Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The wolf in your home

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nina, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

OK guys, I think this post is long overdue. Firstly, dogs are NOT babies or children. It is generally excepted that they have evolved from the wolf and both have the exact amount of chromosomes 78.

It is therefore imperative that people STOP seeing their four legged friends as a child substitute. There has been many physical, physiological and behavioural changes in the process of domestication. Through man's manipulation we have seen Wolfhounds, Deerhounds and since we were keen to welcome dogs into our homes, so the toy breeds were formed. Behaviourally however, the dog continues to display many of their ancestors traits, despite us altering them drastically to suit our demands.

The majority of behavioural problems stem from man treating these beautiful animals as children. You only have to thumb through doggie related websites to see jump suits, ribbons, raa raa skirts and other paraphernalia to see how ridiculous we have become!

The other day I was out walking when I spied a little Yorkshire Terrier being pushed in a pram. Far from looking delighted, it seemed embarrassed and its eyes looked longingly at the ground beneath him.

On a personal level my resent dogs are kept inside. However, with every opportunity my GSD's would be out in the garden, feeling the sun on their backs and the wind through their coats. When hearing wolf song, their ears will prick as though listening to a far away memory.

Perhaps next time, you bend down to tell little Rover what a scrummy chummy their little pooch is, and ask them when they would like to go for walkies, or if they would like a little bicky with their tea, you will remember the wolf sharing your living room.

1 person likes this.
  2. claire

claire Guest

Well said!!

3. Fade to Grey

Fade to Grey PetForums VIP

Very well said.
    most of the dogs who're out of control is due to this fact no doubt.

4. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

In view of my previous thread being closed because of mud throwing, it seemed the prudent thing to do.

If only people would realise the above, it would certainly see a marked decrease in the need for rescue shelters, hopefully, dogs would not develop anxiety problems, and to be honest, I would be happy to see these silly fancy dress shops was dogs go out of business. I would point out however, that this excludes coats, since for some breeds and medical conditions, they are a must.

5. claire

claire Guest

I agree a dog doesnt need to be dressed up in costumes they are after all aminals. As for your previous thread being closed i was partly to blame sorry

6. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Claire, no worries. Threads invariably go off thread, and at times I know that peoples points can be taken out of context.

I felt it important to emphasise the point about dogs being animals, reminded us of their roots, and the fact that they rely on US to be pack leaders, not the other way around.

If only life were that simple!

7. carol

carol PetForums VIP

we got wolves howling on the pc mine love to join in, a far off memory of things long passed.

8. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Absolutely. All my GSD's have reacted to wolf song.

Nothing like hearing the real thing however, it is really the most magical sound.

9. Fade to Grey

Fade to Grey PetForums VIP

i think howling is great :)

in reference to the dressign up part, the other day i saw a westie and it had pink highlights, i felt sorry for the thing, it even had a blooming tutu on

10. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

And so I rest my case!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice