.t.c they would decompose quicker.

I will watch it but i wont pay to see it ;) I like liam neeson his voice makes me go weak!

11. 5rivers79

5rivers79 PetForums VIP

Is there proof they actually ate wolf meat? If so thats shocking.

As for Liam Neeson being a terrible actor, nah i dnt agree. Schindlers List, Nell, Rob Roy, Michael Collins are movies with exceptional acting by Neeson. Then the more recent action movies Taken, Unknown, Batman Begins, Star Wars Episode 1. Great actor imo.

12. noushka05

just think of it like this..how would anyone feel if it were a movie depicting say Akita's as a dangerous breed? .....this movie will have just the same effect as the media has demonising certain dog breeds...some people will believe that wolves are just like that.

check out the howling for justice blog 5Rivers... Howling For Justice

13. noushka05

yes its true the actors did eat wolf meat!

14. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Where on earth did you get this load of drivel?

15. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

I will not be boycotting it and in fact the moment there is a call to boycott something it merely makes the forbidden more desirable.

Wolves have appeared in many films where are the statistics that link such films with an increase in bloodlust for wolves?

16. 5rivers79

5rivers79 PetForums VIP

Movies sensationalise/demonise everything from animals to kids. Look at the Omen film and Rotties for example. Id love Akitas to be in movies as it is the only breed as awesome as the great wolf imo. When i was a kid i wanted a wolf..and now i have one in my Sammy :001_tt1:

17. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Some sites are saying frozen wolf meat was flow in for them to eat it was in a freezer in a blokes basement and had freezer burns as much as i think it horrible I dont really see that as much different to eating any animal. People there eat Bears, carabo (sp) e.t.c I dont like it But then i dont like any animal to be killed and eaten really

I dont think people who have brains will think all wolves are killer because of the film, But i do think the stupid uneducated people will keep their opinion that wolves are like that :( which is a little worrying But those type could see a film with a cuddly wolf and still think badly of them

18. ginge2804

ginge2804 PetForums VIP

For one, I don't believe they actually ate wolf meat or anything like that...
    Two, I don't think boycotting a film will make any difference, a film is a film at the end of the day... If we were to boycott every film where people could think things were dangerous etc then no one would ever watch any scary/dramatic kind of film...
    And three.. Liam neeson is an amazingggg actor. His was amazing in taken.

19. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

To be fair the eating wolf thing could be a slightly lame publicity stunt.

Maybe all shark films should banned, and Apparently I'm a celebrity, get me out of here.

I don't know anyone that would watch The Grey and then going on a wolf killing spree, or think of them only as mindless killing machines.

20. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

It's not a verified source, but according to the local press, four wolf carcasses were used, two for props, two for a meal:

Method motivates Liam Neeson, 'The Grey' cast to dine on wolf meat

Although lamb was used in the film for the scenes showing them eating wolf.

I've been in the discussions before re wolves, I don't agree with Noushka 100% over it, but it would be nice to see a clear definition of what, where and why, rather than just leave it to guessing, which then leads to people possibly jumping to the wrong (or right) assumptions.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice