Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The safety of window net?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by AlEksandar019, Mar 11, 2017.

1. AlEksandar019

AlEksandar019 PetForums Newbie

I live in an apartment, and I have installed a safety net about a year ago. This kind of net is usually used for keeping mosquitoes out, but I installed it so I can keep my window open without the risk of my cat falling. However, my cat keeps climbing on it, and since it's getting older and heavier, I worry that the net might fall off (along with my cat).

Do you think it's safe, and if not, any suggestions? Not opening the window is not an option, especially in the summer...

2. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

Cant you get a security screen installed? Or if renting ask the landlord if you can pay for one, wont be much for just one window. it will only do him/her good for their rental anyway.

incase you poms call it something else :p I mean these

[​IMG]

#2 Waterlily, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  3. Matrod

Matrod Moderator
    Staff Member

I have something like this on my windows - it's an mesh so sturdier than net
    IMG_1673.JPG
    My two have both launched at it, including my big lad & it's withstood this.

4. oliviarussian

oliviarussian Meeoow!

bluecordelia, huckybuck and Forester like this.
  5. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

A couple of my mossie nets have been broken through by my cats. Both were made of the fabric/ plastic stuff. So far after replacing with metal type mesh they've been fine.

6. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

keep the cats nails clipped and switch to mesh screen instead of netting.
    You could make an aluminium frame fixed into place for strength, depending on your window style.

I'd hazard a guess you can't find security screens as WL posted in the U.K.

Waterlily likes this.
  7. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

We have mesh screens but they can still be opened if one of the HBs launches themselves full pelt at the screen and Grace has worked out how to pull hard enough to get the magnet off the doors!

I've installed air con in our bedroom and window stays on the other rooms as a precaution.

bluecordelia likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice