Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The traffic on our roads, especially bank holidays

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JANICE199, Apr 18, 2019.

1. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Lurcherlad likes this.
  2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I always avoid it bank holidays it's balmy. I can't stand motor way traffic I always panic.

JANICE199 likes this.
  3. HarlequinCat

HarlequinCat PetForums VIP

Im glad I'm not the only one who dreads motorways. It's pot luck weather you're going to get a good or bad journey!

If you get stuck in a jam you could be there for hours, with no turn off for miles (I hate feeling trapped). And it can often be easier going the A and B roads instead. M6 roadworks are a nightmare too, especially with holiday traffic

JANICE199 and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

No fun going anywhere popular this weekend - everywhere will be mobbed.

Definitely keeping away from “tourist” routes and anywhere that attracts families tbh ;)

The A12 seemed very slow and almost at standstill outside Chelmsford earlier, and most major routes leading on and off.

JANICE199 and HarlequinCat like this.
  5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

We often use the A roads on major journeys - not so boring (although fairly straight for Jack ;)) and opportunities to break the journey for drinks, food and leg stretching :)

6. HarlequinCat

HarlequinCat PetForums VIP

We do too. To get home to see family it's a 300 mile journey. There's unavoidable sections of motorway, but generally we only add an hour on than if we did all motorway, and far less stressfull. Like you say, nicer views too!

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

I love motorway driving , except for the heavy traffic, The M25 around Heathrow airport is a nightmare.

JANICE199 and Squeeze like this.
  8. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I'm fine with it too.

The trouble with avoiding the motorways, means there is more traffic on roads that often can't cope with it. I live near Stafford, bracketed by junctions 13 and 14 on the M6. God forbid if there are any problems between those two junctions, Stafford grinds to a standstill. Gridlock in some places, it's awful.

kimthecat likes this.
  9. Kittynanna

Kittynanna PetForums Member

I much prefer motorway driving, traffic delays and roadworks are a big problem whatever roads your on...

kimthecat likes this.
  10. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

Motorways are boring, but I do mega miles and I can't be doing with a faffy scenic route when it's already 1am and I just want to get home. Motorways are almost always the quickest way from A to B, unless they are good gridlocked.

To be fair, I rarely get caught in motorway traffic as I rarely travel on them during the day, it's mainly at night.

I do like a faffy scenic route for leisure journeys though. :)

Yes and today I found out to my cost that they've closed one tiny section of the A34 near the McDonald's. That completely screwed up my highly time-sensitive journey! :mad::Arghh

11. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Oh yes, the Stone Road? - you should have asked x

They keep changing it between that road and the Eccleshall Road which is the other one to/from the motorway. Sadly they aren't making those changes clear until you get really near the roundabout...

12. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

Yes and I'd already sat in traffic in the roadworks for ages before getting to the roundabout.

The roadworks that say 'road closed here for three weeks from March 11th'.... hmm....

My fault for not being observant on the way down, I guess - it's open southbound and I didn't even notice it was shut northbound. It's literally only shut for 10-20 yards.

13. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I know, could you not have just gone for it in a gap??

:D

14. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

We have four years of widening the A14 around Cambridge to apparently make it safer (I thought drivers were responsible for safety not tarmac) and it’s year 2. It’s mostly gridlock because of roadworks now.

Cambridge City will be crammed with visitors all thinking Granchester is in the shadows of Kings College so I have no intention of walking in. I feel compelled to help lost tourists and the disappointment on their faces is only comparable to that of a child who has lost its iPad.

Lurcherlad and JANICE199 like this.
  15. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

We had a lovely walk today in the fields in warm sunshine, its a quiet spot and we saw different types of butterflies and a buzzard. We watched the traffic crawling along the A/M40 and were glad we weren't stuck in it and appreciated the beautiful green belt land we have on our doorstep.

HarlequinCat likes this.
  16. Boxerluver30

Boxerluver30 Hound Lover

I don't mind motorway driving either. I've not had to deal with heavy traffic on it yet however I did drive down the M6 from Junction 21 (Woolston) to Junction 17 (Crewe) to drive to Stoke for a friends 21st birthday party in December last year. It was around 11pm when I drove back and I went around some country roads too to avoid traffic in the pouring rain. I disliked the country roads definitely more than when I finally got back on the M6, I hated how there's no lights!

I don't understand why everyone tries to go to the same place at once on bank holidays, its not as if its a surprise. Easter is every year after all! I prefer quieter places personally and would take A/B roads if the motorways were gridlocked.

kimthecat likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice