Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

There are some idiots on the road, and some are no better than murderers.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by kerfuffle, May 1, 2011.

1. kerfuffle

kerfuffle PetForums Senior

OH came home today saying that he almost got into a fight but he saved a cat's life in the process. He was driving along near our residential estate and saw a cat crossing the road on the other side some ways in front, and this car that was pootling along at a slowish pace initially started speeding up. He realised that the car's driver intended to run the cat over and he then drove into the other lane and parked there, basically had a face-off with the speeding car. The speeding car slammed on their brakes and cat ran off.

OH calmly drove back to his lane and when he passed by the other car, the other car's driver, who is around 18-19 years old, was yelling obscenities about OH having a deathwish and how he's going to beat him up, and OH just replied, "And you're so big because you wanted to run over an innocent animal? After the day I had, I'm quite happy to break your f****** neck for you if that's what you're after."

It makes me sick in the stomach thinking that some RTA's aren't "accidents" at all, more like youngsters wanting to "have a bit of fun", so near where I live too. I'm never letting my cat out, ever.

2. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

dunno what to even say :( some people just have no brains, oxgen theifs :(

3. KittehNom

KittehNom PetForums Member

The more I read things like this the more I know I am making the right decision to keep my cats indoors :(

Sad days...

x

4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

We can only hope that what "Goes around,Comes around".If there is any justice in this sad world,those who take pleasure in inflicting pain and misery on other creatures will one day suffer for their actions :mad:

5. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

There should be more people like your OH in the world. Good on him for protecting the wee beastie!

6. Lulus mum

Lulus mum PetForums VIP

Give your O.H. a big hug from all of us-wish there were more people prepared to do what he did.You should be very proud of him

All my 3 cats are indoor ones-does anyone need a better reason than this to keep their cats in
    What a sick world we live in-!!!!
    Maureen

7. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Bless him! He's a good un, so keep tight hold ;)

I'll never forget the look on a woman's face who I'd just seen run over a cat.

There she was in her brand new BMW driving down our country lane. The cat ran out in front of her, she had time to stop but didn't. When she hit the poor thing I remember seeing her stop just ahead, open her window and look down the side of her car. She then said "The little bas*@rd better not have dented my car" ... she then drove off :( I spent 30 minutes trying to get hold of the poor thing. It's leg was dragging behind it and it was panting hard.

In the end I had to call the vet out to get hold of him (as I was frightened of hurting him more). He went on to survive thankfully, but he was minus one of his back legs after that! What was worse is that the owners came banging on our door because we had got the vet out ... said we should have just left him to crawl off somewhere ... :mad:

8. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Not sure which of these to F*** Wits I despise more :mad:

9. CandyApocalypse

CandyApocalypse PetForums Member

I once went on a date with a guy when I was a teenager, he was driving us back from the cinema when a cat ran out in front of the road, and he swerved to try and hit it, muttering something about vermin. I grabbed the wheel and we missed the cat. He then went off on a screaming rage about how I could have killed us etc. I just got out of the car and walked home.

I just can't believe some people, good for your OH

10. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

my bro is a taxi driver and stops for animals on a regular basis... a couple of contrasting customers

one tried to claim a 2 second stop had increased his fare, went in a screaming rage about how his journey was important and he shouldn't have to pay to wait for some 'f-ing' animal etc etc

the other

my bro ended up sat in road for about 5 mins as a large family of ducks with ducklings made their way across the road. They would *not* hurry even when he revved... now a 5 min wait added about 60p to the fare which he deducted at the other end as not her fault they had duck delays... the woman patted him on the hand, slipped him her number and a £3 tip!

his gf wasn't too amused by his duckly seduction :p

11. kunzy

kunzy Guest

Well said. :thumbup:

12. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Well done, give him a big kiss.

When i see some poor animal on the road, not only cats, i look and think there is no way that is an accident, just from seeing where they are

So def big thumbs up from me x

13. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

Love the above post!

I can't believe what swines there are in the human race! Who would deliberately try to run over a family pet? They're the real animals. Should have been neutered when they were 6 months old :rolleyes:

If an animal runs out in front of me, there isn't even a thought process. I automatically break!

14. BSH

BSH PetForums Senior

On holiday in Cornwall this week I had to stop the car completely for two cats on different occassions who were sauntering up the middle of country lanes without a care in the world (it is more relaxed down there).

At the time I thought to myself that some drivers would not stop and we must not kid ourselves, there are some vile individuals out there who would happily run over animals without a second thought.

15. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

I get Oh to stop or swerve to avoid pheasants lots on country roads :)

16. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

We are both Taxi Drivers and have often found injured animals left on the road to die. We have managed to save a few and now carry a first aid kit and a small fold away cage just in case.
    Never had a problem with any customers when we have had to stop. One customer held an injured hedgehog for me until we could get it to a wildlife hospital.
    It really sickens me the way people drive. They have no respect for animals.
    We are now coming into May and there will be a lot of baby animals and birds a round especially early in the mornings it is so up setting seeing them dead on the road when you know that most of the time these deaths can be avoided. I drive a round 60,000 miles per year( for the last 16 years) and maybe I have been lucky, the only incident was a pheasant and that took me days to get over it:cryin:

Lulus mum and buffie like this.
  17. catzz

catzz PetForums Senior

A boy who I teach very nearly got himself into trouble he couldn't handle recently. He was walking to school when he saw a car slow down for a cat who was sitting in the middle of the road. When the cat didn't move the car just ran over it and drove off. THe boy chased the car banging on the windows and shouting but the car wouldn't stop. Probably a good thing considering the boy was only 15. Fortunately the cat did manage to get away with being clipped rather than fully run over and there was a local neighbour who saw what happened who was able to help the boy with the cat and took it to the vet. I think the cat survived fortunately.

18. Lulus mum

Lulus mum PetForums VIP

What are we teaching the young of today????????
    Life is cheap-especially animal life
    Well done that poor boy-that will probably stay with him for the rest of his life
    Makes me ashamed sometimes to call myself a human being
    maureen

19. Smitherooney

Smitherooney PetForums Member

You must be so very proud of your OH. Give him loads of hugs and kisses from me. Well done for being a normal human being. Wish more people were like that.
    I had a similar situation when I was out with my now ex-husband in the car. A cat decided to walk out into the road and he was making no effort to slow the car down so I grabbed the handbrake. My god did he go at me! We never got to go anywhere except home for me and then he went out himself, selfish ***** ! I would do the same now & like some of the other posts I don't think I just act - brake, swerf, whatever it takes - sorry but I do.

20. Kitty_pig

Kitty_pig PetForums VIP

bless your OH for doing that. Some people are just so cruel :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice