Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The show must go on. apparently!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jen24, May 18, 2010.

1. jen24

jen24 Banned

2. GillyR

GillyR PetForums VIP

I agree, they are beautiful.

Cant say i am really that sorry or surprised about the trainner, play with fire you get burnt. What is a shame is they have learned nothing from the death :mad:

3. jen24

jen24 Banned

i agree, i just didnt want to sound harsh lol:thumbup:

they insist on messing with things that shouldnt be messed with unfortuantely like you say 'play with fire and youll get burnt'.

they will never stop though. i dont understand who on earth gives them/us the right to cage a beautiful wild animal make it do tricks.

but then again i probably cant talk too much as we go to zoo's ect with the kids.:eek:

4. Valanita

Valanita PetForums VIP

Zoos are vastly different to places like Seaworld. Dolphins & Orca's, belong in the sea, free to go where they like, they travel emmense distances in the wild, they live in family pods, they don't breed successfully in captivity which is what Zoos are now for, conservation.
    I would never dream of visiting a captured Dolphin or Orca show, to me it is totally wrong. I wish they were banned, illegal!

5. nic101

nic101 PetForums VIP

they belong in the sea. but evenin the sea they arnt safe. its so sad :(

6. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

Yet another poor animal who lives totally unnaturally miserably so humans can have some amusement :rolleyes: selfish species we are :mad: I am saddened she was killed but crap happens when you force a wild animal to be a toy. :(

7. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I agree but also find most zoos to be disturbing places for alot of animals. I know they bang on about captive breeding but I'm not convinced that this isn't an excuse to entice visitors in to see lots of cute, baby animals before they are shipped off to yet another zoo.
    There's plenty of stories around regarding zoos killing animals that are no longer popular, animals left to starve to death, selling body parts (see link Zoo animals killed to support skin trade: Born Free Foundation). Whenever I've been to zoos it seems to be the predatory animals that just look so bored that makes me feel like crying.

#7 Cleo38, May 18, 2010
    Last edited: May 18, 2010
  8. Valanita

Valanita PetForums VIP

The difference there, Cleo, is that the vast majority of Zoo animals are captive bred, but Orca's & Dolphins aren't.
    They send young animals, or whatever species, to other zoos to spread the gene pool. It makes sense to not have a female mate with father or brother, so they go where unrelated males are or vice versa.

9. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

But Orcas are still bred in captivity so is it ok to house them in a large swimming pool? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katina_(whale)
    Animals still have natural instincts so some do not fair well in zoos regardless of captive breeding.

10. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

I dont think the pools they are in are big enough for them at all, I do feel sorry for them being trained for our amusment, they werent bred for that at all. If they have to put them into anything why dont they make it massive for them, after all they had the sea for a home. Then we can all view them as they are with out performing.

11. Cazza1974

Cazza1974 PetForums VIP

You would think that they would get the message wouldn't you?:mad: The orca that attakced and killed the trainer is obviously not happy in the life it is being made to lead! And yet they carry on! I love Orcas I always have. They are magnificent creatures. I just wish that they could be left where they should be. In the ocean.

12. Valanita

Valanita PetForums VIP

That article has really surprised me. I had no idea the Orca calves were surviving at all.
    I'll have a Google to see if Dolphins are breeding successfully in captivity as well.
    Apparently they do, but not it seems as successfully.
    I am amazed that the captive bred Dolphins are actually surviving.
    It's to me, totally wrong, they should all be in the sea.

13. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - awful.
    There was a programme recently on BBC2 about a young Orca who had become seprated from his pod & tried to befriend the residents of a place called Nootka Sound. It was an amazing story but the ending was so sad, I blubbed so badly & couldn't stop.
    Luna was so magical, it must have been an amazing experience to have had the chance to meet with him

#13 Cleo38, May 18, 2010
    Last edited: May 18, 2010
  14. Valanita

Valanita PetForums VIP

I saw that programme too & I howled my eyes out. :sad:I wondered why they couldn't get him back with his Family again?

15. MissG

MissG PetForums VIP

Of course the show must go on, I bet the have lost on out millions this last few months.

As we all know, these animals should not be in captivity.
    I completley agree with zoo's though - that is of course, the good ones.

16. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn PetForums Senior

The whales at seaworld are beautiful but its just so wrong.

[​IMG]
    This little guy was playing with my god-daughters and the rest of the kids.. following them and when little Izzy waved at him (she was only 2 and stood right in front of him in the pic) he was waving his fins back. Just after i took this picture one of the trainers came down and had a go at us saying

"...don't let the children interact with him because its ruining his training! Tell them to keep their hands still or move away from the exhibit!..." :eek: :eek6:

He was so sad when all the kids that stayed there just stood still.. he just swam off to the other side of the tank on his own after that :(

How can folks say its not cruel when it is.. he was just a baby and couldn't play because they needed him to train and only do what they wanted.. not his natural behaviour.

17. jen24

jen24 Banned

Omg he is beautiful. very very beautiful.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice