Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Then and now...

Discussion in 'Horse Tack and Equipment' started by Cappuccino, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Cappuccino

Cappuccino PetForums Junior

I used to have a pony waaayy back in the long ago days of my teenaged years, I sold her over 20 years ago and in 2009 I finally was able to buy another horse.

I'm just stunned at the array of equipment available these days! My old pony had a green canvas NZ rug, and a quilted stable rug that I made myself from an old sleeping bag - otherwise I'd have had to buy a jute stable rug. In colder weather I'd put a blanket under the quilt. She had a simple eggbutt snaffle and cavesson noseband and initially a really old flat, half panelled saddle (I did buy a nice new GP saddle a few weeks later).
    She was fed oats, barley, bran and sugar beet twice a day, and a scoop of pony nuts when she was doing extra work, or it was wintertime.

How different things are now in the 21st century! NZ canvas rugs have been replaced with turnout rugs, that come in different weights, and even with a neck cover!
    I was ahead of my time making that quilted stable rug, they seem to be all the rage, as are fleeces. Again in varying weights and with neck covers.
    The old roller strap to hold the rug in place has long gone and rugs now have these cross over belly straps (I think I prefer the roller TBH!)

Girths were string, linen or if you were rich, leather, Now there's a multitude of fabrics and styles...

You can get saddles that don't have trees now! Synthetic saddles (which had only just come on the market way back when) are no longer a laughable novelty, but good quality tack, and not bright blue either!

I was bewildered when I was buying new gear for my new horse (he has about a dozen different rugs, and I'm building a collection of saddles and bridles)

Body protectors, air jackets for riders?! Who'd have thought they'd be so commonplace.

Goodness knows what's happened to feed, it looks like museli these days! And bran is a complete no no (?).

The only thing that doesn't seem to have changed is shoeing!

2. emmaluvsmango

emmaluvsmango PetForums Junior

Haha I love this post it made me chuckle. It is amazing to think of all the wonderful choice we have, lets hope the varriety continues to grow.

Infact even shoeing has changed with many good farriers embracing barefoot, and barefoot trimmers becoming ever more popular

3. Cappuccino

yeah my horse only has front shoes on, I'm considering going barefoot with him - I never go out on the roads (too much of a scardy cat!)

4. emmaluvsmango

emmaluvsmango PetForums Junior

Oooo go for it :) my boy is bafefoot we do roads and allsorts of terrain. Although he's had a break from hacking because ive had to have an op and i don't feel comfortable with his part loaner hacking him out, so im going to have to condition his feet back to the strength they were. Think I may get him some boots ordered in preperation, 11 days until im aloud to ride wooop!

5. Cappuccino

I'll have to find out if the farrier does barefoot trimming, I often think it's a bit dim having just his front feet shod... save me a few pennies as well!

6. Leam1307

Leam1307 PetForums Senior

This made me laugh, we were talking about it a few days ago at the yard, before it used to be a snaffle, 3ring gag or a pelham.. now you get about 40 variations of those and lots inbetween too. and rugs omg the choices!! i think i liked it better when it was just a NZ rug that you put a duvet under.

And dont get me started on feed!! we used to just feed chalf and pasture mix.. a few years ago when i got back into horses i asked for a bag of chalf from the tack shop and was answered with "which kind" :eek: :eek: i felt very stupid!! everything has changed so much over the years, even the jodhpurs and boots.. and hats... its scary!!!

7. crumpet

crumpet PetForums Junior

my my how the times have changed

8. crumpet

crumpet PetForums Junior

what is the price comparison

9. Pasuded

Pasuded Banned

Horses are for life.

My wife rides my great-grandfather’s Paint/Pinto and she wears TuffRider Ladies Starter Pull On Breeches. I ride his Mustang and wear Tough-1 Suede Leather Western Show Chaps. I also wear Heritage Extreme Winter Gloves. I wear a Down Under Australian Oilskin Drove, too. Both horses are fed alfalfa, cracked wheat, cracked barley and rolled oats.

Alfalfa, cracked wheat, cracked barley and rolled oats is their staple diet. When my wife rides she wears an On Course Ladies Ashby Show Coat. My daughter rides his Appaloosa/Quarterhorse Mix and she wears Wrangler Q-Baby Jeans. My younger daughter rides his Warmblood and wears Hobby Horse Ladies PMS Split Leather Chaps. We have a High Country 3-Step Mountain Block for my younger daughter to be able to get up on the Warmblood.

My older daughter does pole bending, so we have bought High Country Complete Pole Bending Set.

My wife does jumping and has purchased Horsemans Pride Jump Blocks Set of 2. I do roping and have a Mustang Steer Head with Rods.

I ride with a Down Under Kimberley Synthetic Australian Saddle. I always wear my Down Under Australian Oilskin Drover, too. I use an Australian Shaped Trail Rider Comfort Pad.

The Appaloosa/Quarter horse Mix is fed chopped sun-cured alfalfa hay and molasses. The Warm blood is fed alfalfa crumbles, cane molasses and sodium propionate.

All the horses get a mixture of chopped alfalfa, chopped oat hay, wheat mill run and salt once a week. I wish I ate that good. :(

10. PetParadiseGifts

PetParadiseGifts PetForums Junior

Even more things to spend money on haha

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice