Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The vet said...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by McKenzie, Mar 26, 2011.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

So I took McKenzie to the vet as she has been having accidents in the house in the past few days. Turns out she has a mild UTI and is also coming into season. While we were there I asked about her panting as she seems to pant a lot to me. The vet listened to her breathing and said that was all fine, but she said that maybe McKenzie is an anxious dog. She suggested I try to teach her to be calmer by not paying her any attention when she is over-excited and just when she is calm.

Now I wouldn't really consider Kenzie anxious, but maybe I'm missing the signs. Is there really a link between anxiety and overexcitement? I just didn't really understand what the vet was trying to say... :blink:

2. Jonesey

Jonesey PetForums VIP

I don't get it either. If it's recent would it be related to the infection?

I hope she's feeling better soon and you get through the season all right.

3. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Aww poor lil Kenzie:(

Heidi's waterworks went a bit haywire when she had her first season. She also seems to pant a bit more than other dogs (I think).

She is a v sensitive soul. She will dive into the garden is she thinks she hears something and occasionally get really agitated and start pacing and panting. It's short lived and part of her make up. Dont think anything would stop it to be honest.

Was wondering if anything was wrong tho so your post has put my mind at rest - if that makes sense:confused:

4. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Try and work out when she is panting. Dogs will pant if they are anxious, excited, or want another dog to play with them!! as well as if they are hot or in pain.
    (I can pant at Hannah and get her in a playful mood and panting back at me!!);)

5. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

Can only speak for Mia, but in her case it does seem as though their is a very fine line between anxiety and over-excitement. Once over-stimulated she tips into anxiety very quickly and vice-versa. My other dog wasn't like it.

6. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Thanks everyone. The vet did also say that maybe she's just a 'panter' - she's been doing it since she was about 4 months so it just seems to be the way she is. There doesn't really seem to be a trigger for it, she just always seems to have her mouth open apart from when she is sleeping!

Although I do feel I need to work on teaching her to be calm around people. I find it difficult to say to people to ignore her but I think I'm going to have to start doing it.

I'm not particularly looking forward to this season business - hope we get through it ok! :eek:

7. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

Aww, don't worry about it. She may very well sail through it. Poppy started her first season on 23rd December when she was coming up to 7 months old. I was expecting it as she had been licking her lady bits for a while and they became swollen. Then there were a couple of spots of blood in her bed one morning. She was really very clean, licking herself, and the only spots I found were in her bed. It lasted 18 days.

Her temperament didn't change, we are a very quiet household as there's only the two of us and OH was in hospital for five days near the beginning. I also got a nasty virus which made me quite ill and even if I wanted to I wasn't able to take her out for walks. As I was on my own my d-i-l had her for a couple of hours the first day I was ill, then for 7 hours the next day, and Poppy had the company of their two dogs. Then OH came back from hospital and us two sickly people managed to cope with her season no problem.

Poppy gets excited with people she knows and has just started to bark when strangers come into the house. It's very hard to get people to ignore her, they want to make a fuss and don't really understand why you don't want her to :rolleyes::. I'm hoping that she will calm down naturally as she gets older, but saying that my son's dog never has!

Good luck with her season, but you'll be fine.

8. rona

rona Guest

Glad it was just a UTI :)

9. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

skye is terribly prone to getting UTI's, not sure why. they usually pass in a few days though. i give her sugar free cranberry juice in her water and it really helps.
    she is a terrible panter as well. she pants pretty much allll the time. she is very excitable though and at times anxious, so it maybe is related :confused:

10. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Thanks for the tip about the cranberry juice, I'll keep that in mind.

Skye sounds like McKenzie with the panting then. She's definitely excitable but now the vet has got me thinking about the anxious thing I'm wondering if maybe she is slightly anxious sometimes and I just haven't recognised it.

11. tripod

tripod PetForums VIP

12. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Glad it was only a UTI in the end thats easily sorted

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice