Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

They are whippets

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Freyja, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Yesterday I was walking Willow and Buck when a man we had never seen before approached us with a cocker spaniel off lead. Its ok he says he is friendly. Well I was talking to a friend who has a staffie who is not friendly which we point out in the hope he will go way.

No he lets his dog pester the staffie so my friend says I'm going and walked of.

He then tells me his cocker is a working cocker. Very doubtful as he had no control over it what so ever maybe working lines but not a working dog. He says it caught its first pidgeon the day before cus thats what he was bred to do. No I said they are retrieving dogs they flush game and retrieve the birds when they have been shot. He was adament they are bred to kill the birds.mmmmmmmmm

He then asks how many rabbits my whippets have caught then tells me they must be very young pups and shouldn't be out. I told him they are italian greyhounds not whippets. They are whippets he says I know what whippets looke like. So do I, I replied I breed whippets I have 8 of them these are toy dogs they do not work.

Eventually I just walked off and ignored him there's just no getting through to some people.:nono: All this time his dog was running round annoying other people and generally doing as it pleased.

2. Sparkle

Sparkle PetForums Senior

People like that get on my nerves... I get oh look TEACup chihuahuas and I'm like there is no such thing yadayada and then I get but there is seriously yours are they are tiny and I'm like oh jeez I can't even speak to people like that because they won't listen I tend to just switch off and walk away!!

3. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

corr what a delightful man :frown2:

4. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

Sounds like a guy I bumped into last year standing outsife the pub having a smoke.
    He stopped me and asked where I got my "akita" and went on to ask if id registered her with the local police station as they are classed as dangerous dogs and you need a license to own and breed them. :blink:
    Oh and when I do breed her to give him a shout!

Yes mate, you are first on my list to shout at but not for that reason :nono:

5. Alice Childress

Alice Childress PetForums VIP

I literally do not understand the blind ignorance and arrogance of people! Why is everyone an expert?! Drives me insane. People like that seem so oblivious to it though that I worry that maybe I am just like them but don't notice either! What if we are all just like him and don't know it?? *shudders*

6. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

:lol: what a numpty! Of course someone who breeds them wouldn't have the foggiest what they look like, would they! Daft! :lol: Mind you, I htink people have their brians set to 'whippet' when they see sighthounds. It seems to be the go-to term for oddballs and nutcases. Nero has even been called a whippet before :blink:

I have no idea how people can be so block-headed!

Have you come accross this kind of comment before?

7. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

And I thought people were numpties when they thought Iggies were toy greyhounds bred down somehow!!:rolleyes: You get these people everywhere unfortunatley. (had one the other day at work, coz she had been a nursing assistant for 10yrs she thought she knew more then the Drs, daft cow!!):D

Good thing I didnt see you.. I would have shouted "whats that?" and pointed and all you would have seen would be me running into the distance with an Iggie bum under each arm!!LOL:lol:
    ;)

8. pickle

pickle PetForums Senior

Well my GSP is apparently a chocolate Dalmation........., because they have big brown patches sometimes!

So she's not even a correctly marked Dalmation and she has a docked tail!!!!!!!

9. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I do think you are being a bit ungrateful, the man was obviously just pointing out your silly mistake just like the kind person who informed me that Henrick is a samoyed, I feel so daft thinking he was a gsd all that time:eek:.

10. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

I agree just like I actually have pure bred labs Coz some dude who breeds then knows labs and I defo have 2 oh and that I should breed them (doesn't matter that they are two boys!)

Silly us lot not knowing our own dogs :blink:

11. holly2009

holly2009 Guest

Hate to say it BUT....I think he was right on one thing, the dog being a Working Cocker! I don't think he meant a 'working' dog!

You can get two types of cocker spaniel....show cockers & working cockers!
    Both can be pets but working cockers need more 'working' :) they look quite different also! Workers coats are much finer & not so curly, their eyes aren't droopy like stereo typical cockers etc & they usually have high hunt drives!
    Lots of people use working cockers for trailing, shooting/ retrieving etc as mentioned! And generally need lots more mental stimulation otherwise they
    can become bored & distructive!

Overall he sounds a right numpty :blink::)

12. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

If you read my post properly you will find i did state it may be working bred but not an actual working dog

13. holly2009

holly2009 Guest

Send my deepest apologies for not reading properly :rolleyes:: thought it was a dog chat forum ho hum....back to the breeding board for me I think!

14. Carla-Jade

Carla-Jade PetForums VIP

:lol: my girls get called greyhounds all the time & i reply with thye are whippets they look at me funny

some do say thye are iggies cos willow is so small (well they call it a miniature grey so i asssume iggie!)

while i was still at work i had a framed pic of my girls at about ummm say 12 weeks old they were outsie in the garden together & somebody came to my office to TELL me there was just no way they were whippets.

obviously i corected her as they were my dogs & i had the KC reg papers but she insisted that they HAVE to be lurchers :confused: why i dunno but she clearly knows my dogs better than me without seeing them :D

15. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

No need to apologise. I was just pointing out that I did actually say in the original post that it was most liekly a working bred cocker. I am well aware that there are 2 types of cockers and his was definitely a working bred but his words were he is a working dog.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice