Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The Updated Dry Dog Food Index

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by SixStar, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Jazzybird

Jazzybird PetForums Junior

IMG_20180127_134717423.jpg IMG_20180127_134748075.jpg IMG_20180127_134756342.jpg

Here you go:

SDPetcare likes this.
  2. LaurenC

LaurenC PetForums Junior

Hi

What do u think of applaws large breed puppy, Orijen Puppy Large, devoted premium puppy, and/or devoted adult duck and trout?

3. SDPetcare

SDPetcare PetForums Member

4. LaurenC

LaurenC PetForums Junior

Thanks! so personally what do you think is the best food to go for for a standard labradoodle :)?

5. Newton Bear

Newton Bear PetForums Junior

6. SDPetcare

SDPetcare PetForums Member

That one is the own brand from one of the big pet wholesalers. Some of the varieties (if memory serves me correctly) are GA standard recipes and some they have adjusted. Its better than Eukanuba but there are better foods out there for the money (Eden, Akela, Millies Wolfheart etc)

7. Annaliese39

Annaliese39 PetForums Junior

Hello, has anyone tried the Nineteen 87 range? My 7 month old Rory really likes the British Beef with Thyme and Carrot : http://www.nineteen87.co.uk/grain-free/british-beef/ but I just wanted to check what others thought before I consider buying more. It's important to me that he has a healthy diet.

8. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

It's reminds me in packaging wise like Mcadams dog food...that's over priced in my opinion.

If it suits your dog, then that's what that's all that matters.

I feed beef based foods regularly. My dogs are fine with it.
    However they used to be classed as a common allergen in food...so beef is not seen in hypoallergenic food, along with a few other things.

It's not technically high meat content per se, since it uses fresh ingredients. However there is nothing wrong with that...

Honestly if it suits it's fine.

9. Jazzybird

Jazzybird PetForums Junior

It looks good quality but wow it is eye wateringly expensive! Makes even Orijen look cheap. :)

10. Annaliese39

Annaliese39 PetForums Junior

Thanks to those who replied, you've put my mind at rest. You're right it is pricey though hence why I'm thinking of changing him to a slightly more economical high rated food which I can buy in larger quantities like Akela, Truline, Canagan, Green Dog, Bentley's, Eden, Mille's Wolfheart, Europa or Simpsons etc. He was eating Evolution Naturally but seems to be bored of it now.

#2510 Annaliese39, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  11. dejablue88

dejablue88 PetForums Newbie

Just curious. Does anyone use dog food advisor .com? Unfortunately for me, the only way I can buy quality dog food is online (the shipping costs gouge me something awful) But while looking at the dog food advisor site I saw this rating of an Iams dog food product. They gave it 3.5 stars out of 5 and this is a brand sold at my local walmart. Is this a trust worthy site?

I just don't have the means right now to go on a full fresh/raw diet. But I figure that at least with a decent middle of the road dry dog food I can add sardines and calcium powder to it to up the health quotient.

#2511 dejablue88, Mar 15, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  12. BlueJay

BlueJay Made of bones

Iams is not a terrible food ingtedients wise. If it suits you, your budget and your dog, go for it.
    It is, however, already a complete and balanced food; by all means add toppers if you like, but unless your dog has health issues, supplements like calcium powder are completely unnecessary and may even cause potential future issues.

13. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

14. dejablue88

Pedigree for most of his life. I've only just become aware of how bad a lot of this dog food is and that is only because I was curious one day and found the dog food advisory website.

15. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

Well in that case, yes Iam's is a step up so worth a try to see if it suits :)

16. BlueJay

BlueJay Made of bones

AVA do breed specific foods now, for anyone so inclined.

17. shamykebab

shamykebab PetForums VIP

@SDPetcare Hello! Any advice on Guru Surf & Turf? It's a cold pressed food, and I've recently moved my Labradors onto it from MWH - it was impossible to keep their weight on with Millies, I tried for a year! Shame, as I liked the brand and the variety very much. My concern with Guru is, being cold-pressed and then packaged in a protective low oxygen environment to reduce bacterial spoilage, what happens once the bag is opened...? It has certainly put weight onto the dogs though, but I don't think my boy likes the taste of it much!

18. Sasha pooch

Sasha pooch PetForums Newbie

Hello. Please can you look at Hills science plan puppy healthy development medium chicken kibble? I'd appreciate it. Thanks

19. dejablue88

I made the switch and he really does like the dog food! I stopped giving him calcium powder though. But I still put sardines on his food a couple days a week.

CuddleMonster likes this.
  20. ellenlouisepascoe

ellenlouisepascoe PetForums VIP

Saw this in Aldi earlier

20180329_151306.jpg

20180329_151312.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice