Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The Updated Dry Dog Food Index

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by SixStar, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

PinkPotatoes87 likes this.
  2. ellenlouisepascoe

ellenlouisepascoe PetForums VIP

Houndella29 and PinkPotatoes87 like this.
  3. SDPetcare

SDPetcare PetForums Member

Sorry i've been quiet, for some reason i seem to have not got notification emails and been busy.
    Guru cold pressed surf and turf is a pretty good option. Quite carb heavy as a medium amount of brown rice in this variety but a has named meat as the first and 3rd ingredient.

Hills science puppy. Maize as first ingredient isn't for the best (Especially for the price of food) and as that is 35% the Chicken must be lower than that and no % given, there is also maize gluten meal further down the list, so i believe there are better food out there.

shamykebab likes this.
  4. D & Wilf

D & Wilf PetForums Newbie

Hi. Would you put the CANAGAN Scottish Salmon in the Green category? Great index by the way!

5. PinkPotatoes87

PinkPotatoes87 PetForums Newbie

Has anyone tried Wilko Best dry food? Looked at it earlier & couldn’t see any nasties in the ingredients

6. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

Not tried it though as we don’t feed kibble but It’s not a terrible food esp for the price, but a little grain heavy if you add up the rice, barley and oats. Certainly better that bakers etc.

Houndella29 and PinkPotatoes87 like this.
  7. Houndella29

Houndella29 PetForums Newbie

Hi brilliant thread and with the knowledge so many here have, would appreciate some advice please. Does anyone know if Sodium Chloride (salt) is a necessary additive and by law has to be added to all commercial dog foods? The reason I ask, is some dried foods don't mention salt or sodium chloride, obviously fish meal is probably salty though but I was told that it has to be present in all commercial dog foods regardless by a little known dog food manufacturer whose trading name is TROPHY. Trophy openly mention sodium chloride as an ingredient. Thanks.

8. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

You would need to look under specific nutrients, so sodium, potassium in most dog foods.

Am not sure whether it's law, but specific nutrients are necessary in dog food especially those classed as salt or electrolytes; same thing really. They are needed for various bodily functions.

So yes by law there will no doubt have to be certain amounts of these nutrients in tiny quantities.

So if it's added or not it has to meet the standard so the food can qualify as dog food and the specific type eg puppy food.

It's not to do with it being an additive. Especially since many dog foods claim to be additive free, although preservative free isn't really a thing.

9. Gayle Leggatt

Gayle Leggatt PetForums Newbie

10. Gayle Leggatt

Gayle Leggatt PetForums Newbie

I have just joined and read this. Really glad I have. I got a 10 week old landseer Newfoundland 2 weeks ago, benji :) he's 12 weeks today and been feeding him royal canan in which the breeder recommended and gave me in puppy pack. I was recommended by 2 per stores by me to move him on to cannogan

11. BlueJay

BlueJay Made of bones

Whats wrong with lentils and potatoes?

12. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

Bit confused why you are excluding potato but including 20% Brown Rice and 13.5% Oats and it’s all chicken based.

One of mine is allergic to chicken

The other is allergic to oats

And I don’t feed anything with rice in o_O

13. Veba

Veba PetForums Member

14. BlueJay

BlueJay Made of bones

Middle of the road; nothing wrong with it if it suits you and your dog
    Thats an absolute crazy price for whats in it though :eek:

Torin. likes this.
  15. Veba

Veba PetForums Member

Yeah, I thought it might be cheaper elsewhere but couldn't see it. Think I'll stick to my plan to change to another brand. Last time I looked I think it was Akela I was liking the look of. Back to the research! Thanks.

16. FizzBuzz

FizzBuzz PetForums Junior

17. BlueJay

BlueJay Made of bones

Looks good! The wet food too
    There's a whole heap of European brands that look really nice

*Off to find where to get it.....*

FizzBuzz likes this.
  18. Roy+Meg

Roy+Meg PetForums Newbie

This is a fantastic list, thank you. Wonder if you would use your expertise to critique a food I currently use called Pedro Gold (made in N.Ireland). I have 2 highly active Dutch Shepherd's aged 18 months and 2.5 years. Thank you.

Attached Files:

19. anachronism

anachronism PetForums VIP

They don't actually put the ingredients on their site or on the site you posted that sells it but a google image search found the picture below. It doesnt seem to be great quality tbh. Is there an ingredients list on the bag?

Attached Files:

20. This is a really helpful list! Is ‘Wagg Kibble chicken and veg’ any good? Thanks:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice