Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

There must be something that will help!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Alatvian, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Alatvian

Alatvian PetForums Newbie

Hello- One of my cats is 15 years old and for the last two years suffered with constant diarreah-an example of how bad it is: we have changed our flooring so it can be easily washed and kept clean- the poor old boy seems to be full of gas and just explodes anywhere and everywhere- He tries to get to his litter trays but rarely makes it in time. We have to bath him regularly. Our vet says he has tried everything he can - It breaks my heart that he is in this state, he is such a sweet old lad and wants a cuddle, but things are so severe that you just cant have him jump up onto your lap.
    The only health problem he has is a thyroid problem, which he has tablets for.
    Please help - someone must be clever enough! I just want him to snuggle up on my lap again.

2. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

Hiya I'm not very clued up on this but have you tried changing his food? There are some excellent sticky threads in the health and nutrition section that may give you an idea what to try and you could try ask Hobbs2004 for further nutrition advice and I have seen a member called Ianthi constantly dole out good advice on the health section.

#2 Gratch, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  3. honeysmummy

honeysmummy PetForums VIP

Ditto....as above ...hope something works for you x

4. Erm! I am sure this is a daft question - but have you taken him to the vet?

5. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Well, first things first:
    - What has your vet tried?
    - What tests were done?
    - What food are you feeding?
    - What food have you tried?

I presume he is hyperthyroid.

- What medication is he on and how well controlled is it?

6. MissyMV6

MissyMV6 PetForums Senior

Have you had any poo samples tested at all ? My boy Louie had bouts of the runs and tests showed he had a parasite in his tummy which was easily treated with antibiotics..He has a sensitive tummy and does better on prescribed food eg Hill "id" or Purina.
    Also you say he has to take meds everyday..could the meds be adding to the problem? It would be worth asking your vet if it is a side effect of the meds.

Hope this advice helps it must be so frustrating for you and your pud

Angie xx

7. tagalong

tagalong PetForums Senior

he needs to see a vet and you need to take a sample of what he produces to be tested to see if he needs antibiotics -steroid will help if it is an imfmammatory bowel syndrome -the other thing the vet can give you is peridale which is a vegetable based granule you add to food to bulk out the faeces which in turn helps regulate them -as cats get older they can develop subacute enteritis and necrotic enteritis -please get to a vet now the sooner you gert it sorted it can be controlled -leave it and the villae in the intestine are destroyed and do not regrow and the cat may become faecolly incontinent-trust me i've lived through 2 cats with this problem and it is awful for the owner and the cat.

8. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

In the short term though, if you want him on your lap, go out and buy puppy pads or human incontenance bed pads. Pop one of those on your lap and snuggle your boy. Then when he has an accident, simply dispose of the pad and get a new one.

They're pretty cheap if you buy in bulk.

9. Alatvian

Alatvian PetForums Newbie

Thanks for so much support everyone! - Some of you have mentioned seeing a vet - this we have been doing since this all started 2 years ago! We have tried dry food/wet food/powders/antibiotics/Vit B1- we have supplied samples , which our vet sent off to a lab to be checked and the results showed that Vinnie carries bacteria which is only dangerous in kittens-nothing has ever been identified as being remotely problematic. I had to suggest to the vet that Vinnie might have a thyroid problem as they put his weight loss down to age! He has regular blood tests to check that the dosage he is having is correct.
    I've been trying to find a cat version of the dog food Nature diet-which is 100% natural - but so far have not found anything 100%.
    Puppy pads are a great idea- I have used newspaper on my lap but the "problem" just runs off the paper.
    So pleased that I found this forum!

10. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

When was the hyperT diagnosed and what medication is Vinnie on?

Two years is an awfully long time to have chronic diarrhea-I'd be very concerned about malabsorbtion of nutrients which this causes-and I'm very surprised your vet hasn't been able to pin down any reason for it! Think you need to look elsewhere for a second opinion at a different practice-now!

When you mentioned the gas my first thought was Inflammatory Bowel Disease and this can be treated successfully with a special diet and some medication. Has Vinnie ever had an ultrasound to rule this out even though it's possible to diagnose this during a routine veterinary examination where the vet can feel intestinal thickening.

What food Vinnie eating at the moment?

11. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

If you have to suggest issues to your vet, it would hear alarm bells ringing. A vet should never assume that weight loss is "just down to age". There are avariety of issues that could be the underlying problem for weightloss, especially in older cats, that require immediate and ongoing treatment.

I'm sure your cat isn't enjoying this problem as they are very clean and dignified animals. I would suggest going to a different vet as soon as possible and start investigations over again to ensure no rock has been uncovered.

12. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Just like Ianthi, my first thought was IBD, which can related to food insensitivities and allergies. Has your vet ever suggested a food elimination diet? Since you are feeding both dry and wet (just like Ianthi, I would like to know what brands of food you are currently feeding), have you ever tried just feeding wet food to see it is the dry food that is aggravating the situation?

Have you ever tried just feeding him plain boiled chicken to see whether that improves the current situation.

But just to clarify. When the vet was taking stool samples, can you remember what they tested for?

13. Abster21

Abster21 PetForums Junior

A definite second, maybe third opinion is needed from different vets! This can't NOT be a problem, imagine if a person had this for 2 years, all types of things would be considered - tumours and allergies for a start.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice