The Updated Dry Dog Food Index

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by SixStar, Aug 26, 2012.

1. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

The dog food index is not an advertising platform.
    You can list your product on Dog Classifieds.

2. TobyH

TobyH Guest

Hi Susie, I apologise but I think my last post was misunderstood. I was not trying to actively market my product, but to update your index for the people that view your website. As you must know a lot of changes and good new products (not just my own) have been launched since this was last updated; and since this thread must receive a lot of views I felt it was worth asking if it was going to be updated any time soon. Even Bakers have changed some of their recipes since this was last updated! Don't get too excited though, it is still killing dogs...!

SusieRainbow likes this.
  3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

OK. You're free to name your product if you wish with an analysis of nutrients and elements but not advertise. You should get some comments on the quality of the food but it won't be colour graded at the moment.

4. TobyH

TobyH Guest

Thanks Susie, would you be able to pm me whenever you are free so I can send these details across for you to insert into the index? As I said before, I would rather not name the brand in a post because people that may use a search engine to find my product may see this thread, which I feel would look unprofessional. Thanks very much.

5. Yorkiemorkiemum22

Yorkiemorkiemum22 PetForums Junior

I’ve now got Denzil on Grainfree James Wellbeloved Turkey and Vegetable and the same in kibble (although I hate kibble) I’ve cut down on the kibble though. I add boiled turkey, chicken or fish to make it higher in protein. I have Bluey on the same but his skin is still sensitive. I only give filtered water and Denzil paw nibbling has nearly stopped!
    Great shame about SixStar! I’ve spoken to ‘whoever it was’ for years. So much help when Denzi was poorly and I used the food index as a guide to help me formulate a more suitable for him. They were also a great moral support

6. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

Well Toby didn’t stick around for long did he :rolleyes:

7. SDPetcare

SDPetcare PetForums Member

I would be happy to try to keep this (and the wet food one) up to date, having recently gained a diploma in canine and feline nutrition i do have some background knowledge.

8. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Hi everyone I'm curious to know what you think of the dry food I'm currently feeding my GSD (alongside forthglade salmon and rice wet food). It's Dr John's hypoallergenic lamb and rice. This is the nutritional info:

Cereals (minimum 14% rice), meat and animal derivatives (minimum 26% lamb), oils & fats, seeds, minerals

I've a feeling it's not the best but combined with the forthglade it's completely stopped my dogs itching, her fur is back to being shiny and a bald spot on her tail has grown back and is now bushy. I'm considering changing her over to vet kitchen senior salmon and rice (sky is now 9 years old). This is the nutritional info

Salmon (min. 40% includes; Salmon min. 24%, Salmon Meal min. 16%), Brown Rice (min. 24%), Oats, Potato, Sugar Beet Pulp, Poultry Fat, Poultry Digest, Brewers Yeast, Minerals, Salmon Oil, Pork Digest, Vitamins, DL-Methionine, Taurine (min. 0.09%), Nucleotides (min. 0.09%), Marigold Flowers, Glucosamine (min. 0.06%), Methylsulfonylmethane (min. 0.06%), Mannanoligosaccharides (min. 0.05%), Fructooligosaccharides (min. 0.05%), Carrot, Apple, Seaweed, Chondroitin Sulphate (min. 0.04%), L-Carnitine (min. 0.04%), Yucca Schidigera Extract, Mixed Tocopherols and Rosemary, Beta Carotene Allergy Information: Free From Wheat, Free From Soya\Soybeans

I think eventually I'd like to switch her to a completely grain free diet but she's doing well right now and is a good weight (33kg).

9. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

Yeah the Dr John's isnt the best, but if along with the forthglade its helped her itching then thats great. What were you feeding before the Dr John's ? it might be helpful to know incase it's a food allergy, so you can avoid the same sort of ingredients in any new food.

If you are wanting to go grain free then it would probably be best to do that now instead of changing to vets kitchen and then changing it again later on to another food. To be fair, the vets kitchen would be quite an improvment ingredients wise to the Dr Johns especially if you continued with the forthglade too.

10. SDPetcare

SDPetcare PetForums Member

My main concern with the ingredients of Dr Johns is the very vague terminology they use. Cereals could be any (although on their website it does say made without wheat) most likely to contain maize at least, also when using generic terms the formulation can change within those listed areas.

Before she went onto this what were you feeding (trying to pinpoint the most likely reason for the itching) You could change her onto the Vets Kitchen, (it would be an upgrade to the Dr Johns) but it would be worth considering something Lamb based as you already know that seems to suit.

Jessy

11. Puppygirl

Puppygirl PetForums Newbie

Hi all, I wondered if anyone else has seen the Grain Free Turkey & Veg food that Aldi have started doing (not sure when but it says new on the shelf)? I've tried searching online for it and it's not on their website, nor can I find any mention of it anywhere else, but I did snap a pic of the ingredients so here they are:

Poultry meal 34% (inc 15% turkey meal), sweet potato pulp, potato starch, peas (10%), poultry fat, linseed, beet pulp, poultry digest, salmon oil, minerals, kelp, yeast, citrus extract, glucosamine, yucca extract, chrondroitin, methyl sulphonyl, methane, parsley, oregano, cranberry extract, marigold meal.
    Analysis: Crude protein 25%, crude oil & fats 11%, moisture 10%, crude fibre 3%, crude ash 8.5%, omega 6 1.89%,omega 3 1.1%

It looked pretty decent to me, so I put these ingredients into the All About Dog Food instant calculator and it came back as 4.3/5. I'm going to go back and pick up a bag today to check it out as I think it was £3.99 for 2kg. Has anyone tried it or is it brand new?

12. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

Doesn't look bad .... the only thing that would bother me is that it's just classed as Poultry, so this could change between chicken, turkey, duck, etc between batches.

I would double check the price as I am sure their standard food (which is full of grains) is about the same price. I remember someone on here asking about it before. I think it was Langhams ?

13. Jazzybird

Jazzybird PetForums Junior

SDPetcare likes this.
  14. BlueJay

BlueJay ★ Snooterhounds Everywhere ★

Step Up to Naturals now comes in grain free (both wet and dry)

15. Biffo

Biffo PetForums Senior

Does anybody know if Pets at Home Wainwrights Gently Baked comes in big bags? I tried the 1.5kg and my girl really liked it, but it's £9.99! And she eats 2 bags a week, so £80 for 28 days. I've looked on the website but I can't see it in a bigger size.

16. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

@BlueJay our PAH oracle will know :)

BlueJay and Biffo like this.
  17. BlueJay

Just the dinky bags for now, unfortunately! Which is a shame, Frodo really liked it too.

Laughing Dog might be worth a try if you're specifically after a baked one in bigger bags :)

18. Biffo

Biffo PetForums Senior

Thanks @BlueJay , I had a look online at them and I quite like the different flavours, and they're grain free, so I'll give them a go. Honestly sometimes I put food down for her and she backs away from the bowl like I'm trying to poison her! Last night we had home made Nandos and I got sad eyes / arse face all night from her because she didn't get any chicken. (To be fair she does usually but this was smothered in spicy sauce).

19. danielled

danielled PetForums VIP

Question. Who is keeping these dog food index's up to date?

20. BlueJay

Nobody

SusieRainbow likes this.