Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Therapeautic Dog Coat/Bioflow Collar - Any Good?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Cleo38, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Has anyone ever used either of these (or similar) with their dog?

Toby is severely lame at the moment due to his hip dysplasia & arthritis. He's having his new x-rays sent off to the orthopedic surgeon to compare to those taken in March so I'm currently waiting for advice on what can be done.

In the mean time I am booking him a course of massages & the lady I have just spoken to will bring a Back On Track therapeutic coat that I can borrow for a while & a Bioflow collar. Just wondered if anyone had any success with these things or could recommend anything similar.

2. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Yes my sister has been using Bioflow collars on her elderly dogs for many years.

She swears by them.

#2 Twiggy, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  3. yeuxvert

yeuxvert PetForums Senior

Yes I have used a Bioflow Collar for Jamie but to be honest I used it before there were any problems and then it broke. However I've used one and it was absolutely brilliant. Jamie (Border Collie x (we think with a Springer)) was hyperactive until he was 14 when he started getting a bit creaky and we gave him green lipped muscle extract which definitely had a good effect on him. I'd definitely give the Bioflow a try :)

4. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Mobile Bones joint supplement may be another thing worth a look. Lots of good feed back here regarding it if you do a search;):D

5. Kc Mac

Kc Mac PetForums Senior

Kc wears a Bioflow collar :)

I know it helps her :D. She had a few weeks without it whilst waiting for a replacement :eek:

6. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Thanks for the replies. The therapist said I could borrow one of her collars (it's too small for her current dogs) to see how I get on with it.

At the moment he is so bad that I would buy anything if there was a chance it would help :(

7. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

My friend has used the Bioflow collars on her old dogs and swears by them too, in fact so much so as she has problems with her elbow and shoulder she bought the human wrist equivalent and says it works on her too.

Second the Mobile Bones too, Heidis mum mentioned as well have Kobi on it and its made a difference to him deffinately with his re-occuring lameness.
    Dogs Joint Supplement | Glucosamine for Dogs | Mobile Bones | Pooch and Mutt

Think sixstars had good results with hip dysplasia with it too.

There is also these suggestions from the Natural medicines veterinary centre
    arthritis/joint problems

Animate: a powder containing a natural source of Chrondroitin with Vitamin C especially useful in the early stages of arthritis.

Can B: a supplement containing minerals and vitamins (especially Boron) which help to strengthen bones and joints

Cortavet: a supplement containing Chondroitin, Glucosamine Hyaluronic acid and MSM, chondroprotective agents which promote cartilage formation and joint lubrication.

Magnopulse magnetic collar: the magnetic field of this collar stimulates blood flow to diseased tissue and has an anti inflammatory and pain killing effect.

Yarrow: a combination of herbs that have traditionally been used to relieve inflammation and stiffness of joints.

Animal Magic Vitamin C & Royal Jelly: helps strengthen weakened bones and joints.

Arthotabs: a supplement containing green lipped mussel and other nutrients that nourish diseased joints and help relieve symptoms of arthritis.

Cartamine: a Glucosamine based supplement that helps repair damaged cartilage in arthritic joints.

Cod Liver Oil: a fish oil supplement proven to improve joint mobility.

Glycovetriflex: a supplement containing green lipped mussel and other natural remedies that improve strength and flexibility of arthritic joints.

Dr Reckeweg R 73: a homoeopathic combination for arthritis, especially of the back, shoulders, hips and knees

http://www.naturalmedicinecentre.co.uk/

8. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Wonkie has a Bioflow collar I only put it on him at night because he's not allowed a collar when out :rolleyes: & it makes a difference, he also has the Hotter Dog Jumper (equafleece thingy) which is great to but Im thinking of getting one that goes on his back legs as well as the front so it keeps his hips warm better but at the mo he wears this one after a walk or hydro, although its starting to get alot colder here :skep: so might have to wear it when out as well.

9. Dally Banjo

Ment to say Accupunture if you can get it for him thats brilliant :D

10. L/C

L/C PetForums VIP

I've just bought the back on track hock support for Gypsy and it seems to be helping so far. Whether that's because it actually does reduce inflammation or just the support aspect that's I don't know.

Whereabouts is his arthritis worst? Is it the hip or elsewhere? I know Back on Track also do a back brace and a bed as well.

11. Dally Banjo

Nerver heard to this off this :eek: :eek: :blink: any link :)

12. L/C

L/C PetForums VIP

Back Brace Link

The store I got Gypsy's hock wrap from - no back brace but they do sell the pet mattress.

I don't know if the back brace is safe to use and I would think that it is something that needs to be discussed with your vet. I had an in-depth consultation with my vet before I got the hock wrap.

13. Dally Banjo

Thanks for that I'l have a good look later :) that back brace may be good for my mates Wonkie Spot :cool: we'l see what the bones vet recons first though.

14. L/C

L/C PetForums VIP

Oh that would be good! I'm a bit desperate to keep madam off painkillers for as long as possible (she's only 5) so I've been googling and researching everything.

15. Dally Banjo

Its not fare is it :(

Sorry for highjacking OP :eek: :D x

16. L/C

L/C PetForums VIP

In Gypsy's case it really, really isn't as she broke her leg when she was racing and if the trainer/owner had notified the rescue that she had broken it she could have been treated properly and rested and then it never needed to have become as bad as it is. :(

Sorry Cleo38 - I hope you've got something that can help Toby.

17. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

He had a cruciate op on his left leg in March when the xrays showed he had hip dysplasia in the right joint. He healed really well since his op but then last week he suddenly went really lame on his right leg. The following day he was completely fine but then it went again on Monday & has been bad since.

It looks really bad, his whole leg hangs inwards & when he walks his hip sort of swings, I feel so sorry for him :(

I have ordered a collar, I don't usually have faith in things like that butI will try anything & alot of people have found positive results in their dogs so I will give it a go.

Thanks for all the replies & don't worry DB you didn't hijack the thread!!!

That's something I usually do though :eek:

18. Dally Banjo

I hope the collar does Toby some good :) Wonkie was doing realy well untill it got a bit colder so now he's back on the Tramadol :( at least the vet gave us his Gabapentin in 300mg pills instead of getting 6 x 100mg ones into him plus the other stuff :crazy:

19. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I think that could also be a contributory factor & since it has been colder he hasn't been swimming which he was doing pretty much every day for the past few months.

Poor Tubbs, I hate seeing him like this :(

20. L/C

L/C PetForums VIP

The cold has made my monster stiffer and more grumpy as well. :(

Do you have anywhere that you could take Toby to hydro? I'm going to start this with Gypsy (hopefully) in the next couple of weeks in an attempt to bring some more mobility back to her joints.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice