Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

the wild rover returns

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by considerthis, Sep 8, 2013.

1. considerthis

considerthis PetForums Member

So we're out on our local stomping ground and a familiar face joins us. I feel soo bad for this poor guy. They first time we met he was roving around no road sense but all in all very social. After he joined us for our walk I hung about waiting for his owner to catch up. Half an hour later, still no one I asked everybody on this hill and nothing.I called him over I Assumed he was as good with people so this next bit I blame myself. I took hold of his tag so I could see the phone number. He turned and bit my hand luckily only catching two of my fingers. I got hold of his collar in my free hand and pulled him off before shoving him away a few feet, I rung the number and called his owners and they said, 'oh yeah, my daughter's friend always leaves the gate open and he takes himself off.' so I say we'll he is here now do you want my address so you can come get him (I didn't mention the bite) and this is honestly the reply I got. 'nah we'll just pop down later and see if we see him.' I hung up. The little guy did come over and looked quite scared. Then he saw some other people walking and went to walk with them. I see him sporadically roaming. About a month later I see him on a lead, he somehow slipped it and when his owner reached for him he bit. The owner punched, kicked spat and swung his dog around on the lead, like literally several feet off the floor, I called the rspca straight away, but because I could only provide the dogs name and the phone number I dialled I was told it was not enough and they were sorry but couldn't do anything. And today I see him limping, not too badly but obviously something isn't right, he came over warily then joined us for 10 before toddling off down the street. There must be something I can do for him!! Can anyone please advise me?!? I'd feel sick if one of mine was out roaming the streets alone with no road sense, as I'm sure we all would. Sorry it's so long but didn't want to leave anything out.

2. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Can you report all this to the dog warden? They should go round and speak to the owners.

3. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Take the dog every time you see it, to the dog warden. As there is a number and it obviously works - every time you find the dog straying, the wardens take it in, the owners then have to pay a cost for him being kennelled and having to look after him.

That should stop the straying issue. But if the RSPCA won't look into the behaviour then there's not a lot that can be done. They really are useless sometimes.

4. considerthis

Honestly I have no idea who our dog Warden is or where they are stationed I have never met One round here. I have tried to ring the number in the phone book and keep getting told its too far or not their area. Plus I wouldn't dare try to put a lead on him and he has no recall, as he just roams. So I can't keep him for very long. I really feel stuck, I know he's not my dog but still...

5. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Take the dog in, (use a slip lead then u don't have to grab his collar) and call the dog warden (here, you reach him via the local council/environmental officer). They should collect the dog, and take to local kennels (or council pound). Or contact local police station, tell them the owner is refusing to collect the dog.

Here it is £80 release fee.

6. considerthis

Yes. That's it why didn't I think of a slip lead. I will have to get one then I don't have to make any contact, I can tell he's not a bad guy, and seeing his owner hurting him cemented that he thought I was probably about to do the same when I held his collar, I'm still wary thou lol. Yep I'll try and have both of these things next time we head out incase he appears. I often get shouted at by other dog owners when he leaves us and bounds over to their dogs. And I have to calmly say he's not mine.

7. shirleystarr

shirleystarr PetForums VIP

The local Police will give you a number of a local dog warden
    Yes a slip lead is good poor dog thought you were going to harm him like his owner when you took hold of his collar
    If you catch him phone the dog warden and tell them he is roaming everywhere and tell them what you saw the owner doing to him to
    Blooming RSPCA are useless they have the owners phone number why cant they just phone him and ask for his address and go round and check
    I really despair of the RSPCA at times

8. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

You can turn a normal lead into a slip lead ;) just loop the lead thru the handle :)

I actually carry a spare lead with me on my trousers - it has a handle at both ends, a clip at one and an O ring at the other, so it can be used for a slip lead or a normal lead, and it just goes thru my belt loops :)

9. considerthis

Neat idea. :-o I'm sure I got a spare round here. I'll let you know if I bump into him again. Poor guy dunt deserve this bs. I honestly don't get why you'd put time, money and effort into something so rewarding, then not care if it gets run over or stolen. It doesn't make sense.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice