Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

There should be a law against it.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by thedogsmother, Jan 4, 2012.

1. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Just over a year ago my lovely Bella came to us, I didnt expect it and to be honest she caused a lot of upset and was totally untrained and out of control. Her former owner "couldnt cope" with her and apparently needed her gone immediately, she threatened to tie her up in the garden and report her a stray, so I took her. Imagine my delight when I find out today that shes now got another dog, a springer puppy no less :mad2:, so does anyone want a springer puppy in about 6-8 weeks :mad5:

Rott lover and Lurcherlad like this.
  2. Cloud&JaysMum

Cloud&JaysMum PetForums Senior

what ever is wrong with these people ..... surely once is bad enough and lesson should have been learnt :mad5::mad5::mad5::mad5::mad5:

3. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

How awful; is it too much to hope that she has learned a lesson from what happened with Bella? :(. I assume that it is :frown2:.

4. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

Same thing here, we took Floyd in for someone who just could not cope with his antics, that was June last year, four months later they got another one, very similar, small Terrier X (same as Floyd) ..... I did tell them I would not take the new dog if they couldn't cope!

Aren't some people just odd - (that's putting it politely):rolleyes:

5. Honey Bee

Honey Bee PetForums VIP

Poor dog. Its awful knowing about it because you just know its going to end in tears. These people never seem to learn. :mad:

6. thedogsmother

Unfortunately Bella wasnt the first 'cast off' dog, this is a pattern, she gets a dog, it becomes 'naughty' and the dog has to go :mad5:. Im still repairing damage that was done to Bella when she was a youngster, shes getting to be a good girl but shes still got a few issues :(. I hope this poor dog has a better life than Bella had. Im absolutely fuming :mad5:

7. terencesmum

terencesmum PetForums VIP

People like that make me so angry. Especially when you put so much into your own dog and you see some scum not caring twopence worth about anything. :mad5::mad5: really gets to me.

8. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

it's like my SIL - in 8 years has had

white GSD
    black/white Lab x Collie
    black Lab x GSD
    white 'Husky' (either very badly bred or Sibe x GSD)

so far longest they've had one is 2.5 years and they gave him up due to a 'misunderstanding' about getting his pet passport sorted (black GSD x) - they had him over 2 years! plenty of time! my bro is in army so they know they can move with very little notice

white gsd was rehomed due to being 'aggressive' when she was pregnant had him pup to 18 months
    collie x was 'too hard to control' had him from 6 months old to a year old
    the black GSD x was also very badly trained and hard to control

so am wondering how long til they find a 'reason' current one is going

*bangs head on desk*

9. thedogsmother

Oh well shes the one who missed out on Bella, shes my problem child but she makes me laugh more than any dog Ive owned. How could you not want this ;)

[​IMG]

10. Hertsgirl

Hertsgirl PetForums Senior

This sort of thing really riles me! Why get a dog if you have no intention of keeping it?! Someone I know does this, she gets a dog, usually a puppy then sells it after a cpl of months! Really annoys me. Those poor dogs deserve SO much better!

11. lozb

lozb PetForums VIP

It's very, very frustrating....
    I saw this pup earlier on and he's GORGEOUS.... deserves the very best (don't they all!).
    I'll keep chatting with her about the pup, see how things go - I know we don't hold out much hope but at least we can keep in the loop....
    And yes, there should be a law against it :mad:

12. choclabwoody

choclabwoody PetForums Member

Hi
    I got my first dog (Woody Choc Lab) beginning of December 2011 and he was 11 months old and a bit of a basket case at times. It makes you wonder how he has been treated by his previous owner/s and that's why he is like he is.

If I get another dog in the future then I'm going to do my homework properly.

13. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

I think these people must blame the dog rather than their own failings to be able to convince themselves it will be any different the next time around.

14. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Because it is not their fault, it is the dog's every time.

And she still hasn't worked out that it must be her, not the dog. A friend of mine was complaining to me that his cocker spaniel was out of control and ruled the house. Then he went on holiday and left the dog with his neighbour and he came back absolutely wonderfully behaved. "He behaved for him," he cries. "Why not for me?"

I told him it was because he didn't have a clue, but I don't think he believed me.

cinnamontoast likes this.
  15. thedogsmother

Well I had to work with the woman today and I was calm and ignored the subject of the new puppy right until she got out her phone to show me piccies of it, then I might have ever so slightly lost it:eek:. I told her lots of things that Ive been holding in for a year and it felt great. Apparently its all ok though because it was a good breeder she got it from, they breed loads of different breeds, they originally wanted a lab but he was out of them so they got a springer, and he kindly brought it halfway and met them in a layby with it, no parents seen and it isnt registered of course, so they sound like nice helpful breeders dont they :mad2:

16. bird

bird PetForums VIP

'fraid all I can say is make a note of a couple of springer rescues and have a word with them that you may be making an emergency call to them in a couple of months. Then print off one of them adverts for the toy dogs that toys r us sell and post it through her door.

Rott lover and cinnamontoast like this.
  17. thedogsmother

The thing is in a couple of months when the dog is suddenly out of control she will be looking to "get rid" of it like she was with Bella and it wont be her fault, there will be some reason she cant keep him thats out of her control, there always has been in the past, apparently Bella was too strong for her :mad:. I told her today what upheaval it had been for us to suddenly have another dog with no warning and she said "well Bella could have gone back to her former home or someone else would have had her" but she told me that nobody would take her and I was to phone the dog warden and report her a stray, so her version of how I got Bella has already warped in her mind to suit her :mad:

18. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Too strong for her? Wonder what she would do with a 12 stone newfie. I absolutely hate that, to be honest, when I read things like "I can't walk him, he's too strong" FFS, even if you can't train him (and it isn't easy with a dog stronger than you) there are so many things on the market to help. It is just a cop out.

Obviously someone who breeds loads of different breeds and meets you in a layby, is the best sort of breeder. Even if she had gone to the place, I doubt she would have thought any different. Sounds like one of those brain dead people who should be donating their organs, instead of walking about:eek:ut:

19. thedogsmother

The vet said Bellas coat condition was probably down to long term dehydration, she tipped bowls over so when we got her we got a big heavy bowl so she could always have water available and couldnt tip it over, its that simple, we also got her a headcollar so I could walk them together, also stunningly simple. It isnt rocket science but like I told her today, what are you going to do with the puppy when you come across a problem like it being strong, there will always be problems with pets, you deal with the problems, you dont ditch the pet and move on :mad:

20. troublestrouble

troublestrouble PetForums Senior

:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

learn from your mistakes people!!!! if you didn't cope with a dog getting another one probably isn't the answer unless you have changed or your circumstances have changed......

you hear of this soooo much and it's just awful

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice