Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The same cat dilemma.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Walkerl, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Walkerl

Walkerl PetForums Newbie

Hi All,

I posted a similar post several months ago about my two cats (one being 11 and the other being 3yrs). I moved location and my cats stayed with my mum and now I have recently moved into a rented ground floor flat recently.

My original dilemma was bringing both cats down and the logistic of bringing my older lady down (she has only known my mums house).
    The Landlord is potentially only going to let us have one cat and i genuinely do not know what to do.

My options are separating both cats and bringing the younger one down or vise versa, the other option is accepting that I cannot separate them and leave them with my mum. An additional factor is, there is another rescue cat that has recently moved into my mum's house, so if i did separate, the one that stays wouldn't be alone.

I am really torn, I really want both cats but, I cant and I don't feel great separating them and potentially causing them distress.
    Can anyone offer me some advice, I know it is my decisions overall but I am struggling to make the right choice.

Thank you.

2. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

Is your mum able to have three cats? I think that's the first question you need to ask.

If yes, in some ways I'd be inclined to leave them where they are as they're settled and happy.

If no, I would look at moving the younger cat as they'll be more adaptable than your older lady that's set in her ways

3. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I also think it depends how close the cats are, is one likely to miss the other? Also, are the circumstances different where you are moving i.e. do they currently go outside and would this still be available? If not, a cat who has had access to outdoors would probably find it difficult being confined. Weighing up the options, I would agree with @Rufus15, if you have to move one then it should be the younger one.

4. Walkerl

Walkerl PetForums Newbie

Sorry it's taken a while to message back.

The cats are close in a sense they sleep together and sit in the garden together. The living situation here would be a change, as they would be in doors the majority of time. She is able to keep them, I know what I should do, Its hard because they're my cats. In an ideal would I'd have them both with me☹.

Thank you

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice