Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

The sun is out... That means... Bath time!!!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by RachJeremy, Jun 4, 2018.

1. RachJeremy

RachJeremy PetForums Senior

Hello guys :D

Wanted to know your tips to bathing horses... What do you guys use?

Any tips for getting legs white again... My little blagdon colt is awfully dirty and his legs are usually brown or yellow in colour!

I swear by NAF Citronella Wash for a quick wash, as you just put in an a bucket and brush or sponge it into them, no need to rinse :)
    But obviously thats not as good as giving them a full bath!

So any tips/tricks/hacks you guys want to share with all of us, please go ahead :D

(picture of my two youngsters after their baths/washes) 34345400_10211157917800667_3513282492213755904_n.jpg 34089652_10211157918240678_853373825205665792_n.jpg

Summercat, Teddy-dog and picaresque like this.
  2. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

I have a grey.. and he rarely gets bathed TBH. He spends most of his life with some sort of stain on him *sigh* I just give up.

In terms of getting things white. I used the Diamond white shampoo (purple) and it does work amazingly, gets his tail gleaming. You do have to properly work it in and rinse but I think it's great.

RachJeremy likes this.
  3. RachJeremy

RachJeremy PetForums Senior

I don't know how people with grey horses do it! I don't think i could cope mentally with a grey XD it's why i'm glad all mine are black! Both boys are blagdons, so have white legs and faces... But my girl is all black apart from her little snip on her nose and i'm so glad for it!
    Although a scurfy black horse is not pleasant either >.<

Teddy-dog likes this.
  4. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I use a car brush on the end of a hose to scrub the coats plus shampoo. Legs - fairy liquid brings them up well as does hexocil. Before a show they are done with both.

6. Bicuit123

Bicuit123 PetForums Junior

I used to have a flea bitten grey and she was always turning yellow. Dawn dish soap worked like a charm on her.

7. Chippers

Chippers I like cats

I have a grey too but luckily he's got dark points so it's not so bad with the cleaning! He doesn't really like baths either.

8. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

My grey is very white so so hard to keep clean! This is him after a little wash yesterday, I didn’t bother with his legs because I wasn’t bathing to get him clean. He gets really bad fly bites and I have some medicated shampoo that calms them down so I was putting that on him :)

He’s a good boy at baths, but I don’t have time to do it all that often! We don’t go to shows much as I don’t have my own transport and he’s not a great loader so it’s a lot of money to hire something for him to not end up getting in it!! E5A3905F-473C-4279-95FF-CA35FED8B637.jpeg

9. Chippers

Chippers I like cats

Aw he's lovely, this is mine after baths! I've just bought a little horsebox so we're getting out to shows and stuff :)
    This one was in April so still a bit of winter fluff..
    20180615_080435.png

And this one was at a little local show last month where he looks so bright and clean!
    Screenshot_20180615-080452.png

Teddy-dog likes this.
  10. Chippers

Chippers I like cats

Oops huge photos!

11. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

He's gorgeous! Looks great at the show :D

I used to use a friends box to practice loading but her horse went lame and wasn't going to get better so she sold it :( Mine's been lame for two months though so we wouldn't be getting out anyway! Just bringing him back into work now.

12. Chippers

Chippers I like cats

Thanks :-D i've not had him that long, just over a year, and he spent 4 months of last year on box rest for a ruptured tendon :rolleyes: so we're just starting to work together as a team really!

13. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Awww well I'm glad he's all better! Horses hey, who'd have them??? :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice