Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Therapy Animals.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Miss.PuddyCat, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

Ok its been a long struggle but Im finally going to College.

My long term goal is to work with kids with special needs. I have done volunteering and paid work with special needs kids for two to three years.

Anyways I was trying to think of how I can get more experience and make myself more appealing to hopeful employers once I graduate.

And I thought what about having a therapy animal dog or cat, not sure whats it called but when you can go visit people in old folks home or special needs people with your dog etc

Anyone know what Im talking about :confused:

2. danielled

danielled Guest

PAT (pets as therapy) is that what you mean.

3. Miss.PuddyCat

Thank you!

I thought it was that but part me was like nahhh not that :confused: :)

4. danielled

danielled Guest

Your welcome. I will help you find some info on it if you want.

5. Miss.PuddyCat

Yeh that would be great, may be different here but any info on the idea of it is good.

6. danielled

danielled Guest

Will see what ICANN do will pm you with anything I find ok.

7. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Maybe ask these guys about the requirements:
    Therapeutic Paws of Canada (TPOC)

It's such a worthwhile thing to do I keep meaning to get Buster assessed but I haven't got the time

8. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

You have to put your dog through a special assesment before it can be a PAT dog. One of the trainers at classes dog is, Was thinking of doing it with one of mine when she is a bit older, we didnt go into great detail, but I do know they have to pass an assesment test.

9. danielled

danielled Guest

Beat me to it same link as the one I found lol.

10. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

The assessment looks pretty straight forward walk well on a lead, interact with people calmly, be dog friendly, allow hugs etc. Same sort of thing PAT dogs have as well.

If you doubt what these animals can do the therapy dog of the year award at Crufts had me in tears to hear the impact they can have on people

11. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

Nothing worthwhile to add here just that it's great to see someone with the goal of working with special needs kids :) My little brother (I say little, he just turned 21) is special needs and could of used someone that was passionate about the work when he was at school. He has severe learning difficulties though he can read and write some words (only because me and my sister taught him) and he's at about the level of a 4/5 year old. Basically the school mollycoddled even those with the potential to learn and it would of been nice if someone could have guided them gently along the road. As my little brother he was a pain in the bum, as siblings are (though he was a darling outside, the little git) so me and my sisters spent more time fighting with him than teaching him which I truly regret. Hopefully you can make a good impact on those you intend to work with!

12. Miss.PuddyCat

Thank you
    :)

Thank you for the link Ill keep it in my notes

I knew there were tests to which your dog had to be put through to be able to become a PAT dog. I dont think Ill be doing it with the pup my mom and I get mainly cause itll be both mine and my moms dog and I just want to enjoy her as ours but its something I want to do with my own dog ( I wanting my own first dog to be an English Springer spaniel :001_wub: )

Sounds what your all around dog should behave like :)

Was it on tv at all? Would be interesting to watch.

I really enjoyed working with the kids. Each of them had their own personality it was great! The oldest kid I worked with was 18 at the time. I dont have enough confidence to deal with older special needs adults yet.

I have a learning disability myself and I hated being taken out of class to go to my work else where, or have my work cut in half even though I wanted to try like everyone else. In the end I started refusing help.

I want to help kids have a postive outlook on school because when you have a negative out look you tend to miss out on alot.

I bet your brother does appreciate how you and your sister helped him :)

On student I worked with had the thinking level of 4 to 5 year old. He was Autistic and at the age of 12 or so I believe was when he first learned some words.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice