Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The sad truth

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SpringerHusky, Jul 26, 2009.

1. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

is that things don't always work out, no matter how hard we try.

Some may have heard Daynna has got another dog, it's Bear.

We had intended to keep Bear, but as of late we noticed Barney's sulking more and more and the fact he was really biting into himself making himself bleed quite bad. I consulted both my trainer and vet and both offered me news I didn't want to hear, Barney was not happy with living with Bear.

I knew since pep'e our poodle attacked him, he became uncomfortable with male dogs in his home and sullks. We thought that Bear being his son would make a difference and it did, till recently.

Barney is missing allot of fur and has scabs over his back, feet and under his legs. Since Bear has been gone, he has stopped biting himself and is allot happier in himself.

The other sad factor is i've started working now and i'm gone 10 hours a day, there's someone home which suits Maya and Barney fine but Bear needed attention and my brother is not a person who gives that. My mum comes home at lunch and walks and fusses them but Bear was becoming destructive and we also felt it's not fair on him.

Bear is obviously now living with his brother Zeb, so I'm at peace knowing he's gone to a fantastic home, I miss him and he always made me laugh, plus he was fun to teach tricks too. I wanted Bear to stay after being in 3 homes (not including mine) I thought he was meant to stay here but sadly things haven't worked out.

I did NOT charge Daynna so I got no money out of this and money is NOT a problem, I just felt it was unfair on Barney if he was unhappy and it was causing him so much stress.

Thanks~

P.s I can understand if you don't like me for this but please keep comments calm so I don't have to add another locked thread to my list.

#1 SpringerHusky, Jul 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  2. emmakeo

emmakeo PetForums Member

thats really bad news and i feel sorry for you and bear hope your luck changes for the better soon

3. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

That sounds like a horrible situation to be in. But you made the right choice for Barney and Bear. I'm sure Daynna will keep you updated with tons of pics.

4. HighlandQuine

HighlandQuine PetForums Senior

That's a hard place to be in, all of you.

Sending hugs and snugs :)

5. Why should we be mad at you?? Bears gone to a fab home you should be pround for doing the right thing!!!:D:D And at the end of the day you did have ohers dogs to consider!
    love
    DT

6. SpringerHusky

Thanks guys :eek:

7. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

Im so sorry things havent worked out, but like others have said you did what was best for your dogs, and that must have been hard for you. I just hope that Barney hasent developed a habit as he sounds quite bad from how you discribed him. Atleast you can rest now knowing his home will work out, its nice Bear has Zeb too.

8. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Hiya, I see no reason why anyone will be angry with you :confused:

It must have been a hard decision hun but you did what was right for you and yours :)

9. SpringerHusky

He still bites a tiny bit but I rarley see it now, before he was doing it every 5 minutes :(

10. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

just try and stop him incase hes got a bad habit (like us biting our finger nails) maybe bath him so his skin will feel soothed the scabs maybe irrotating him.

#10 DKDREAM, Jul 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  11. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

I too am sorry things didn't work out but as others have said, you did the best for your dogs, and you have the satisfaction of knowing that Bear has gone to a great home.

Ellie x

12. Colsy

Colsy Banned

I dont think anyone will have a bad thing to say to you.
    i take my hat off to you for making the right choice with Bear, it must have been a hard thing to do.

13. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Hi, you have mad the right decision. I am sorry that you cannot keep Bear but at least you know where he is and he will be happy with his brother.

Poor Barney he must have been having a right old time :( But now you can concentrate on geting him better : What about putting a lampshade collar on him until the scabs heal up? As he may be stopping them healing if he bites because they irritate him?- I know when Dixie hurt her leg it would scab up and then itch so she chewed at it and it took me ages to find something that would stay on her leg to keep it covered! Lol

*hugs*

xx

14. Nicci

Nicci Guest

Probably a good idea, best thing I could advise would be hibiscrub, I've used this on my own dogs and it's really good at cleaning out wounds that have become irritated, I dialute 1 part to 10 parts boiled water lather the stuff up gently apply it and rinse off (please rinse off don't leave it as it's intended as wash not an application for a wound)

Really good stuff especially for irritated skin, smells lovely too :)

I'm sorry SpringerHusky you have made the right decision. x

15. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

Daynna is a fantastic owner! you couldnt have placed Bear with anyone better, Zeb is proof of that:)

LostGirl likes this.
  16. peppapug

peppapug PetForums Senior

A tough emotional decision for you but i think it is unanimous in it's response. It was a decision made for the good of all the dogs involved. I hope bear is happy in his new home :)

17. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

A very tough decision - you must of dragged yourself over hot coals trying to decide what was for the best.
    Sounds like you made the right choice for all the dogs - Hope Barney settles downs quickly and you can break his nibling habit.
    I'm sure Bear is in heaven playing with Zeb.

18. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

I think you did the right thing for both Barney and Bear. I know it wasn't an easy thing to do. You know he has gone to a fantastic home with his brother and you can get loads of pics and updates.

19. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

As everyone has already said, there's no reason for us to be angry at you - you did what was best for both Bear and Barney, and you found him a fantastic home - most people would just pass an unwanted dog into the first person that shows interest in him, but you stuck by him and took him back on even after his other homes didn't work out, and you should be very proud of yourself for that!

What would have made us angry is if you had just ignored Barney's problems and kept hold of Bear for your own selfish reasons - but you didn't and so we're not angry with you at all :)

20. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

like others have said its very brave of u to do that its such a hard thing but u were doing right by your dogs and both will be happy for it, very hard decision to make but u did the right thing:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice