Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

There is no such thing as society - True or False?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by classixuk, May 10, 2010.

?

True or False - There is no such thing as society

1. True

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. False

8 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

I was reading a post on another forum where someone quoted the line (from Margaret Thatcher in the 1980s), "There is no such thing as society" as a reason why they would never vote for anyone but Labour.

I was just wondering how many people are even aware she said that, and if so, do you agree or disagree with her observation.

I guess I should make this into a poll!

Whilst there are many things she did that I think weren't exactly brilliant, I still do agree with her statement that "there is no such thing as society".

Am I alone in thinking that?

:confused:

2. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

there is a society or hierarchy within all species i think, leave a group of people in a house (aka Big Brother), dogs or monkeys in a room they will eventually establish some sort of system in order to coexist with one another :)

3. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Depends on your definition of society.

society

• noun (pl. societies) 1 the aggregate of people living together in a more or less ordered community. 2 a particular community of people living in a country or region, and having shared customs, laws, and organizations. 3 (also high society) people who are fashionable, wealthy, and influential, regarded as a distinct social group. 4 an organization or club formed for a particular purpose or activity. 5 the situation of being in the company of other people

I would assume in relation to our nation they refer to definitions 1 & 2 therefore i would say we every much live in a society.

I do believe that alot of people still have a "social conscience" and a sense of community although this is being eroded which is why something needs to be done about it.

Valanita likes this.
  4. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

Yes, definitions 1 & 2.

But when she said, "There is no such thing as society", she was speaking directly to people who spend their whole life on the dole (through choice) and believe they have a right to do so as "society" will pay for their house, their food, their income etc.

Thatcher said that "there is no such thing as society". All there is, is a collection of hardworking individuals and families who go to work and pay taxes. "Society" does not have any money of it's own to give to people, it is Jenny and Thomas, your neighbours, who paid for your dole...not "society".

I don't see any flawed logic there.

Am I missing something?

5. Valanita

Valanita PetForums VIP

Thank you Rainybow for clarifying that. I was just about to ask the question you put the answer to, so I have voted false, we have to have society to exist together on Earth.

6. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

AAaahhh but that is assuming everyone who needs benefits is a lay about and a sponger and that is just heffer dust.

Assuming i am "Jenny and Thomas" obvioulsy i take issue with my money being spent on Joe Layabout but i have no issue with it being spent on the poor, sick and vulnerable people in our "society". That is what humanity is all about and if it isn't then i am done with it.

It is up to the GOVERNMENT to ensure that my money is well spent by having proper controls in place ;)

If my neighbour comes to the door and asks for a cup of sugar i don't automatically think "why don't you go buy your own sugar you lazy, sponging mare" i think "my neighbour needs a cup of sugar and maybe one day i will need that cup of sugar and i hand it over"

There but for the grace of God go any one of us when it comes to needing to use the social services we are priviledged to have in this country.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice