Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

The Updated Wet Dog Food Index

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by SixStar, May 5, 2013.

1. icklemunch

icklemunch PetForums Senior

WOW i have wet food envy!! That is impressive :)

2. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

Looks a lot, but then i am using more per day than you. Two of the green boxes of forthglade for example only last a week!

November 2016 & January 2017 there were so many 50% off offers everywhere i literally spent a fortune stocking up, so apart from the odd few bits ive barely brought anything since then as most tins/trays have a good 18 months - 2 year shelf life.

Then Zooplus were giving away 18 tray packs of NatureDiet for 500 loyality points and i had a stack of those saved up so traded them in for a few boxes and then one day i logged in and they had a promo for 18 trays for 250 loyality points so i think i traded them in for about 6 or 7 boxes! Sometimes its just being on the right website at the right time :)

Pets at Home have had some good offers on recently too, got 48 trays of wainwrights grain free for £40 (on offer 2 x 24 boxes for £45.00 plus had a £5 off vouchers) and Fishmongers Finest i think were 2 x 12 packs for £20.

And of course, it does help that i have 3 greedy pigs who scoff anything thats put in front of them !

icklemunch likes this.
  3. icklemunch

icklemunch PetForums Senior

Please keep us updated with your bargains :)

Think i may give pets at home a visit in the next couple of weeks see if there is anything different!

Westie Mum likes this.
  4. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

@SDPetcare has volunteered to oversee the Dog food indexes, she has a diploma in canine nutrition and I'm sure she'll be a great asset to this resource.

simplysardonic and evel-lin like this.
  5. SDPetcare

SDPetcare PetForums Member

Hi. From what I understand this needs more work than the dry food index. I will try my hardest to get it up to date as quickly as i can. ~If anyone has anything they need help with before i get it completed just post and i will do my best
    Jessy

6. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

It will be nice for both threads not to fade into oblivion. My only concern is that it could end up biased over food that SDPetcare as a company sells but hopefully that won’t be the case.

Yes it’s hugely out of date so I’ll look forward to seeing the updates :)

My post above isn’t directly aimed at you as a person btw, just a general ‘if it was any one selling food’ ..... look forward to getting to know you better and the thread being a bit more active!

SusieRainbow likes this.
  7. SDPetcare

No worries, I don't take it personally. To attempt to reassure I am happy to lay out what we do at Doodledales and then you can feel free to pull me up if i did head off on a bias (which I don't intend to do!) My ethos with my shop is to provide a well chosen selection of high end products. I acknowledge there are great foods we don't do (we have outgrown our shop again so no way i could extend range!) I don't tend to listen to manufacturers views for example at trade shows, every manufacturer will tell you there food is the best, but really I feel I am here to help the understanding of vague terms within dog food labeling.

I've tried not to waffle in that bit but hopefully I have reassured. I have a Diploma in canine nutrition at distinction level too :)

SusieRainbow likes this.
  8. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

Oh yes, you are absolutely right on that one! Even when talking to a lot of them at Crufts, you really do need to know vaguely what you are talking about because some of the stuff they spout out is incredibly !

ladyisla and SusieRainbow like this.
  9. SDPetcare

For now i'm starting at A! I probably won't cover every variety of each brand as i anticipate the general breakdown will be the same.

Aatu. Available in Chicken, Wild boar and pork, Lamb, Duck and Turkey, Beef and Buffalo.
    Ingredients shown are for chicken variety, I have checked and all ingredients are consistent to variety names, so if they appear to be single protein they are.
    Very high meat content another plus point.
    Cost is around £2.39 per 400g tin
    90% Chicken (Includes Chicken 60%, Chicken Broth 30%), Sweet Potato, Carrots, Lucerne, Peas, Chickpeas, Minerals, Tomato, Tapioca, Apple, Pear, Cranberry, Blueberry, Mulberry, Orange, Bilberry, Cowberry, Glucosamine, Chondroitin, Parsley, Peppermint, Spirulina, Seaweed, Oregano, Sage, Marjoram, Thyme, Chamomile, Rosehip, Yucca, Chicory, Aniseed, Stinging Nettle, Marigold, Fenugreek, Cinnamon, MSM.

Akela. Available in Original (chicken, turkey and fish), Fish feast (salmon, herring and shrimp), Duck and turkey, spring lamb, Wild game (venison, wild boar and reindeer) Kangaroo.
    Ingredients shown are for the Original variety. The Lamb and the Kangaroo are single protein varieties.
    Cost is around £2.00 per tin
    Freshly prepared chicken 25%, freshly prepared turkey 25%, freshly prepared salmon 10%, freshly prepared herring 10%, cranberries, blueberries, coconut, asparagus, carrots, green beans, minerals, seaweed, valerian, camomile, marjoram, stinging nettle, watercress, basil, sage, dill, green tea, aloe vera, rosehips, borage oil, prebiotic FOS, joint support.

10. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

Listing the single protein is super handy for me as 2 of mine can only have single protein :)

Just wondering though, are you able to edit the original first pages on this thread to add all the new ones in ? or if not, maybe we should start the thread again ..... as it’s going to get messy for people having to wade through all the pages looking for stuff.

@SusieRainbow can you advise which is the best option ?

Also, are you going to be using the red, orange, green system as before, or something else?

BlueJay likes this.
  11. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Wonder if it’s worth including fat/protein levels? Sixstar updated the dry index to include them.

12. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

I think adding as much as possible is helpful and if the thread is starting again, may aswell get it right to start with :)

That said, working out levels in wet food is slightly more complicated because the ones given by the manufacturer are for the food as is. Whereas to be of any use, they really should be calculated as dry matter.

#1212 Westie Mum, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    SDPetcare and Mum2Heidi like this.
  13. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

It was a thought. There’s an online calculator that does it in seconds. Perhaps include it for the very low fat varieties. There’s not many and they’re hard to find. Would be handy to have in one place for those with poorly dogs who need them instead of searching through posts to find them.

I mention it because I didn’t know where to start looking. In the end I kept a list as they were posted in case Heidi’s problems were fat related.

14. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

I use the calculator myself, easiest way :) but wasn’t sure if it would be too time consuming for @SDPetcare to do them all. Yes would be very handy to list the low fat ones ..... I spent ages trying to find some previously for Sixstar.

15. BlueJay

BlueJay Pee on it and walk away

I think leaving opinions and biases out of any list would be better (other than the traffic light system): just work with the facts

Westie Mum likes this.
  16. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

It was Sixstars list I kept:D. After spending ages calculating myself. Hence the mention:)

Westie Mum likes this.
  17. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I have PM'ed SDPetservices asking the same questions. Iagree it might be better to start from scratch if she's able and delete any analyses that are duplicated as she progresses.
    I can help with editing where required.

Westie Mum likes this.
  18. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

Yes new thread sounds the better option, if you can then sticky it and unsticky this one eventually. If we can just put the link to this thread at the start of the new one, so anyone can link back to it easy enough if needed.

19. SDPetcare

Will start a new thread to sticky when nearer to completed :)

Gemmaa and Westie Mum like this.
  20. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Commander of a tiny, furry army
    Staff Member

Best of luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice