Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The Yearly Booster

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by bassetsandbeyond, Aug 8, 2009.

1. bassetsandbeyond

bassetsandbeyond PetForums Senior

Does anyone get there dog/s there yearly booster at the vets?

There's been soo much write up on this in the Dog World saying there's no need and its causing alot of problems to health etc.....it makes me worried

Your thoughts on this please

2. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

I had loads of info sent to me last year about the dangers of the vaccinations but i would rather be safe then sorry and get them done

3. bassetsandbeyond

we do get them done, just had Dinky done yesterday;)

then my nan had a go at us saying she doesn't need it, alot of dogs are dying because of it etc

4. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

This is a difficult one,we used to titre test however we don't do this any more,again it seems pretty pointless as it doesn't measure immunity.

Mine had puppy vaccinations and have not been vaccinated since.
    It is down to the owner to make an informed decision.

5. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

I did read that a lot of dogs especially retrievers were getting bad side affects but i know alot of people with dogs and they all have theirs vaccinated and they are all ok

6. Vikegirl

Vikegirl PetForums Junior

I thought the boarding kennels refused to take animals unless they were vaccinated annually? :confused: No experience with dogs, but our cat gets his booster every year.

7. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

My OH's collie cross is 12 years old and hasn't had a jab since she was a pup. She's never had any problems and is forever rolling around in muck, running through dirty water etc.

My 9 month girl has had her puppy jabs but I think I will continue to get her booster. I know it's meant to be a con but I don't want to risk it.

8. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

having seen dogs die from parvo and working in an enviroment where even if i am carful their may be an occasion I go home carrying something infectious i will have my dog boosted every year.
    I could have him blood tested to see what his immune leval is and vax or leave depending on results.
    But as he has never had an adverse reaction to any vaccine i am happy to continue to annualy boost.

9. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Yes, mine do - they don't have all vaccs every year because some last more than one year. Mine also have KC vaccine. As I travel and compete my dogs may possibly be more at risk simply because of the wide area we travel and number of dogs we come into contact with. Personally I think the benefits outweigh the risk.

sequeena - it's not a con - vaccination works very well, the concern is with the effects of overvaccination. A lot of vets (mine included) do not give all boosters every year, but perhaps some do. It's also worth remembering that for vaccination to keep these diseases at bay requires approx 90% of the population to be vaccinated (and this applies to humans too). If everyone stopped vaccinating the prevalanceof these diseases in the environment would rise considerably.

#9 Dundee, Aug 8, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  10. nickmcmechan

nickmcmechan PetForums Member

i kind of see this like the mmr jag debate for humans

a lot of scaremongering research came out, which, albeit true, did not truly represent benefit v cost and we are now looking in the face of a potential measles epidemic

to me, its the same with dogs, my opinion is that it is irresponsible to not vaccinate or boost; even if an infection were to pass over your dog it may be transmitted to another

11. hobo99

hobo99 PetForums VIP

I think one of the reasons they have to keep having booster jabs is that boarding kennels will not take them without proof of the jabs. :(
    So what can we do if our dogs go into kennels once or twice a year, its a bit like being blackmailed to have them done. :mad:

12. nickmcmechan

nickmcmechan PetForums Member

which is why so many people object to haveing them done i think - nanny state stuff!

however, the health of the dog comes first before our emotions?

13. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Why would people object to something that is in the best interest of thier dog and dogs in general. Not everyone uses kennels anyway, so there are ways round that. I think the valid objections are that we may be overvaccinating them and that they don't need vaccinations done annually.

14. hobo99

hobo99 PetForums VIP

Those are my objections, but i was saying if your dog goes into kennels you have to have the jabs done even if you consider they dont need them, and would be better off not having them.

15. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

I keep saying I'm going to get my pair titre tested but I never do get around to it, Abby was done this year, Arran's was due a couple of months ago but I like to wait a bit over the year before I get it done again.

Terri

16. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I have both mine vaccinated every year, mainly because we occasionally use kennels - I would be inclined to research having them done every 2 years otherwise.

17. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Some kennels will take them now and its steadily rising, as kennel owners like dog owners now know that there is no need for the booster every year they still need to see the vacs history.

18. bassetsandbeyond

Since our 1st ever dog we've always had them done every year....apart from one year as nan said they don't need it.....

and guess what!! that year mums Poodle caught Parvo...after a few weeks she of trauma she survived....

So mum always gets mutleys boostered every year until a certain age.....

Pooch hasn't had one since she was 10.....and she's coming 17 in October.:D

19. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Apart from the kennels thing, I think some insurance companies require annual vaccination, or you risk invalidating the policy - for any condition, not just those vaccinated against.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice