Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The saddest thing has just happened :(

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Acacia86, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I have just rescued a tiny baby rabbit no older than 6 weeks if that from a cat. Opposite my house is a big grass area with bushes and the cat was 'playing' with the bunny. The rabbit was in so much shock he just left the cat to it only hopping around pitifully. People were stood watching as i ran over i shouted to them 'how can you just stand there?' no one answered. Anyway i got there and picked the bunny up and he was limp and breathing very hard through his mouth. Total shock. I was walking back to my house and the cat followed. By the time i got him to a very dark corner he died in my hands :( :( i felt awful. I cried and wrapped him in a soft towel ready for burial. :( so sad. I feel so downcast now. Did i do the right thing? Or should i have just sat with him where he was? The cat was relentless. What would you have done?

1 person likes this.
  2. Baby Bordie

Baby Bordie PetForums VIP

Awww, you did everything you could have, dont worry! R.I.P little bunny! :(

3. mindymoo

mindymoo PetForums Member

bloody cats :mad:

4. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

You SO did the right thing! :D Maybe if one of the onlookers had done it the poor mite would have survived. :cursing:

5. JoWDC

JoWDC PetForums VIP

You did the right thing. We always try and get the live catches away and safe from our cats when they bring them in as presents. Sometimes it works, other times it didn't. Sadly in your case it was the later.

It depends on where the cat picked the bunny up. If it was on the stomach it would probably have had internal injuries (a vet explained this to me once) so may have died from this as well as the shock.

6. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Thanks guys. I just feel so awful. He was only a baby. He must have been terrified. And i know how can people stand and watch something like that? And even think in their stupid tiny brains to do something. Anything. Even keep the cat away at least.

7. clairescunny55

clairescunny55 PetForums Member

oh hun that mustve been awful. i wouldve done the exact same thing xxxx

8. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I would have done exactly the same as you did, sorry you had to experience something so upsetting, run free little bunny.

9. toddy

toddy PetForums Senior

You did everything you could and you tried to save the little one.
    It is so difficult as sadly rabbits dies so quickly from shock.
    At least it died being rescued and not being tormented xx

10. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I did check him over (yes just after he passed) i felt if i knew what he died of it would be easier to deal with. But there was absolutely no wounds. He was wet at the back of his neck just where i saw the cat try to hold him but no injuries there either. But as jodwc said it could have been internal. But it was definately shock that did it. I can't get him out of my head. I can't imagine what he was going through. My dad was here at the time and his rabbit 'bright eyes' died the same way after a dog who got into the garden tried to get into his hutch to get him.

11. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

Oh you poor thing you did your best, Rip little fella

12. mistique57

mistique57 PetForums Junior

You did all you could i would of also done the same.

13. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Really thanks everyone. Its nice to know that you have done the same. Its human nature (well mine at least!!) to keep thinking 'could i have done more' 'what if i hadn't popped to shop before coming home' but i feel now i did try to do all i could. I have rescued a couple of rodents from the deadly jaws of my own cats but they have all all survived. One in fact i still see sometimes! I know its him/her because he/she has a scar on the top of his/her head! And its very noticeable. Brave boy/girl! I think its because i feed the birds in my garden and he or she picks up the seeds that drops! Clever little shrew!

14. Gobaith

Gobaith PetForums VIP

Awww poor thing, yep you did the right thing the bunny died in comfort .. rest in peace little bunny :(

15. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

i would have done exactly the same as you, well done for trying to help xx R.I.P poor little bunny:(

16. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

You did the right thing...I would have done the same....I cannot believe people just stood and watched:mad: Thats the mentality of some people today....makes me so cross! RIP little bunny:(xxx

17. kath123

kath123 Guest

You did everything you could hun, and you did more than most people did as well. Hope you are ok. xx :D:D

18. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I feel a little better today about it all. Calmed down! But still feel sad :( x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice