Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The woes and wins of fish keeping

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by ellenlouisepascoe, May 29, 2017.

1. ellenlouisepascoe

ellenlouisepascoe PetForums VIP

When you have something go wrong it is very easy to remember why you got out of the hobby!

Dovahkiin ( the betta I have had the longest ) has somehow contracted Velvet. I'm not sure from where... his aquarium was brand spanking new. The filter that went in it is the filter that has followed him from tank to tank and never seen another fish. His plants are all from his old aquarium apart from two " in vitro" plants I bought online ( grown in jelly ) so I am honestly at a loss, unless he's been harbouring it for months without showing symptoms. I am treating him with darkness and paraguard , I think I just need to accept he is a sickly fish and accept our lot

20170526_123951.jpg

I have recently invested in an RO / HMA filter which will hopefully be ready to pick up this coming weekend. I had some testing done on my water and he was unable to get a reading from how hard it was. Given I seem to have a lot of fin issues with my betta I thought it was worth the investment, I also want to keep discus in the future so I will need one regardless. I am far too excited for my new toy to arrive!

My pair of apistos fell apart, the female suddenly got extremely aggressive towards the male and attacked him , he died a couple of days later and I decided to rehome her as I have enough aggressive fish to keep without having an aggressive one in a "community" tank, currently that tank has a small shoal of neon tetras in keeping the cycle going however I have a rather BIG surprise hopefully arriving in the next couple of weeks.

Venom and Carnage are doing extremely well, Carnage is so adorable and such a personable fish

20170524_231204.jpg

Venom is such a greedy but funny fish

20170526_125019.jpg

Ragnar my nephews betta is suffering the effects of hard water and his poor tail is a mess, however it is interesting to see that he is almost now all blue when he was bought as mostly white. When I have my RO unit I pray his beautiful tail grows back properly.

20170524_231441.jpg

My goldfish are off into a family members pond in 2 weeks, that will leave me with an empty 160 which I can't decide whether to fully shut down or convert into something else. I have toyed with the idea of a female betta sorority or perhaps moving my community tank downstairs into it. It would need an upgraded light as the light will not be good enough to grow plants.

I have also been helping my Mam with her tank quite a lot she recently got a pair of yellow rabbit snails and woke up to this little surprise on Saturday, they are so cute! I wish I had tanks suitable for them

20170526_203901.jpg

magpie, MontyMaude and stuaz like this.
  2. stuaz

stuaz PetForums VIP

Venom looks stunning and I love the floating plants, makes the tanks look awesome.

I think I may get myself a "betta only" tank at some point once I finish my community tank (Which i have recently added a Betta too).

3. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear your Betta is poorly. It is possible that his original water contained the parasites and he has had the disease at a very low / undetectable level for a while but something has stressed him, causing the outbreak.

I hope you manage to get him back to normal soon.

Apistos can be little s#ds. One of my males bullied another male to death (I thought he was a female) before I could rescue him though the pair got on OK with the occasional fight.

Looking forward to finding out what the big surprise is :)

Venom and Carnage sound lovely. Love their names.

The RO water should help. I used to buy several gallons from the local fish store as my water is liquid chalk. When they closed I decided to just go with species that seemed to do OK in it as although it wasn't expensive it was a hassle collecting it every week. It would have been easier to do it at home but I couldn't afford to at the time.

Cute snails :)

4. ellenlouisepascoe

I think that is highly likely @kittih he has always been a sickly fish and is prone to catching everything, it was only a couple of months ago I found him almost dead and brought him round. I am just hoping and praying I haven't inadvertently spread it to another tank upstairs and I have been sterilising all my fish equipment in the bath tub and keeping a close eye on the other tanks for any symptoms, I was tempted to treat them for it regardless but I am against giving meds unless necessary so we will see. I am not concerned about the tanks downstairs as when I feed I do downstairs first before upstairs, my worry is I've moved it from tank to tank on my hands as I often put my hand into the water to target feed them with a pipette.

I am staying away from Apsitos and other dwarf cichlids for now! I have my GBR's who are doing well I will not upset any balance! I think my RO unit will make my fish keeping a lot more hassle free and enjoyable!

5. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I agree, I wouldn't treat the other tanks just in case. It tends to only be a problem if the fish get stressed. If the RO improves the water conditions then you shouldn't have a problem.

Given jes always been sickly he was likely already infected. I picked up a particularly nasty case of something I never conclusively identified in my tank with a bunch of platies, even though they were quarantined. No matter what I do it still seems to affect live bearers added to the tank so I have given up keeping them.

You are right with the woes and wins. When things are going well and the fish are happy and healthy it is great but when something goes wrong it is very stressful.

I have had my tropical tank for 14 years and have kept fish since I was about 10 and there have been several highs and lows in that time.

ellenlouisepascoe likes this.
  6. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Sorry you've been having some problems, it's horrible when things go wrong. How is Dovahkiin doing?

7. ellenlouisepascoe

He's still very ill :( he's not ate the last couple of days and is losing colour. I'll give him a couple more days to see if he improves , if he deteriorates it may be kinder to euthanize :(

8. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Oh no, I'm sorry :( Do you think your hard water has anything to do with his issues too? I take it bettas are soft water fish, I can't remember off the top of my head.
    I hope he pulls through.

9. ellenlouisepascoe

Yes they are however my others aren't as sickly as he is , I think it's just bad breeding he was £7 from a local shop. My ro filter came today so I'll be slowly switching over to RO water

kittih likes this.
  10. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I am sorry to hear things are no better with your fishy. :-(

Inbreeding and poor breeding is rife in the captive bred fish trade so I think a lot of fish live shorter lives as a result. It is hard to know where to go to guarantee getting well bred fish.

I have managed to breed several of my fish and have exchanged them at my local fish store for credit. I have no idea whether the original pair(s) I purchased were related in any way. If the next person to come along to the place I gave my young fish to and buys two fish from the tank that end up being siblings and breeds them the issue can perpetuate.

Commercial breeders may also be breeding inbred fish or those of poor health. Add transport to a different country, changes of water, and stress of transport to the purchaser's home then if the fish isn't robust then they can get ill over time much quicker than a healthy specimen. I have always struggled to get healthy mollies and keep them for a long time. :-(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice