UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

People's view of dogs vs. money

• Yes, it infuriates me to no end

Votes: 22 37.3%
  • I've never had it happen, but imagine its angering

Votes: 22 37.3%
  • I just smile and walk off; not that bothered

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • Why would that annoy you? You did pay for them after all

Votes: 5 8.5%
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it bother you how some people view dogs- and more to the point, Your dogs? I found myself not too long back staring blankly at a young man after him saying that I must have £2k easy on those flimsy leads- I was out with 4 of the dogs. He then proceeded to ask their spay status (which I told him porkies that all were spayed!)
It was just shocking he cold look at someone else's dog and only see money, I hope he isn't an owner... Or parent!

·
Registered
12,925 Posts
Yes
but I find it very rude in all aspects of life
I HATE it when a friend buys a house and the first thing everyone asks is 'how much did it cost?'

BTW I am not as old as this statement makes me sound!

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
Nobody has ever commented on price as well...Kes was cheap as chips. They have asked about her spay status and commented on how big and tough she looks, with quite a bad looking glint in their eye though. I don't find it rude, just troubling.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Someone has asked to buy my dogs. More than once. I was so shocked I didn't know what to say. I felt like they had asked to buy my children (not that I have children! :lol:). I think I might have actually said "no you can't buy them, they are my furbabies!" Which is a bit embarassing but I was that shocked!

Weird though because I wouldn't be shocked in the same way if someone offered to buy my horse (I would be shocked, but for different reasons. :p). I guess because horses change hands a lot and they are working animals to a lot of people- I guess some people think about dogs like that too.

What that chap said to you was quite threatening - especially the bit about flimsy leads, like he was planning on grabbing one. It was a good plan to say they were all speyed. :eek:

·
Premium Member
33,934 Posts
Yes I hate it when people talk to you and try and find out how much Dillon cost, our new neighbour keep saying he must have cost a lot of money, I just say yes be I have intention of telling her how much.

Not that he cost any more than any other well breed pedigrees cost.

·
Registered
10,738 Posts
I've never had it happen and the case you describe would be more than a little unsettling . I usually get people sharing all their beagle horror stories :lol: :lol:

·
Super Moderator
29,630 Posts
Don't think anyone's ever asked me that, but it would annoy me, had a few shady youths ask me if I would breed from Bob, or sell him to me though, I just humour them:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
i get asked all the time how much will i sell the dogs for, i simply say not for all the money in the world, first time i took daniel into town (he was 10 weeks old) if i was selling him :eek: i said nope and walked away, it pees me off people think it's just a dog, they're not just dogs, they are my fur kids :)

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I hate people talking about money in that way. In my opinion, something is with what someone is willing to pay! And who cares what someone spends on something with their own money? I think it's outrageous to criticise someone for spending £££ on a dog with their money they go to work every day to earn! (provided they're not living on the dole, that's a different story LOL!)

I wouldn't mind someone asking me if they were generally interested as they were looking for a puppy and wanted I know a ballpark figure, although I don't really see a need as googling it will quickly answer that question.

If someone in the park asked me how mine one of mine cost, I'd tell them I got him for free as hes really sick and costs lots of money in vet bills ;)

·
Banned
22,188 Posts
Nosey parkers and busy bodies. Folks who want to know the price of everything but often attach very little value to what has been bought because they lack an understanding of acquiring that thing.

Zara and Oscar were points of great financial interest to many here in the beginning and we told them they were nothing we didn't earn and everything we could afford.

Both Zara and Oscar are entire and that's no ones business but ours either.

Isn't it terrible being the focal point of other peoples gossip.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
Unless it's someone genuinely interested in the breed and buying a puppy so scoping things out it drives me mad.

I get called a 'snob' when people ask if he is a pedigree and that he's 'too posh to play' :rolleyes: when another owner asked if he could play with hers; I said no as I was genuinely in a rush.

A few people have just asked me straight out if they could buy him (one car with a man in stopped, asked if he was a RR and how much I wanted).

When I'm asked how much he cost out of nosiness I deflect the question or tell people that he looks healthy but costs a fortune in vet's bills and medication as he's unfortunately chronically ill. My response varies depending on whether it's just rude people without manners or folk that worry me a little more in the park etc.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Get it all the time, doesn't bother me massively though. Just people being nosey like they are with everything else in life.

The fact that Rio knows German commands is a great source of interest among people looking to get a guard dog. Seems to add a couple of euro onto her asking price too. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I don't get asked how much Dibley was, its rare for anyone to know what breed he is although the chavviest chav I have ever met surprised me the other day fussing over him and saying 'Those miniature pinschers are such clowns, they're lovely dogs full of character I've always wanted one' (in the chavviest voice you could imagine) I was shocked!! :lol:

·
Registered
968 Posts
I don't get asked how much Dibley was, its rare for anyone to know what breed he is although the chavviest chav I have ever met surprised me the other day fussing over him and saying 'Those miniature pinschers are such clowns, they're lovely dogs full of character I've always wanted one' (in the chavviest voice you could imagine) I was shocked!! :lol:
Why would him/her sayin that shock you?? Because he/she was a chav must know nothing? And have no knowledge at al!

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Why would him/her sayin that shock you?? Because he/she was a chav must know nothing? And have no knowledge at al!
Well obviously!!! :rolleyes:: No! :mad: He was on the phone shouting his mouth off f'ing this and f'ing that yer mush nah mush then stops and talks in the most eloquent way and blurbs on about prague ratters and min pins. I think I was in my right to be taken aback! Sheesh!

·
We are all Ukraine
23,818 Posts
Scrip was 20£..plus jab and a discount on the op but he is worh every penny;)...
I always thought I have an eye for the bargain...;)

but then peeps spend fortunes on gadgets like mobiles, Iphones, silly shoes or handbags? etc..? (by the way my mobile was 99p , p like in pennies!)..
and itis their bussiness!

dogs are not gadgets..they are lifestyle...

such comments are rather rude...
a
nd then you may get it so wrong! friends have amazing pedigree dogs from the rescue...100 euros all inclusive. with vacs and the op...or 20 £ in Gib!
(they were less amazing until new owners restored them to their glory though!)

simple lack of manners..

·
Master of the Whingey Cat.
7,885 Posts
I'm not a dog owner, so don't have people asking me such silly questions but I can honestly say I've never thought that about anybody I've seen walking a dog :confused:

I normally think 'Aww, what a lovely pooch' or 'That guy looks a bit dodgy, I might walk the long way round' (I'm of the opinion that there are bad owners, but not bad dogs...). I've never ever thought 'That dog must have cost an arm and a leg'- I'm surprised people actually ask these things out loud! :crazy:

(Having said that, I have been asked if my Siamese was expensive before. My reply, which always stumps them: No, he's a rescue cat :rolleyes::)

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have had that with our leo Ozzy.. people saying how much he is worth and asking how much did we pay for him, it is quite cheeky really!

There is one man down the road who is OBSESSED with giant breeds, he owns an akita. I could walk past him with Ozzy and 20 other medium dogs with head collars, purple fur and 9 tails each and he would only notice Ozzy! :blink:
He was pretty keen on having Ozzy mate with 'Snowy' though, :skep: not a chance!!

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
Unless it's someone genuinely interested in the breed and buying a puppy so scoping things out it drives me mad. I get called a 'snob' when people ask if he is a pedigree and that he's 'too posh to play' :rolleyes: when another owner asked if he could play with hers; I said no as I was genuinely in a rush. A few people have just asked me straight out if they could buy him (one car with a man in stopped, asked if he was a RR and how much I wanted). When I'm asked how much he cost out of nosiness I deflect the question or tell people that he looks healthy but costs a fortune in vet's bills and medication as he's unfortunately chronically ill. My response varies depending on whether it's just rude people without manners or folk that worry me a little more in the park etc.
This has happened a couple of times with GSP , once was at an event where a lot of working dog people were and it was a genuine offer, so was quiet flattered:eek: Another was a car and a group of people. I went a long way out of my way to get home in case they tried to follow me. If asked and I am uncomfortable about it with either of them, I say something like he is worthless, very bad breeding, very unhealthy and nuetured..:nono:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.