Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The Updated Wet Dog Food Index

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by SixStar, May 5, 2013.

1. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

It really depends on what you ultimately decide to do I think.
    If you decide wet food it what you will feed her then make sure she is getting sufficient quantity for her size and weight as these foods are designed not to have anything added. Using a mixer biscuit as well could encourage her to put on weight. You could go half and half with kibble and wet food, again make sure you are feeding the right quantities and keep an eye on her weight. Or you could just add a spoonful of wet food to the kibble, add warm water and stir together and see if that’s acceptable to her, then you could stick with the kibble.

I would still be inclined to see how long she will hold out before eating what she is given. Put food down, leave for 15 minutes and then take away whether she has eaten or not. Do the same next meal time. Eventually she will cotton on that there’s nothing she considers better coming along and will eat what she is given

2. ClaireLouise18

ClaireLouise18 PetForums Newbie

I started doing this on Monday, she went 2 days without eating anything my vet advised to put some weetabix in dry of course which I did she ate it so did it next meal and nope. We took her out for a walk popped some wet food down and it was gone. Next day I put both down she ate the wet food and left the dry. So have been popping some dry food in with a pouch of wet food, not a lot just a small hand amount. And she is happy with that 3 days now been having that. But I know caeser isn’t a very good food so would like a good wet food. I thought maybe just get wainwright’s as we’ll see if she likes it

3. Siskin

Natures menu is good too.

4. ClaireLouise18

ClaireLouise18 PetForums Newbie

Do you feed wet food. Most people feed dry these days. My mum said to drop some ham or chicken in with her kibble. As that is what she does. But I don’t think that’s the answer

5. Siskin

No, don’t need to with greedy golden retrievers. All mine went through a short lived stage at around 7-8 months where they seemingly went off their food which was when I introduced the spoonful of natures menu and warm water into the kibble. One thing I did do was make a big show and dance about what I was doing to sort of hype up the tiny bit of wet food I was adding. Lots of ‘look what I’ve got for you, yum yum,. This is going to be good’ any old nonsense really, combined with lots of stirring and fuss over the dinner bowl. Bowl down and food gone seconds later. I gradually phased out the wet food but continued with the warm water and all the mad stirring and excitement. Nowadays I don’t need to bother and have to use a slow feeder to stop her bolting her food.

Another way of encouraging reluctant kibble eaters is to make them work for their meals. I sometimes use a Kong Wobbler feeder where the kibble ration is put into the Kong and the dog knocks it about to spill the kibble out of a hole on the side. Mine loves the excitement of batting it about and gobbling up the bits of kibble that tumble out

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KONG-Wobbl...1543584761&sr=8-1&keywords=kong+wobbler+large

6. BlueJay

BlueJay Made of bones

Spied these in Wilko's today, haven't seen them before!
    Surprisingly don't look bad at all, so for that price I bought AAAAAAALL of them :p

IMG_20190222_141055.jpg
    IMG_20190222_142224.jpg
    IMG_20190222_133517.jpg

7. Liz_Doggo

Liz_Doggo PetForums Newbie

Great thread, lots of useful tips, thanks!

8. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

Anyone tried naturediet since they changed Packaging to cartons ? ..... dunno what happened, but it smells disgusting. I actually thought they were off :Vomit

9. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

The price has put me off! Maisie was on Nature's diet or forthglade. So I wasn't paying more for different packaging or a rebrand... If the recipe has changed no thank you!

picaresque likes this.
  10. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

To be honest, I’m (and Heidi) loving the new Naturediet in tetra packs.
    I threw the towel in with it years ago after the packaging issues and poor customer service. Vowed I’d never use it again.
    If anything it suits Heidi better than it ever did. I heard good things about it, contacted ND, told them I was interested to try again but after past experience etc....... They were lovely and offered to send a selection to try.
    For years the only wet that suits is Butchers so I’m very happy.
    (My local pet shop sells ND £1 each).

11. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

Thankfully these were about 50 odd pence each at Crufts but yes, I’ve seen they have dramatically increased the price !

Not sure if the recipe has actually changed or not tbh. But not sure I’ve you’ve had a milkshake from MacDonald’s since they changed to paper straws - they taste totally different now too o_O

These were the grain free and Purely ones .... the Purely ones smelt even worse than the grain free ones. A very strange smell, like a mixture between poo and sick :Vomit

That’s great they are working for Heidi - either I got a bad batch or I’m just very nose sensitive :Wideyed

lullabydream likes this.
  12. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I had grain free and “with rice” to try. Both suit her. Grain free more so. “With rice” firmed things a little too much. Which has been her issue. She’s been great on 100% Eden but pooh became so firm and small it wasn’t clearing her anal glands - the reason for trying wet again.
    For me it’s back to it’s “steam sterilised” raw days which became lost in their issues.
    I’m going to try the Purely instead of picking out the veg (which doesn’t agree with her).
    I haven’t noticed any nasty whiffs.

lullabydream likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice