Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

The Updated Wet Dog Food Index

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by SixStar, May 5, 2013.

1. SDPetcare

SDPetcare PetForums Member

Tins of Little Big Paw are chunks in jelly (look like typical dog food) but is higher meat content than most of that type of food. Simpsons may be worth a look as something more chunky although is more of a loaf type texture.

2. BlueJay

BlueJay Pee on it and walk away

I listed a number of them on your other post.

lullabydream likes this.
  3. neddy1

neddy1 PetForums Member

Thanks. I've investigated all these and they're not really suitable as Ned is s big lab. I've contacted tails.com and butternutbox to see if they can help as they provide cooked, wet food. Fingers crossed 'cos I'm getting stressed that he's not eating much!

4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

It might be due to his illness...

Sometimes vets prescribe appetite stimulants in these circumstances.

5. neddy1

neddy1 PetForums Member

He is hungry and happy to eat chicken, treats etc just not the various other foods we have tried. We give him anti sickness tablets when he needs them too so not sure it's particularly lack of appetite just got fussy as he feels rough.

6. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

I personally wouldn't use tails. The first food they list as "Braised fillets with beef and vegetables" is

meat and animal derivatives (including 4.0% beef), vegetables (including 3.0% carrots, 3.0% Peas), fish and fish derivatives, minerals, various sugars

Butternut box however is more like home cooked food and their beef dinner is listed as:-

Fresh Minced Beef (45%), Ox heart (10%), Ox Liver (5%), Carrots, Sweet Potato, Green Lentils, Red Split Lentils, Peas, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Organic Ground Flaxseed, Cold pressed linseed oil, Rosemary, Brewer’s Yeast, Calcium carbonate, Dicalcium phosphate, Magnesium oxide and Minerals.

As you can see, they are miles apart .....

7. neddy1

neddy1 PetForums Member

Have just spoken to tails and agree. I'm actually waiting for butternut to call me back. Thank you for replying. Will let you know how I get on!

8. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

Hopefully they will be able to help you. Their food looks pretty tasty !

In the meantime, have you tried adding a dash of water to the food you currently have, to make it sloppy ? Sometimes this appeals to dogs.

Also, have you looked at fish varieties ? Sometimes the stinkier the food is, the more appealing it is. I dont know what the protein levels are you require but Arden Grange Sensitive tins of white fish are very stinky! and food is rather sloppy aswell. Its a huge hit here.

9. neddy1

neddy1 PetForums Member

10. neddy1

neddy1 PetForums Member

He has been eating kibble and adding gravy helped but he won't eat that now. We then moved to the wet version of the food Fishmongers Finest salmon and potato or trout and potato and again he ate that for a while but won't now. The only thing he is interested in is chicken and roast beef which is fine and I'm happy for him to do that. Just worried that if he'll only eat fresh cooked meat he won't get all the vitamins etc he needs. That's why I've looked online and found tails and butternut box

11. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

I dont find Fishmongers very smelly to be honest. Might be worth a go trying a tinned fish one (if you have a pets at home nearby), or something like venison he may not have had before. If you can grab a few single tins, saves wasting too much money.

12. neddy1

neddy1 PetForums Member

We've tried a number of different ones over the last few days with different flavours but he won't eat anything with a pate variety and that's all they seem to sell that has a decent amount of protein?

13. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

Have you tried adding water to the pate food to turn it into a gravy and then adding bits of beef/chicken that he is eating to encourage him ?

Not sure if you have come across this article, but explains some good foods to feed if you wanted to consider home cooking for him http://www.elmoskitchen.com/services/diet-dogs-cancer/

14. neddy1

neddy1 PetForums Member

We've tried adding gravy chicken etc to pare and he just eats the chicken and nothing else. Will check out the link. Thank you!

15. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

It is very difficult with them sometimes. My last dog fought cancer the last 2 years of her life as it just kept spreading and she would often go through times of not eating and then other times she would be fine.

I would always try her with a vast selection of different dog foods to try and get her to eat but when she flatly refused everything i would just give her what she wanted.

Even if i was in the kitchen cooking Tuna pasta bake at midnight :rolleyes: Yes not the healthiest dog dinner in the world but her absolute favourite and she would never refuse a big bowl full. Sometimes you just get to the stage when they need to eat something/anything.

I do hope you manage to find something he will eat. I know in an ideal world you should be trying to get the high protein/fat in with little/no carbs but if he is refusing pretty much everything then just worry about getting the calories in so he doesnt loose too much weight.

16. neddy1

neddy1 PetForums Member

Thank you so much it's reassuring to know this is normal. Butternut are calling this afternoon so will see what they say but for now it looks like roast beef and chicken if that's what he wants. It's so upsetting to see my lab who would eat pretty much anything to this but no way am I going to give up. He's my boy and prepared to do whatever it takes!

Westie Mum likes this.
  17. tealover

tealover PetForums Junior

Can I please ask what people's views of the following are. My dog had settled with Lily's Kitchen wet, but now he won't touch it.

Have just bought a couple of different things to try but wonder if anybody has experienced them.

Encore - dog tin - cyicken ham and veg

Webbox - premium natural - fresh lamb and garden veg

Bakers - As good as it looks tray with chicken and veg

Forthglade complete meal - turkey sweet pots and veg

I was about to pack him off to the vets but have given him the Encore tin mixed with a bit of Harringtons (which he left) and he has wolfed it down. Very well in himself.

thank you x

18. BlueJay

BlueJay Pee on it and walk away

I quick read of the ingredients will tell you all you need to know :)

Encore tins are basically applaws. Perfectly fine as a topper or treat, but are not complete diets. Mostly meat so good quality.
    Webbox trays - if they are the ones I am thinking of - are very similar to Forthglade. Both are pretty good quality with relatively high meat content.
    Bakers I wouldn't touch; meat and aninal derivatives, various sugars etc etc

Westie Mum likes this.
  19. Puppygirl

Puppygirl PetForums Newbie

Have you tried the Naturo grain free tins? I'm using them at the moment (well, I'm using the Collards branded ones, but they're the same) and the consistency is chunks of meat, plus fruit/veg pieces in a jelly-like gravy. My pup only has them as toppers but she wolfs them down and I must say they're easier to get out the tin than those pate-consistency trays! You can get duck, turkey or chicken. They come in as 9% protein, not sure if that's too low for what you want.

https://www.kennelgate.co.uk/item/C...ree-Adult-Dog-Wet-Can-With-Duck-12-x-390g/G9N
    https://www.naturopetfoods.com/grain-free-duck-can-in-a-herb-gravy

20. tealover

tealover PetForums Junior

Can I ask please what do you mean by "topper"......on top of what? I am guessing that they don't have sufficient nutrient to be a main meal so how would they be used please?

thank you x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice