The Updated Dry Dog Food Index

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by SixStar, Aug 26, 2012.

1. BlueJay

BlueJay wag more ★ bark less

Omnomnomnom

20171111_102302.jpg
    20171111_102451.jpg

Sarah H likes this.
  2. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

The kibble looks a weird shape compared to normal doesn’t it !

Will pick up a variety of the grain free sets next time I’m down there :)

And completely off topic, but seriously how do you have any wages left working there lol

BlueJay likes this.
  3. BlueJay

BlueJay wag more ★ bark less

I <3 COLLEAGUE DISCOUNT :p:p

It's baked, so a different texture to normal kibble too.
    The last baked food we had was Laughing Dog; it was in much bigger chunks, and while they ate it happily, it tended to stick to the roof of their mouths like weetabix! This one went down a storm :)

I totally dig weird shapes though. I chose which Millies to feed solely on which ones were cheerio shaped... and I was awfully tempted to try the Bosch one from Zooplus before they changed the recipe because it came in little fish shapes :Shy

#2443 BlueJay, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  4. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

Even with discount I’d be broke lol

Would have liked to have tried baked, as haven’t before, but with Oscar’s storage mite allergy its just not even worth attempting to have dry food in the house.

5. Annaliese39

Annaliese39 PetForums Newbie

6. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

Poultry Meat Meal (min 26%), Rice (min 26%), Whole Maize, Poultry Oil, Sugar Beet, Whole Oats, Brewers Yeast, Whole Linseed, Fish Meal, Fructo-oligosaccharide (0.1%) Mannan-oligosaccharide (0.1%), Extract of Yucca Schidigera

Not the worst food in the world but very rice, maize and oats heavy.

Is there are particular reason why you want this one ?

7. Annaliese39

Well, it's just what my brother feeds his dog and as he often eats at our house we wondering if we should get the same food for my puppy once he's older. He's on Fishmongers Finest for puppies at the moment and I want to make sure he has the best foods I can afford.

8. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

Fishmongers is a much much better food :)

Fish Meal (70%) (White Fish Meal 30%, Rehydrated Fish Meal 30%, Fish Digest 10%,), Potato (35%), Fish Oil (8%), Beet Pulp, Omega 3 Oil (4%), Yeast, Minerals (includes Kelp 250mg/kg, Yucca Extract 200mg/kg, Marigold Meal 50mg/kg, Rosemary Extract 5mg/kg)

Nearly 3 times the meat content as the other one and grain free, rather than grain heavy.

Not sure is Scottie’s are as sensitive as Westie’s but Westie’s do much better on grain free.

9. Annaliese39

Thank you so much, that's really helpful. It's what I thought too - everyone says I'm overthinking this, but I feel it's important. I didn't realise that about Westies, but I think you may be right. I'll stick with Fishmongers and similar foods for the future.

BlueJay likes this.
  10. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

When you’ve got one little dog to feed then it’s a lot easier to feed better quality than people who have multiple large dogs as they obviously go through a lot of food. Plus better food = less poo :)

11. CuddleMonster

CuddleMonster PetForums VIP

I came across Pero Super Sensitive and Grain Free Ocean Fish and Tapioca this morning - any thoughts on that? It said on the packet that tapioca is more digestible than rice or potatoes and good for dogs who are prone to upset tummies which caught my attention as Bonnie has such a sensitive tum!

12. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

What happened to Sixstar? Hope she is OK, she's no longer a member.....

13. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

rottiepointerhouse and Jazzybird like this.
  14. hackertime

hackertime PetForums VIP

Oo dear haven't been on for ages quite sad as i did take a lot of guidance food wise

15. TobyH

TobyH Guest

Is there anyone that has the admin rights to keep this index updated? It's a great shame that the creator was banned, regardless of the reasons for it this is a good concept and would be a shame for new users to be taking advice from outdated information in the future.

16. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

What a strange comment for your first post :Wideyed

17. TobyH

TobyH Guest

That wasn't the point of my post, my point was essentially asking if this guide will be kept up to date going forward.

18. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

If anyone cares to volunteer, yes. It would be a shame for it to fall out of use but we do have other members who are very knowledgeable , @Westie Mum for one.
    In addition the site All about Dog Food is very comprehhensive and kept up to date.

PixieSpoodle and Westie Mum like this.
  19. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

It was recently updated, but before that it was quite out of date anyway. The wet food one is incredibily out of date - there weren't half the amount of foods about even a couple of years ago. If you are looking for something in particular ask the question and im sure someone will help you.

Sites like allaboutdogfood have someone working on it full time as the adverts give him an income so will always be more up to date than anyone doing it in their free time.

SusieRainbow likes this.
  20. TobyH

TobyH Guest

Thanks for your reply. The reason I ask is that after 8 years of nutritional research I recently developed my own recipe of dry dog food which launched in April 2016. By the time this was last updated our food obviously wasn't on the 'All About Dog Food Guide'. I was doing some market research as I often do; and this thread was listed very high in search engines. I imagine a lot of people who are new pet owners are finding this thread and it is a shame that they aren't being given the most up to date information if they are still yet to stumble across the All About Dog Food Guide.

My question would be, is there anyone I can directly message on this forum that is able to insert my food into this index (for the benefit of dog owners since it is one of the 'best' foods nutritionally in the UK), or to possibly edit the OP stating that this is out of date and redirecting viewers to the AADF website?

Thank you for your time!

P.S. Sorry for being hesitant to reveal my company name besides direct message as it would appear unprofessional if this post were to be found in Google by my customers searching for my food.